Coffee on Princess Ships

Hello all

Nice to see so many familiar names active on this Board. I hope you are all happy and healthy.

After some years pursuing land based tours we are rejoining the cruise set and have booked a Xmas/New Year trip through Asia on Sapphire Princess. This will be our first Princess cruise and while our Celebrity experiences give us a reasonable idea of what to expect I’m keen to double check on the important matter of coffee quality on board.

I’m presuming that free stuff onboard will generally the syrupy brewed stuff masquerading as coffee? I’m hoping the coffee available at the cafes might approach the type of espresso experience I can get every day at home? Therefore my question is, how drinkable are the specialty coffees on Princess?

There is a current discussion on the Princess Boards talking about adding a shot of espresso (or multiple shots) to brewed coffees and I’m a bit horrified that so many think that it’s a good idea. :o

Break any bad news to me gently please. :')

The coffee served on board is horrible. I even paid for a cup of the horrid stuff at the IC hoping it would be better than what's served in the buffet. I purchased the instant packets of Starbucks Columbian coffee and it's wonderful. We bring it along with us on cruises and enjoy it on our balcony in the morning. We order hot water from room service. I keep the carafes and go to Lido in the morning and get our own hot water and cups (they're larger than what you get from room service). Like food, coffee, etc., is subjective. But I know coffee and we're not a fan of Princess' coffee.

I purchased the instant packets of Starbucks Columbian coffee and it's wonderful. We bring it along with us on cruises and enjoy it on our balcony in the morning. We order hot water from room service

I go one step further and bring whole beans, a battery operated coffee grinder and an aeropress :-)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I purchased the instant packets of Starbucks Columbian coffee and it's wonderful. We bring it along with us on cruises and enjoy it on our balcony in the morning. We order hot water from room service. I keep the carafes and go to Lido in the morning and get our own hot water and cups (they're larger than what you get from room service). Like food, coffee, etc., is subjective. But I know coffee and we're not a fan of Princess' coffee.

Bother. I was afraid of that. :confused: Looks like I’ll need to pack my own solution.

Makes the purchase of a beverage package less attractive if I have to pack my own beans.

I go one step further and bring whole beans, a battery operated coffee grinder and an aeropress :-)

Yes I have an Aeropress too but my grinder is a hand wound one (keeps the exercise up ;p). Fortunately we have some awesome roasters here in Cairns so I won’t have to go too far to get some good beans.

Was hoping to avoid the extra luggage. :rolleyes:

Was hoping to avoid the extra luggage. :rolleyes:

It's a bummer if you have to fly to the port but definitely worth the effort.

When I was on the Golden Princess, I tried everything (espresso, americano filter etc). Honestly, if you closed your eyes you wouldn't know you were drinking coffee, so even if you brought some instant coffee like elliair suggested, it would be better.

It's a bummer if you have to fly to the port but definitely worth the effort.

When I was on the Golden Princess, I tried everything (espresso, americano filter etc). Honestly, if you closed your eyes you wouldn't know you were drinking coffee, so even if you brought some instant coffee like elliair suggested, it would be better.

Yes we are flying into Singapore and home from Shanghai. I have tropical clothes and winter layers to pack. Never mind, that’s part of the fun.

It’s a bit of a shock to the system to learn that instant coffee from Starbucks is considered superior to the espresso on board. :o

We are really quite spoiled for choice here in Australia aren’t we?

I find the espresso is OK, not the best blend I've ever had but drinkable when you find someone who makes it properly. I don't drink the milky speciality coffees as they use long life milk which, to me, tastes horrible when steamed.

On our recent Diamond Princess cruise we found the best place to get good espresso was Crooners.

American coffee and milk is disgusting. Combine the two and its even worse! Most cruise ships use the long life milk and it is awful. Makes cocktails seem worthwhile.

Steve.

Well I'm a coffee drinker, at home I grind my own beans immediately prior to making the cup. Now the operative words are "Coffee Drinker", not some devils brew of milk and sugar, or worse, steam scalded milk, just Coffee as black as the inside of a cows guts.

I personally have not found any ship that produces a cup of coffee that I can't drink! Some are better than others, as in the Carnival grind and brew machines, but so far as I, and several others that have posted on this forum, have stated previously, find none of it too bad to drink.

I personally have not found any ship that produces a cup of coffee that I can't drink! Some are better than others, as in the Carnival grind and brew machines, but so far as I, and several others that have posted on this forum, have stated previously, find none of it too bad to drink.

Agree, coffee is a very variable commodity, including the skill of the 'barista'. At home & work, I drink instant (for convenience) with milk & a little sugar, but always take the opportunity for a 'real' barista coffee when I can, both on land & sea & find a wide variety in my coffee, even from outlets from the same chain. If I can drink the coffee without needing to add sugar, I consider that good.

I work for an American owned company, and on my travels there have found their 'brewed' coffee to range from fair to terrible - I guess making coffee and then leaving it sitting simmering away for hours in the pot doesn't lend itself to nice coffee. But I find the correct mix of milk & sugar can make it palatable :-) This is also my finding for the regular 'free' coffee on the cruiselines I have been on - RCI & Carnival.

Specifically on Princess, I found the brewed coffee ok, and the barista flat whites from IC perfectly fine.

It doesn't! I tried the Nutty Irishman coffee - brewed coffee with Irish whiskey and Frangelico, and that didn't disguise the taste, plus the brewed coffee, or maybe the cream they use, really upset my tummy.

A lot of people take the Nestle Cuppacino type sachets but I find them worse than the coffee onboard. I’d prefer to drink tea.

Ditto, I don't like any form of instant coffee these days. I do like one espresso per day onboard though.

It doesn't! I tried the Nutty Irishman coffee - brewed coffee with Irish whiskey and Frangelico, and that didn't disguise the taste, plus the brewed coffee, or maybe the cream they use, really upset my tummy.

Maybe there was too much coffee and not enough whiskey;p

A lot of people take the Nestle Cuppacino type sachets but I find them worse than the coffee onboard. I’d prefer to drink tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like tea or the sachets if hard pressed for a hit of coffee, nearly anything is better than the syrup coffee.