Alaska - Planning Help - Looking for suggestions/advice

Noreen411

Sorry just getting back to you - yes, the land tour through the cruise line was very structured, and we did stay in three different hotels, so you kind of live out of your suitcase for three days. But it is hard to fit in that much as the distances between places is vast. Lots of travel time getting to and from places. But, many do DIY - OCSC Mike is going to post a review soon, and he and his wife spent 10 days touring Alaska on their own.

Hi

I think that structure would be too much for us, so I’m going to get lots of ideas from the reports but will have to do extra research to figure out how to DIY for the land portion.

My husband likes road trips so I don’t think he’ll be too bothered by the travel times. I have to figure those out a bit more too.

Thank you

Noreen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I actually finished it yesterday. I composed it in a Word document with the photo URL's ready to go but it's going to take a while to paste into CC as I'll have to break it up into many posts (I'm going to try one per trip day) and insert the photos. The pasting also had some issues when I was testing it that I have to fix after pasting it. Anyway, it's coming sooner rather than later, it's just going be a bit of a pain.

Hi

I read what you have posted so far. Great job. I know it’s a lot of work to do the reviews (especially when adding in pictures).

I am very interested in the DIY land portion since that’s what we’re considering now as well.

I hope you don’t mind but I may have some questions as you continue your report :)

Thank you

Noreen

I haven't read all the comments yet so perhaps someone has already covered this:

You've said your husband's birthday is June and possibly doing a Southbound land & cruise trip. If you are starting the trip in late May or early June, it may be better to do a North bound cruise followed by land. June 7 is when the shuttles started going all the way in to Denali (Wonder Lake). In May they aren't even getting to Eielson Visitor Center. Plus the shuttles get more frequent starting June 7 - handy if you want to take advantage of getting off for a hike & boarding a later one.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Hi

Luckily his birthday is the end of June so it sounds like we should be OK with the timing.

We were thinking land first then cruise, but will probably look at both options as we continue researching and finalizing our plans.

Thank you

Noreen

You could do a hotel near Denali for several nights & one in Anchorage for several nights. There are a number of places you could do as day trips from Anchorage.

The practically of that partly depends on how you feel about long drives. It is about 7 hours driving time from Seward or Whittier to Denali (plus time to pick up a car in Anchorage if you take a shuttle to Anchorage for a cheaper round trip rental).

I think it is worthwhile to also do a couple of nights in Seward.

This chart of mileage/travel times may help you. http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

Actually alaska.org is a good resource in general. Look under Things To Do for Scenic Drives .... it provides suggested stopping points for various trips.

Given the distances in Alaska, your travels will be greatly limited if you try to base yourself somewhere and do day trips. So maybe compromise.... visit Denali which is a minimum 3 day trip (5 hrs each way from Anchorage plus one day for a shuttle thru the park) and with your other days you could stay in or near Anchorage and do day trips to explore sights along the Turnagain Arm, AND an ice trek at Matanuska Glacier along with Independence Mine. There are certainly other options; these are 2 popular ones.

It's not the most efficient itinerary , but it might work better for your travel style.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/matanuska-glacier-scenic-drive

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

If Denali isn't a priority, you could spend the 5 or 6 days on the Kenai Peninsula for more sea-based activities. You could spend a couple of days in Seward, drive to Homer for a few days, then return the car to Seward or and take the evening train to Anchorage for your flight home.

Don't force yourself to develop an itinerary in the next 2 weeks! Most vendors will be around until mid Sept or later to answer calls take reservations.

But if you have a general time frame, reserve a car whenever you see a good rate. ie AVIS currently has compacts for $400 a week and the Enterprise office at the airport is $500. If it drops again, cancel and re-book. Just be sure there are no cancel fees!

Factors to consider with mainland. Distances are vast and time is your best friend. :) Consider going for as long as possible. It's a mistake- to give a priority to minimal "hotels". Alaska requires being on the move and in convenient proximity to your activities. Backtracking wastes valuable time that is far better spent elsewhere.

An option to consider,would be a RV rental. Do NOT expect any savings, (you'll be lucky to get 10mpg), but it would eliminate your packing issue. They pair excellent with Alaska. So much open space, no traffic, pull offs, fridge and bathrooms can be huge advantages. :)

Maybe read up on RV trip reports as well? I've rented Rv's in Alaska several times.

Noreen...I read and thoroughly enjoyed your recent review on the Celebrity board. I started writing a trip report for my family's Alaska vacation before we left...partly to talk about some of my research and planning process.

Here's my two cents.

Alaska is so full of possibility. You have to create your own kind of boundary to limit the choices. If you try to start down the road of what is the BEST, then you will be deep in the weeds of planning...the choices are so overwhelming...sometimes, you just have to picture your vacation and what is an attractive to you thing to do...and run with that, making that picture into the best it can be.

Most plans are a crap shoot anyway...because weather and wildlife will out. Good points here about the timing of accessibility...but with your dates, I don't think that June 7 date will come into play.

I would recommend that you do a land plus cruise vacation. We sailed northbound with land post-cruise. This worked for us as we saw the scenery get more and more dramatic. Hubbard was like the grand finale for the cruise portion. Then we were finally able to be IN Alaska after all the dabbling that we had done along the coast. I think part of it all is a mindset...so if you are attracted to the idea of land first...doing the more rigorous touring first thing and ending on a more relaxing note...then pursue that idea and make it the best it can be.

I would also suggest that when you think about visiting Alaska...what do you think about? Is it Denali? Is it salmon fishing? Is it glaciers? Again...rather than read and read and read about all the wonderful things to do and then trying to pick out the best one...think about being home again after having gone to Alaska...what did you do? What things do you think of that is the quintessential Alaska TO YOU?

The days are long...so you will have plenty of time to do the driving. Didn't you drive down to Florida for your cruise? I'm sorry...I could go look but...

No one has mentioned the book to you yet...but it's called The Milepost. It details what all you can see and do on the highways of Alaska. I ordered it because I knew I wanted it...but I saw a copy in my local Barnes and Noble. Also...there may be an online version. If you enjoy road trips...this book will be one of your greatest references.

I think the hardest thing about planning Alaska is letting go of all the possibilities...and just tuning into what fits your own vision and your own family's idea of travel and vacation.

You could do a hotel near Denali for several nights & one in Anchorage for several nights. There are a number of places you could do as day trips from Anchorage.

The practically of that partly depends on how you feel about long drives. It is about 7 hours driving time from Seward or Whittier to Denali (plus time to pick up a car in Anchorage if you take a shuttle to Anchorage for a cheaper round trip rental).

I think it is worthwhile to also do a couple of nights in Seward.

Hi

My husband likes road trips so I think we’ll be fine with longer drives.

Thank you for the information

Noreen

This chart of mileage/travel times may help you. http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

Actually alaska.org is a good resource in general. Look under Things To Do for Scenic Drives .... it provides suggested stopping points for various trips.

Given the distances in Alaska, your travels will be greatly limited if you try to base yourself somewhere and do day trips. So maybe compromise.... visit Denali which is a minimum 3 day trip (5 hrs each way from Anchorage plus one day for a shuttle thru the park) and with your other days you could stay in or near Anchorage and do day trips to explore sights along the Turnagain Arm, AND an ice trek at Matanuska Glacier along with Independence Mine. There are certainly other options; these are 2 popular ones.

It's not the most efficient itinerary , but it might work better for your travel style.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/matanuska-glacier-scenic-drive

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

If Denali isn't a priority, you could spend the 5 or 6 days on the Kenai Peninsula for more sea-based activities. You could spend a couple of days in Seward, drive to Homer for a few days, then return the car to Seward or and take the evening train to Anchorage for your flight home.

Don't force yourself to develop an itinerary in the next 2 weeks! Most vendors will be around until mid Sept or later to answer calls take reservations.

But if you have a general time frame, reserve a car whenever you see a good rate. ie AVIS currently has compacts for $400 a week and the Enterprise office at the airport is $500. If it drops again, cancel and re-book. Just be sure there are no cancel fees!

Hi

This is great information - thank you.

I know it’s probably a huge priority for most, but I am thinking maybe Denali isn’t a priority for us. The idea of sitting in a bus with a bunch of strangers for 8 hours is not appealing at all. We are animal lovers but I think there are probably other ways to see the animals.

I’m glad you mentioned not forcing myself to develop my itinerary in 2 weeks. I was starting to make myself nuts thinking I have to cram this in and get it done. I think we should decide some of the basics, like which cruise ship and date and work from there.

Thank you for your advice

Noreen

Factors to consider with mainland. Distances are vast and time is your best friend. :) Consider going for as long as possible. It's a mistake- to give a priority to minimal "hotels". Alaska requires being on the move and in convenient proximity to your activities. Backtracking wastes valuable time that is far better spent elsewhere.

An option to consider,would be a RV rental. Do NOT expect any savings, (you'll be lucky to get 10mpg), but it would eliminate your packing issue. They pair excellent with Alaska. So much open space, no traffic, pull offs, fridge and bathrooms can be huge advantages. :)

Maybe read up on RV trip reports as well? I've rented Rv's in Alaska several times.

Hi.

Understood that distances are vast and we won’t be able to see as much if we limit the number of hotels. But I also want to make sure we have a great time and I think constantly changing hotels would be more stressful and take away from our enjoyment.

I don’t think an RV is for us. We like the amenities of nicer hotels and that’s part of the fun of traveling for us. An RV is definitely an interesting suggestion.

Thank you

Noreen

Noreen...I read and thoroughly enjoyed your recent review on the Celebrity board. I started writing a trip report for my family's Alaska vacation before we left...partly to talk about some of my research and planning process.

Here's my two cents.

Alaska is so full of possibility. You have to create your own kind of boundary to limit the choices. If you try to start down the road of what is the BEST, then you will be deep in the weeds of planning...the choices are so overwhelming...sometimes, you just have to picture your vacation and what is an attractive to you thing to do...and run with that, making that picture into the best it can be.

Most plans are a crap shoot anyway...because weather and wildlife will out. Good points here about the timing of accessibility...but with your dates, I don't think that June 7 date will come into play.

I would recommend that you do a land plus cruise vacation. We sailed northbound with land post-cruise. This worked for us as we saw the scenery get more and more dramatic. Hubbard was like the grand finale for the cruise portion. Then we were finally able to be IN Alaska after all the dabbling that we had done along the coast. I think part of it all is a mindset...so if you are attracted to the idea of land first...doing the more rigorous touring first thing and ending on a more relaxing note...then pursue that idea and make it the best it can be.

I would also suggest that when you think about visiting Alaska...what do you think about? Is it Denali? Is it salmon fishing? Is it glaciers? Again...rather than read and read and read about all the wonderful things to do and then trying to pick out the best one...think about being home again after having gone to Alaska...what did you do? What things do you think of that is the quintessential Alaska TO YOU?

The days are long...so you will have plenty of time to do the driving. Didn't you drive down to Florida for your cruise? I'm sorry...I could go look but...

No one has mentioned the book to you yet...but it's called The Milepost. It details what all you can see and do on the highways of Alaska. I ordered it because I knew I wanted it...but I saw a copy in my local Barnes and Noble. Also...there may be an online version. If you enjoy road trips...this book will be one of your greatest references.

I think the hardest thing about planning Alaska is letting go of all the possibilities...and just tuning into what fits your own vision and your own family's idea of travel and vacation.

Hi.

I am glad you enjoyed my review of Reflection. It was a great trip. You are correct - we rented a car and drove down to Ft Lauderdale from NJ. We flew home after the cruise.

Very good points. What’s right for others may not be right for me. It’s after I read your post and we started talking about Denali that I realized it may not be right for us as majestic as it is. Being stuck in a bus with strangers for 8 hours is not our idea of fun.

So now I am going to try to approach planning with those thoughts in mind - what will make Alaska special for us? I still have lots of reading and planning to get to that point. But it may end up being eliminating things that I originally thought were important to get to what we really want to do.

And I have to keep in mind that we won’t see everything on one trip.

I will take a look for the book you recommended as well.

I started reading your review also - great job so far. I know how much work goes into doing a detailed review like that but it sounds like you enjoy doing it too. I enjoy doing them since it’s a great way to help remember the trip as well as have something to look back on later.

Thank you for your help

Noreen

Here's my two cents.

Hi

I just ordered the book from Amazon :)

Thank you again for all your advice.

Noreen

If you do a B2B on Princess on the Northbound cruise you visit both Glacier Bay and College Fjord. There is also enough port time in Juneau to do the all day small boat tour with Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm. The Southbound leg visits both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

With two stops in Ketchikan you can do the Deadliest Catch tour on one visit and the other to see more sights. Same in Juneau, Adventure Bound northbound and the Southbound for whatever else intrerests you. In Skagway I'd take the Lake Bennett train or at least the longer train/bus combo one week and the 2nd a flight over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying.

Turnaround day in Whittier is either a trip into Anchorage or a 26 Glacier boat trip for me

For me the sweet spot of a B2B is the couple of days before and after Whittier when you're in Glacier heaven :)

I know it’s probably a huge priority for most, but I am thinking maybe Denali isn’t a priority for us. The idea of sitting in a bus with a bunch of strangers for 8 hours is not appealing at all. We are animal lovers but I think there are probably other ways to see the animals.

It sounds like you are making wrong assumptions. With shuttle buses, the time flies by. and you can get on and off the bus, any time you choose.

No, there aren't other good ways to see wildlife- In the wild, in the variety or numbers that there is in Denali. Unless, you are good with a zoo, or captivity?

Add to the mix, the bargain touring open in Alaska. The ride in/out is ever changing with dramatic spectacular scenery . Highlighting the vastness and beauty of Alaska. Pure and simple. no it's not for everyone. But anyone going to Alaska to see the "frontier, beauty, wildlife and vastness" Denali sure delivers. :)

I don’t think an RV is for us. We like the amenities of nicer hotels and that’s part of the fun of traveling for us. An RV is definitely an interesting suggestion.

Thank you

Noreen

Agreed I don't do RV;'s anywhere else. :) BUT your mention of "luggage" is then solved. :)

However, realistically, you are going to have to be way more accepting of the Motel 6 variety than the "nicer" hotels. You are going to be disappointed.

Only a suggestion, the lodging, in Alaska can some times, be insignificant with the activities/location taking the priority, and wanting to be immersed in the vastness beauty and experience.

Take your time planning and find the right mix for you. Keep reworking and fine tuning. The more you find out and read the more ideas and more likely you are going to change you mind. This process yields better plans. Don't jump into reservation until your entire plan is finalized.

Noreen,

So happy you posted his thread as I am finally looking to go to Alaska next May/June. I am even willing to try another line - read good reports of HA this year. However, I am pulled in different directions from reading glacier bay or no glacier bay. I am not a fan of connecting flights so thinking either Vancouver round trip or Seattle. Still not sure.

If you do a B2B on Princess on the Northbound cruise you visit both Glacier Bay and College Fjord. There is also enough port time in Juneau to do the all day small boat tour with Adventure Bound to Tracy Arm. The Southbound leg visits both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

With two stops in Ketchikan you can do the Deadliest Catch tour on one visit and the other to see more sights. Same in Juneau, Adventure Bound northbound and the Southbound for whatever else intrerests you. In Skagway I'd take the Lake Bennett train or at least the longer train/bus combo one week and the 2nd a flight over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying.

Turnaround day in Whittier is either a trip into Anchorage or a 26 Glacier boat trip for me

For me the sweet spot of a B2B is the couple of days before and after Whittier when you're in Glacier heaven :)

Hi

You are the first who is recommending the B2B.

I like the convenience of a lot less logistical planning of the B2B.

Those sound like great suggestions.

I’ll have to look at the Princess itineraries too.

Thank you

Noreen

It sounds like you are making wrong assumptions. With shuttle buses, the time flies by. and you can get on and off the bus, any time you choose.

No, there aren't other good ways to see wildlife- In the wild, in the variety or numbers that there is in Denali. Unless, you are good with a zoo, or captivity?

Add to the mix, the bargain touring open in Alaska. The ride in/out is ever changing with dramatic spectacular scenery . Highlighting the vastness and beauty of Alaska. Pure and simple. no it's not for everyone. But anyone going to Alaska to see the "frontier, beauty, wildlife and vastness" Denali sure delivers. :)

Hi.

I’m going to look into those Denali bus tours a little more. There is a live thread now where they did one of the tours and had good things to say about it.

Understand that it’s probably one of the best ways to see certain things, but I have to balance that with making sure the trip is right for us.

Thank you

Noreen

Agreed I don't do RV;'s anywhere else. :) BUT your mention of "luggage" is then solved. :)

However, realistically, you are going to have to be way more accepting of the Motel 6 variety than the "nicer" hotels. You are going to be disappointed.

Only a suggestion, the lodging, in Alaska can some times, be insignificant with the activities/location taking the priority, and wanting to be immersed in the vastness beauty and experience.

Take your time planning and find the right mix for you. Keep reworking and fine tuning. The more you find out and read the more ideas and more likely you are going to change you mind. This process yields better plans. Don't jump into reservation until your entire plan is finalized.

Hi.

I’m going to have to do some more research into the hotels.

If most of them are going to be Motel 6 variety that is going to be a definite change from what we’re expecting.

We are holding off making reservations while we continue researching.

Thank you for the advice

Noreen

Noreen,

So happy you posted his thread as I am finally looking to go to Alaska next May/June. I am even willing to try another line - read good reports of HA this year. However, I am pulled in different directions from reading glacier bay or no glacier bay. I am not a fan of connecting flights so thinking either Vancouver round trip or Seattle. Still not sure.

Hi

Glad to hear I’m not the only one in the planning cycle. And that this thread is helping others too.

It’s definitely a lot more work than planning a Caribbean cruise.

Would you share your plans / planning process with the thread as well?

Thank you

Noreen

Hi.

If most of them are going to be Motel 6 variety that is going to be a definite change from what we’re expecting.

Maybe look at accomodations other than hotels......

There are some lovely cabins and small lodges in many locations.

Such as Homestead Guest Cabins near Matanuska Glacier :

https://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

Summit Lake Lodge which is halfway between Anchorage and Seward:

http://www.summitlakelodge.com/lodging

Windsong Lodge in Seward:

https://www.alaskacollection.com/lodging/seward-windsong-lodge/experience/

Or a Bed and Breakfast , such as Hidden Creek in Girdwood about 45 minutes south of Anchorage:

https://hiddencreekbb.com/guest-rooms/

There are plenty of hotels above the level of a Motel 6. Not much that is Hyatt Regency or Ritz Carlton level - except perhaps in Anchorage (Captain Cook? - We didn't stay there but that's supposed to be nice. We stayed at the Voyager Inn which is a sister property and gives you access to the Captain Cook gym, but weren't around long enough to try it.)

There are places that are Best Western level (including some that are Best Western properties).

As Maple Leaves mentioned, there are also bed and breakfasts, cabins and lodges. What is kind of a pain is that some of those properties are very small; some even just 2 or 3 rooms so you may have to call around or look at a lot of them on line to find the ones that have availability on the dates you want.

Hotel prices can be pretty high.

Hi.

Maybe look at accomodations other than hotels......

There are some lovely cabins and small lodges in many locations.

Such as Homestead Guest Cabins near Matanuska Glacier :

https://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

Summit Lake Lodge which is halfway between Anchorage and Seward:

http://www.summitlakelodge.com/lodging

Windsong Lodge in Seward:

https://www.alaskacollection.com/lodging/seward-windsong-lodge/experience/

Or a Bed and Breakfast , such as Hidden Creek in Girdwood about 45 minutes south of Anchorage:

https://hiddencreekbb.com/guest-rooms/

Hi

I will look into them.

Thank you for the information

Noreen

There are plenty of hotels above the level of a Motel 6. Not much that is Hyatt Regency or Ritz Carlton level - except perhaps in Anchorage (Captain Cook? - We didn't stay there but that's supposed to be nice. We stayed at the Voyager Inn which is a sister property and gives you access to the Captain Cook gym, but weren't around long enough to try it.)

There are places that are Best Western level (including some that are Best Western properties).

As Maple Leaves mentioned, there are also bed and breakfasts, cabins and lodges. What is kind of a pain is that some of those properties are very small; some even just 2 or 3 rooms so you may have to call around or look at a lot of them on line to find the ones that have availability on the dates you want.

Hotel prices can be pretty high.

Hi

I need to do some more research into the lodging.

This is definitely a lot more work than planning a Caribbean cruise.

Thank you

Noreen

We would not be in a position to do more than 1 evening precruise stay. Due to taking 11 vacation days for the Symphony TA, I need to be conservative with vacation time. So my dilemma is which ship and itinerary. I think the top 3 for me right now are the nieuw Amsterdam, solstice and the ovation. Although the Bliss looks like a great one as well. I can’t decide ��