Dressing for a Ketchican Float Plane excursion

pmb0602

We have a float plane excursion while in Ketchican and was wondering how to dress. Would it be appropriate to dress for the outside weather or is it colder while up in the air? Never been in a smaller plane like this.

Pam

We did a float plane ride over Misty Fjords on 6/21.

It was not colder on the plane. Actually took my raincoat off during flight. Did put it back on when we got off at the lake stop. We also wore hiking books (precaution should I have walked too close to edge of lake).

It was a great excursion- enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No clothing modifications required for the float plane excursion. Temperature in the plane is comfortable. Temperature at the fjords is actually usually a little warmer than at the cruise dock. Limit your "stuff", there's not a lot of extra room on the plane.

Enjoy - it's fantastic!

Richard

Depending on who you are flying with I received a list of things I could bring on board. Only small purse/fanny pack, binoculars, camera and lenses. NO big camera bags, shopping bags, or back packs, or purses. They will be stored for us at the office.

We just took a flight 2 weeks ago. The plane only climbs to a few thousand feet, so not much difference in temps. There is generally plenty of fresh air circulating. Dress for the weather outside, as you will probably be outside the plane for 15-20 minutes walking around.

We took a float plane tour in Ketchikan in mid-June. It was our sunniest day, 70 degrees outside, but it was warmer inside our plane. I took off my layers down to a t-shirt and rolled up my pants. It was a little turbulent so I appreciated being able to take off those layers and sip some cold water. We landed in a mountain lake and our pilot gave us the time to take our shoes off to wade in the water. It was beautiful!

Depending on who you are flying with I received a list of things I could bring on board. Only small purse/fanny pack, binoculars, camera and lenses. NO big camera bags, shopping bags, or back packs, or purses. They will be stored for us at the office.

Thank you for the heads up. We haven't received any such list but it certainly makes sense as I don't imagine there is much storage space on the planes. We will be sure to bring only what fits in our pockets!

• 2 weeks later...
We did a float plane ride over Misty Fjords on 6/21.

It was not colder on the plane. Actually took my raincoat off during flight. Did put it back on when we got off at the lake stop. We also wore hiking books (precaution should I have walked too close to edge of lake).

It was a great excursion- enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking into a float plane over Misty Fjords in a few weeks.

What compnay did you use? would you recommend them?

Taquan Air did a nice job on our flight last week. 10 or 11 passengers on the plane. The only thing I missed was that we only got out on the float part of the plane when we landed on the lake- last time we went we actually walked in a beach at the lake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I second the recommendation to fly with Island wings.Michelle was the pilot and also the owner of the company. Very friendly and has been in Alaska since her teens. We were on the Grand Princess and it docked just a 5 minute walk from the office so we walked there and did not need to picked up at the entrance to town. Then after the flight we got driven to town. The flight was so smooth and the scenery cannot be beat.

Did you get out and walk around? How long were you in the air? Thanks.

I second the recommendation to fly with Island wings.Michelle was the pilot and also the owner of the company. Very friendly and has been in Alaska since her teens. We were on the Grand Princess and it docked just a 5 minute walk from the office so we walked there and did not need to picked up at the entrance to town. Then after the flight we got driven to town. The flight was so smooth and the scenery cannot be beat.