First Time Planning - Help with Decision!

JenniferHT

I am planning a cruise to Alaska for June or July 2019 for 4 people (2 adults & 2 children). Based on cruises to Glacier Bay and my husband's work schedule, I'm limited to the following options: 1) Nieuw Amsterdam - RT Vancouver, 2) Eurodam - RT Seattle, 3) Volendam - RT Vancouver, 4) Norwegian Bliss - RT Seattle, 5) Ruby Princess - RT Seattle

I'm inclined toward the Niew Amsterdam as it is out of Vancouver and seems to have better reviews than the Volendam. It also spends less time on the open water and I have a child who gets motion sick sometimes. I was planning to book a Neptune Suite because a balcony seems good & I was thinking that would give us more room for kids, etc. Does this all seem reasonable?

My other question is regarding excursions. I read on here that if you are booking the Neptune suite, that you should consider booking a luxury cruise line instead because cost + excursions + other costs can sometimes equal that of the luxury line. How much should I expect to spend for a family of 4 on excursions, etc? Should I be considering another ship/cruise, even though it would rule out going to Glacier Bay?

Thanks!!

What excursions are you considering? There are hundreds. In my opinion, half the trip is going to be what you do in the ports (which, isn't the place to skimp) :)

I suggest you figure out what you want out of your ports and what tours there are. Start with your shore excursion list and keep narrowing down your interests.

Couldn’t agree more. We did this on our recent first trip there & will continue to plan our future trips around excursions. Looking at port itineraries is part of this, sure, but I could honestly care less about the ship there.

For me, I care about the ship in the Caribbean b/c I’ve been there so often that it plays a much larger role in the trip (plus, since we’re loyal to Royal, that will always involve a huge one with lots of extra features). I went to Alaska for Alaska & will continue to do so.

Just one man’s opinion of course.

I also agree that the excursions and ports are much more important than the specific cruise line or ship. Find excursions that interest you, then find the itinerary that spends the most time in those ports. This is especially important since you are limited to a r/t itinerary based on your comments. They tend to have less ports and / or time in ports than one-way itineraries.

As far as excursions in Alaska, they are generally quite a bit more expensive than an equivalent excursion in the Caribbean. We averaged about $ 150 - $ 175 pp per day on excursions on our trip last May, and did not take any flight seeing excursions. Obviously you can spend much less by taking advantage of public transportation, hiking or just walking around the port towns. You could also spend much more if you choose flights to land on a glacier, etc. It’s what you are interested in that is important.

I will echo Budget Queen’s comment not to be skimpy with your budget on excursions, especially if it is something you really want to do. The cost in time and money to get back to Alaska to do something you skipped will cost you much more than the few hundred $ you save by skipping it while you are already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Prices I am paying: Tracy Arm Excursion from ship, $240 per person; Ketchikan Misty Fords float plane, $239 per person, booked independently; Skagway, car rental for drive up the Yukon Hwy. Avis, full size car, $174. We are booked on Volendam in an OV room. Didn't want to pay for a balcony on this ship, as they are suites. Have fun planning.

My other question is regarding excursions. I read on here that if you are booking the Neptune suite, that you should consider booking a luxury cruise line instead because cost + excursions + other costs can sometimes equal that of the luxury line.

"Luxury" doesn't mean excursions are included. Some excursions are included on Regent and Viking (I don't think Viking sails AK yet, though?) Absolutely do a comparison to see what YOU would spend your money on and whether or not a luxury line might include those items....