Undecided heli tour? Skagway vs Juneau

CRZe787

I want to take kids to heli glacier and sled tour.

Undecided wether to do it in skagway or juneau...

Any inputs, and things to consider...?

I know they are expensive so we want to get the most fun out of it...

Thax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have not done it myself but a relative who is very active thoroughly enjoyed doing a hike on the Mendenhall Glacier after helicoptering out there. He and his bride have pictures of them climbing ice walls and hopping over huge crevasses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We highly recommend Coastal Helicopters in Juneau. This was absolutely the highlight of our trip. We did the dog sled tour with additional glacier landing. We were able to visit the dog camp and engage with the dogs prior to and after our sledding. We also got to stand up and”mush” the dogs...what a thrill! Afterwards we flew to a lower glacial level and were able to inspect deep blue cravasses, blue glacier ice and moulins.

We highly recommend Coastal Helicopters in Juneau. This was absolutely the highlight of our trip. We did the dog sled tour with additional glacier landing. We were able to visit the dog camp and engage with the dogs prior to and after our sledding. We also got to stand up and”mush” the dogs...what a thrill! Afterwards we flew to a lower glacial level and were able to inspect deep blue cravasses, blue glacier ice and moulins.

We just did this tour while we were in Juneau - it was fantastic. Our son was 8 and he loved the dog sledding. He stood on back like a pro. We did miss the second landing due to weather, but they were good about refunding us some of our money back [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thx a lot that helps

I know weather plays a huge factor..

We are planning Coastal heli as well.

If it gets cancelled then I guess we save some money otherwise we might just enjoy the ride.

Thx a lot that helps

I know weather plays a huge factor..

We are planning Coastal heli as well.

If it gets cancelled then I guess we save some money otherwise we might just enjoy the ride.

We made first landing, but just missed the second. Our son was seated next to pilot and fell asleep on ride back...lol... if you make it up there, the group running our dog sled Adventure was Alaska Icefield Expeditions. Jessie is manager, and we had Megan as musher - she was great! they had three puppies too!

. We also got to stand up and”mush” the dogs...what a thrill!

For accuracy you were a rider on a tandem sled. The driver was "mushing" the dogs? You weren't making the calls I'll speculate.

There is the option to do this, which I have done, but, via a separate trips and more time investment. I've used http://www.pawsforadventure.com/tours/mushing-school/

All the glacier dog sled tours are similar . IF it's a 'must", then book at your first opportunity with the possibility of trying to book again, if canceled.

This is the most canceled tour for Alaska cruisers. So always have back up plans.

Had a great time doing heli/dogs in Skagway with Temsco the other day. It was actually a replacement for a cancelled heli/dog trip in Girdwood due to bad weather & we were stuck grabbing what we could last minute but had zero complaints.

WE went with Coastal in Juneau. I knew this is most cancelled excursion, So I figured that I if we got cancelled , we would have a small chance to reschedule in Skagway. Also what are your choices for the port you do not dog sled in? Chose the one where you have the least interesting alternative.

WE went with Coastal in Juneau. I knew this is most cancelled excursion, So I figured that I if we got cancelled , we would have a small chance to reschedule in Skagway. Also what are your choices for the port you do not dog sled in? Chose the one where you have the least interesting alternative.

We thought the same when we booked. In Skagway, we did White Pass Train because my son loves trains. It was beautiful scenery. In Icy Straight Point, we did whale watch. Awesome, saw lots of whales and marine life. In Ketchikan we did trolley and lumberjack show. It was fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We chose to do it in Skagway because you have a better chance of good weather in Skagway. Helicopter tours often get canceled due to weather, so we wanted to do everything we could to maximize our chances of being able to do it. We went with Temsco in Skagway, and it was a trip of a lifetime... just absolutely epic, and far surpassed what were already high expectations!

We chose to do it in Skagway because you have a better chance of good weather in Skagway. Helicopter tours often get canceled due to weather, so we wanted to do everything we could to maximize our chances of being able to do it. We went with Temsco in Skagway, and it was a trip of a lifetime... just absolutely epic, and far surpassed what were already high expectations!

Sorry, your thinking is inaccurate. Skagway certainly, cancels too, (has happened to me) and you have more chances of helicopter flights in Juneau, since, there are 3 vendors, and alternative areas.

Take a look at a map, ice fields are all close by.

Sorry, your thinking is inaccurate. Skagway certainly, cancels too, (has happened to me) and you have more chances of helicopter flights in Juneau, since, there are 3 vendors, and alternative areas.

Take a look at a map, ice fields are all close by.

OK... Well I had read things like this on CruiseCritic when I was making the decision:

"
One word of advice, however, that was given to us by someone whom we met on board one of our cruises last year (he has been cruisung Alaska for 15 years)...of all the ports, the helicopter trips are cancelled more often out of Juneau than any other port due to its weather patterns. Juneau is apparently more prone to fog and low clouds than most of the other ports (although you can get those conditions anywhere in Alaska). As it turned out, on our June Alaska cruise last year, all helicopter flights were cancelled out of Juneau for exactly that reason. So if all things are equal and your schedule would permit, I'd opt for the Skagway helicopter tour."

So... I was basing my comments off other things I had read on this board. Certainly helicopter tours can be cancelled in either location. I was not trying to say it was a sure thing in Skagway by any means. I don't have loads of knowledge on the weather in one port or the other...was just basing it off other comments. I apologize if my information was incorrect.

What we did was do helicopter in Juneau because it was our first stop - Skagway was second. This way if we got cancelled in Juneau we might be able to get on a helicopter tour in Skagway. Just a thought...

What I recommend - IF a priority. Consider booking in your first port, Then, have contacts known, and immediately attempt to find space.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Juneau and went with Northstar Trekking last Monday (07/16). They offer three different "treks" on the glacier and the shortest one is about an hour. It was the "more time on the glacier" that drew me to them. Even through we only did the shorter/easier "Walkabout" (due to our schedule) it was still great.

My second choice would have been Temsco with their "two separate" stops (aka "pilot's choice" I think), which would give you more flight-seeing time (I'm sure equally or even more awesome). The views from the air simply can't be beat - stunning.