Where and What to Buy?

dinkydee718

So I know this is a bit early, but between working PT, raising four kids (five if you count my dh), and running our household, if I don't get on this now I will never get it done...

I know I need to pack waterproof pants, umbrellas and jackets for August, but what about winter stuff? Do we need to bring winter jackets, hats, gloves, scarfs? Also, are there specific brands of waterproof clothing that are better than others (but won't break the bank)? As you can see, I'm a bit clueless...

Edited by dinkydee718
Typo

I know I need to pack waterproof pants, umbrellas and jackets for August, but what about winter stuff? Do we need to bring winter jackets, hats, gloves, scarfs? Also, are there specific brands of waterproof clothing that are better than others (but won't break the bank)? As you can see, I'm a bit clueless...

While you do need adequate rain gear, I disagree with what you think you "need." I live in the Seattle area and have been to Alaska 10 times, with another coming up in a week. I do not own rain pants and have never really felt a need for them. Do NOT go out and buy rain pants for all those kids if they don't already own them, and honestly, you probably don't need them yourself either.

Also, please leave your umbrellas at home. They will not work well on a moving ship due to wind. They would be obnoxious to try to use on a crowded deck during glacier viewing. And they are a nuisance in small, crowded port towns.

What you need is a good waterproof rain jacket with a hood. I like to wear a ball cap under my rain hood to keep the hood from falling in my face and to keep the rain off my glasses.

As for winter gear, you may want a hat and gloves for your glacier viewing, since it can be particularly cold near glaciers. They are small and don't take up much room in your luggage, so they are probably worth bringing. You do not need bulky winter coats!! You are much better off dressing in layers. This is discussed quite frequently on this board. You want to be able to add/remove layers at the weather changes.

I don't buy brand names unless I get really good deals. You don't want to spend tons of money on name brands for kids unless they will get a lot of use from them after the cruise. I cruised to Alaska with my kids when they were 2, 5, and 8. I didn't buy anything special for them. They had cheap plastic rain jackets, sneakers, and regular clothes. They've been back 3 times as teens/adults and they never took anything special, just their regular clothes, jeans, hoodies, sneakers... and they really didn't care. Of course, they are Seattle area natives, so they aren't rain wussies. :D

While you do need adequate rain gear, I disagree with what you think you "need." I live in the Seattle area and have been to Alaska 10 times, with another coming up in a week. I do not own rain pants and have never really felt a need for them. Do NOT go out and buy rain pants for all those kids if they don't already own them, and honestly, you probably don't need them yourself either.

Also, please leave your umbrellas at home. They will not work well on a moving ship due to wind. They would be obnoxious to try to use on a crowded deck during glacier viewing. And they are a nuisance in small, crowded port towns.

What you need is a good waterproof rain jacket with a hood. I like to wear a ball cap under my rain hood to keep the hood from falling in my face and to keep the rain off my glasses.

As for winter gear, you may want a hat and gloves for your glacier viewing, since it can be particularly cold near glaciers. They are small and don't take up much room in your luggage, so they are probably worth bringing. You do not need bulky winter coats!! You are much better off dressing in layers. This is discussed quite frequently on this board. You want to be able to add/remove layers at the weather changes.

I don't buy brand names unless I get really good deals. You don't want to spend tons of money on name brands for kids unless they will get a lot of use from them after the cruise. I cruised to Alaska with my kids when they were 2, 5, and 8. I didn't buy anything special for them. They had cheap plastic rain jackets, sneakers, and regular clothes. They've been back 3 times as teens/adults and they never took anything special, just their regular clothes, jeans, hoodies, sneakers... and they really didn't care. Of course, they are Seattle area natives, so they aren't rain wussies. :D

Preach it.

Do NOT go out and buy rain pants for all those kids if they don't already own them.

Also, please leave your umbrellas at home. They will not work well on a moving ship due to wind. They would be obnoxious to try to use on a crowded deck during glacier viewing.

We ski so we all have waterproof pants, really was looking for feedback on waterproof jackets, though I realize I didn't specify that.

Also, who would use an umbrella onboard a ship? Funny visual...

I think Sherry pretty much nailed it. It's not like you are going on a multi-day hike where you have to pack all your stuff on your backs and try to avoid getting wet as you have nowhere to dry out; you have a nice ship to return to each day where you can hang up any wet clothing, and plenty of luggage room for extra socks and shoes in case they get wet while out & about. Fancy breathable waterproofs are not going to add much value for you - unless you find them useful in your day to day lives at home, don't waste the cash on expensive branded outerwear.

Rain pants are useful to cut wind as well as rain, so might make some difference on a glacier day when you'll likely want to be on deck for extended periods, but unless you can find a dirt-cheap pair I prefer adding warmth by wearing long undies instead. I throw in a pair of cotton longjohns that fold up really small, and cost me less than $10, whenever I expect to be out and about in cold conditions - if you can find similarly-priced rain pants, then by all means get them instead. A cheap pair of 'one size fits all' dollar store gloves and scarf, stuffed inside a cheap toque for packing, keeps your other extremities toasty too

Also, spare socks aren't just useful if you get your feet wet - they also double as mittens in case it's unusually cold and thin gloves just aren't doing it for you, and a long 'boot' sock even works as a scarf in a pinch.

Edit - I see your follow-up now OP, so since you already have waterproof pants just take them IF they are uninsulated. If they're designed for serious cold though, keeping you toasty warm in sub-zero conditions as well as keeping the snow/water out, they will be overkill and probably too warm to actually wear unless it's freakishly cold!

Edited by martincath

We ski so we all have waterproof pants, really was looking for feedback on waterproof jackets, though I realize I didn't specify that.

Also, who would use an umbrella onboard a ship? Funny visual...

Heavy snow/ski pants are unnecessary. If they are a thin waterproof layer that you could wear over other pants and don't take up a lot of room in your luggage, they might be worthwhile.

You don't mention the ages of your kids. It's easy to find cheap rain jackets for little kids. My oldest had one that looked like a fireman jacket that he used for years. For teens, investing in something better might be worthwhile, if they will wear it at home, but like I said, mine just wore hoodies. Luckily it didn't rain terribly hard on any of the cruises they went on. Overall, don't spend a ton of money on anything that won't be reused often. I have a pretty good rain shell from Cabela's, but I wear it a lot here in the the Seattle area. I chose it mostly because it fit (it's sometimes hard to find things that fit my short by busty frame!) and I like the color.

Yes, I have seen people try to use umbrellas on deck and have them blown inside out. It was rather comical. I guess not everyone has the common sense to understand why it would be a bad idea. ;p

If you don't have waterproof shoes, get a silicone spray at Walmart or a camping store or Amazon and spray your shoes. We do lots of "wet" vacations so I have a good collection of wayerproof stuff, but I also have some comfy leather boots I like to travel with, so I spray those once or twice a year with waterproof spray.

Check thrift stores for clothing too - I got a fantastic pair of schoeller fabric hiking pants for $5 a few years back. A good lands end rain coat. Tons of fishing shirts for my husband. And so on... ;-)

I don't know that you need waterproof clothes. Pack an umbrella for port days in case it rains but don't expect to use it on the ship any. I think the most important thing to bring is a full zip fleece.

[YOUTUBE]gtguw4gm7FU[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know that you need waterproof clothes. Pack an umbrella for port days in case it rains but don't expect to use it on the ship any. I think the most important thing to bring is a full zip fleece.

Disagree - definitely have a waterproof outer layer (jackets are a must, imho) and ditch the umbrella

We went last September - didn't need any winter wear as we packed for layers. We did bring rain pants as rain was predicted in Sitka and Juneau - glad we brought them as we were one of the few that stayed out on deck during our whale watching tour in Juneau and we had downpours in Sitka. I already had waterproof hiking boots and my wife just used silicone spray on her sneakers and she was fine.