Something different in Juneau?

betonic

We are in Juneau Oct 2 which is pretty late in the season. Our stop is from 1-11pm. We are 4 active people age 45-55. We have been to Alaska before and don’t want to do the normal things. Anybody suggest a great private tour? Not interested in a large group.

We’re also looking for the best dinner experience in Juneau.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What types of things are you interested in? Are you interested in hiking? Juneau has some excellent trails. The closest to the port is the Perseverance Trail - to get to the trail head you walk through town, past the Russian church, and through a neighborhood with colorful houses. On the way you also pass the trail head to hike up Mt. Roberts where the tram goes. If you have a car, there's also the Treadwell Mine trail through an abandoned mine. Google any of these and you will get descriptions of the trails and directions to the trail head. There's also a self guided walking tour map for the mine online.

Read/search this board and there are lots of options in Juneau.

Have you thought about Juneau Food Tours? I thought it looked really interesting, but my Mom wasn’t up to the walking part of it. I cannot give a recommendation—just mentioning it since it seems well-received and you mentioned eating in Juneau.

We did the underground gold tour. It was very informative and interesting. John, who conducted the tour, knows a lot about mining and loves sharing his knowledge. Our group was small, but it was booked through the ship, so it doesn’t fit your exact criteria. I recommend it though as something different.

I would recommend the Alaska State Museum that was opened 2 years ago.

The Museum shows exhibits starting with the Indigenous people, Russian Occupation, Gold Rush, Japanese occupation of Alaska in WW2 and all the Alaska Industries and much more up to the current time. I have been to Museums all over the world, including Washington DC and The Alaska State Museum ranks near the top of the Museums. The Museum is 4 blocks north of the cruise dock and Admission is $12, Seniors 11 and children under 18 free.