Skagway Jeep rental - dog sled options?

Croh

Hi! We are planning to rent a green Jeep for our stop in Skagway at the end of the month. Some reviewers mentioned stopping for a dog sled tour, they made it seem like you could pop in - wondering if that’s true or if we need a specific reservation time? And wondering if there’s a specific one you would recommend? Thank you!!

Check out Tagish Lake Kennels. Since they don’t do large tours, Michelle suggested just stopping in since it is tough to know your exact schedule.

Some details in our trip report and in photos..

thank you SO much, I hadn't found this one in my searches, like the reasonable prices too!

With Tagish you just stop in, right side of the Klondike Highway, leaving Skagway. It's a small operation, and preferable compared to being at Caribou Crossing when the tours buses are all unloading. :)

I also agree with the other posters about Tagish. We went straight there without stopping at any of the pull offs. I think one of the draw of the Jeep is an audio tour, so that may not work for you.

We figured we'd beat the crowds to the dog camp and could always stop at the pull odds on the return.

When we got to the camp, there were only a few cars. We had a short wait until we could do a ride, but that time was easily passed by petting the puppies!

When it was time for our ride, they came and found us and got us loaded in. We were lucky enough to have Michelle as our musher.

After, they gave us a short talk and explained what it's like to compete in the races, then we cold spend as much time as we wanted with the puppies.

By the time we were leaving, it was getting more crowded - not crazy, but there would have been a longer wait for a ride. And the dogs need to cool off if it's hot, so that could extend the delay.