Early dining (or late) on the Empress?

Frncie

We have just booked a cruise westbound from Clarkston to Vancouver on the Snake and Columbia Rivers. Can hardly wait till next April!

Our TA put us down for Early Dining which, I take it, means 5:30. The other choice, I believe, is the main seating at 7:45. One seems a bit too early, and the other a bit too late, but I guess those are the choices.

What is everybody’s experience with these times? Pros and cons? How does it affect the cocktail hour and the shows?

We did the same in October 2016. When I booked, early dining was not available so we had to settle for late. We adapted and had a great week on the river. IIRC they have an early and late show to accommodate both dinner times.

We just cruised the Empress in October, and chose late dining (7:45) because we didn't want to rush back to the ship and hurry to get ready for the 5:30 dinner. Plus we thought we could have a drink in the lounge before dinner and relax. The show for our dinner time was at 6:30, and that allowed about 20 minutes after to finish getting ready for dinner or whatever. After dinner we'd head up to the lounge for a drink and to catch Frank's show (the piano player, he's GREAT). Then to bed. In retrospect, we'd pick early next time - hated going to bed on full tummies. Plus I think I'd rather do dinner/show/lounge in that order. If you choose to eat in the River Grill (you can make two dinner reservations there), you can pick whatever time you like. And a hint: If you like lobster, they serve it in the Grill every night. BUT they also served it in the dining room on our next to last dinner. So, if you play it right, you can get 3 lobster dinners :D My review was just posted in case you're interested: http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=d45a3453a18131286c839be59e35025c88154698404d4b9c78988bc3c26e4e3921456fef7c737b59264650d52934854c9995a701b9ebb41a

We just cruised the Empress in October, and chose late dining (7:45) because we didn't want to rush back to the ship and hurry to get ready for the 5:30 dinner. Plus we thought we could have a drink in the lounge before dinner and relax. The show for our dinner time was at 6:30, and that allowed about 20 minutes after to finish getting ready for dinner or whatever. After dinner we'd head up to the lounge for a drink and to catch Frank's show (the piano player, he's GREAT). Then to bed. In retrospect, we'd pick early next time - hated going to bed on full tummies. Plus I think I'd rather do dinner/show/lounge in that order. If you choose to eat in the River Grill (you can make two dinner reservations there), you can pick whatever time you like. And a hint: If you like lobster, they serve it in the Grill every night. BUT they also served it in the dining room on our next to last dinner. So, if you play it right, you can get 3 lobster dinners :D My review was just posted in case you're interested: http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=d45a3453a18131286c839be59e35025c88154698404d4b9c78988bc3c26e4e3921456fef7c737b59264650d52934854c9995a701b9ebb41a

Ditto on Frank!

• 6 months later...

Hi, All, We are experienced European River and Ocean cruisers, but are planning the Columbia/Snake cruise for 2019. We were looking at ACL but cruise critic postings led us to believe it might not be best for us. Gallo table wine was one turnoff. Can any of you AQS experts give us an idea if the cuisine and wines served are a little upscale from ACL? We don't expect Regent Seven Seas, but we would hope for something close to Viking River. Is that a reasonable expectation? We would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance! Also, we noticed some concerns on posts about thin walls on Empress. Any advice on quietest cabins?

To me ACL's cruises are way over priced. Also ACL has actively bank rolled the fight to keep the National Historic Landmark steamboat DELTA QUEEN from returning to cruising the Mississippi River and its tributaries. In reports filed by ACl's lobbyist Blank-Rome LLP in Washington, DC ACL has spent over $500,000.00 in its efforts to keep the DQ from returning to America's rivers again.

Hi, All, We are experienced European River and Ocean cruisers, but are planning the Columbia/Snake cruise for 2019. We were looking at ACL but cruise critic postings led us to believe it might not be best for us. Gallo table wine was one turnoff. Can any of you AQS experts give us an idea if the cuisine and wines served are a little upscale from ACL? We don't expect Regent Seven Seas, but we would hope for something close to Viking River. Is that a reasonable expectation? We would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance! Also, we noticed some concerns on posts about thin walls on Empress. Any advice on quietest cabins?

We just returned from taking the Empress East to West. We were with a group of four other couples, all wine drinkers. They enjoyed the wines served with dinner as most were locally-sourced. Our server said that if there was a particular wine that we'd had a previous night, let him and if there was still some available, he'd get it for us. We did this several times.

We have just booked a cruise westbound from Clarkston to Vancouver on the Snake and Columbia Rivers. Can hardly wait till next April!

Our TA put us down for Early Dining which, I take it, means 5:30. The other choice, I believe, is the main seating at 7:45. One seems a bit too early, and the other a bit too late, but I guess those are the choices.

What is everybody’s experience with these times? Pros and cons? How does it affect the cocktail hour and the shows?

We just returned from this trip and you'll love it. We had early dining, show after dinner then enjoyed Frank in the Paddlewheel Lounge. Never had any problem making it to dinner after an excursion.

The wines at dinner were locally sourced and quite good, IMO. One evening, the winery owner came onboard and went to every table during dinner to talk about his wines. No Gallo on this cruise!

bin

And yes, the cabin walls were quite thin. We could hear the man in the next cabin when he called his son each day, word for word. We are light sleepers and our earplugs came in handy.

Thank you, K9pal!

The wines at dinner were locally sourced and quite good, IMO. One evening, the winery owner came onboard and went to every table during dinner to talk about his wines. No Gallo on this cruise!

bin

And yes, the cabin walls were quite thin. We could hear the man in the next cabin when he called his son each day, word for word. We are light sleepers and our earplugs came in handy.

We just returned from this trip and you'll love it. We had early dining, show after dinner then enjoyed Frank in the Paddlewheel Lounge. Never had any problem making it to dinner after an excursion.

Actually, djett, we traveled in April! And we did love it. Here is my review: http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=54e617908cc2ec37d7fbf66d45d3c70d09df017721f67c375826aef04cb8b282352b63a93167a180a6aae197873d17c719d2f23c61e776a65553a5bf52483188

So jealous that you had Frank the piano player. We had heard about him, and the substitute we had in the Paddlewheel Lounge was just not all that great.

I’ve been wondering something: Is there still a lot of clapping, squealing and hugging going on with the wait staff in the Main Dining Room? That was definitely the weirdest thing about this trip.

Actually, djett, we traveled in April! And we did love it. Here is my review: http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=54e617908cc2ec37d7fbf66d45d3c70d09df017721f67c375826aef04cb8b282352b63a93167a180a6aae197873d17c719d2f23c61e776a65553a5bf52483188

So jealous that you had Frank the piano player. We had heard about him, and the substitute we had in the Paddlewheel Lounge was just not all that great.

I’ve been wondering something: Is there still a lot of clapping, squealing and hugging going on with the wait staff in the Main Dining Room? That was definitely the weirdest thing about this trip.

There was one waiter that was a hugger.