Prague Tour by Viking

krillsister

Krillsister,

We did the Viking Prague tour during our post-cruise (Romantic Danube) trip last August. The Castle part of the tour included a inside look at St. Vitus, and a general tour of the castle grounds. Some of our group has signed up for the Lobkowicz Palace tour, but this was not part of the regular city tour. As you're probably aware, the Prague Castle area is rather sizable, so if you have the time you should plan to see it on your own as well. I did feel, however, that the Prague city portion of the tour (which included a detailed walk through the Jewish Quarter) was quite extensive. As a bonus, our tour guide was hilarious, and she should have a stand-up act :)

Feel free to ask any other questions! By the way, we loved Prague, and hope to return some day.

Jeff

Krillsister,

We did the Viking Prague tour during our post-cruise (Romantic Danube) trip last August. The Castle part of the tour included a inside look at St. Vitus, and a general tour of the castle grounds. Some of our group has signed up for the Lobkowicz Palace tour, but this was not part of the regular city tour. As you're probably aware, the Prague Castle area is rather sizable, so if you have the time you should plan to see it on your own as well. I did feel, however, that the Prague city portion of the tour (which included a detailed walk through the Jewish Quarter) was quite extensive. As a bonus, our tour guide was hilarious, and she should have a stand-up act :)

Feel free to ask any other questions! By the way, we loved Prague, and hope to return some day.

Jeff

Did the Viking pre-cruise add on in Prague. The above post is spot on.

We loved our Viking city tour and tour guide as our first intro to this great city.

We loved wandering around on our own through Prague day and night. Both the Viking rep at the hotel and the hotel concierge gave excellent dining recommendations.

We will be on a Viking tour in Oct. Can you please tell me what hotel you stayed at and how easy it was to get around?

If it is I that you're asking, we were supposed to be at the Marriott but Marriott overbooked and we were forced to change hotels on airport arrival. At first chagrined, we were moved to the beyond excellent Augustine, a newly converted old monastery. Outstanding.

Someone who has stayed in the standard V hotel needs to answer but Prague is easy to get around.

We will be on a Viking tour in Oct. Can you please tell me what hotel you stayed at and how easy it was to get around?

We stayed at the Prague Sheraton Charles Square in New Town, which was arranged by Viking. It was a very nice property, and our room was really fantastic - not to mention *huge*. Restaurant on property was very good as well. It was in a great location and only a few easy blocks to Wenceslas Square.

I would absolutely stay there again, BTW.

Should also add that Prague is a very walkable city, and it's quite easy to get around on foot.

Jeff

Which Viking Tour are you on in Oct?

I am on the Danube Waltz, 12 Oct Passau to Budapest. I will be in Prague the 3 days before but on my own. I had originally purchased the pre tour extension from Viking but after I did some investigation, I cancelled it.

I have arrange my trip with Hotel, (The Aria) private Tour Guide (half day) and transportation to Passau (car with driver) for about the same amount of money. I was not looking forward to the 3+ hour bus ride from Prague to Passau. Also I am use to traveling on my own so I figured there will be plenty of bus and group tours on the cruise. Viking canceled the pre trip with no penalty or trouble at all.

Thank you all for your hotel info. We are on an Oct Prague to Paris Tour. I was told we would probably be at the Prague Hilton, but sometimes they book at other hotels. Wanted to book an extra precruise night at same hotel, but don't know which hotel yet. I can see from your responses that it can vary.

Thank you all for your hotel info. We are on an Oct Prague to Paris Tour. I was told we would probably be at the Prague Hilton, but sometimes they book at other hotels. Wanted to book an extra precruise night at same hotel, but don't know which hotel yet. I can see from your responses that it can vary.

Since hotels usually don't have cancellation penalties, you could book a room at any that Viking regularly uses. Or just pick the best deal and figure a taxi ride is really cheap if it's not the Viking choice in the end.

Each Viking cruise seems to have a preferred hotel. Mostly the Hilton and Marriot it seems. We added the pre Prague tour and loved it. Best bet is the PragueCard which can be bought in the tourist info center right next to the Astronomical Clock. Great value check it out online. The Viking tour is a nice general tour. People from our cruise did not think the lobkowicz palace optional tour was worth it. Cant wait to go back to Prague next year.

• 1 month later...

My 17yo daughter and I went on the Cities of Light cruise as part of our 6 week long trip of Europe this past summer. Viking booked us pre cruise in the Holiday Inn. The hotel was very nice however, the hotel was outside of Old Town or away from anything we wanted to do. Our first day there, we logged 12 miles of walking. That being said, I felt badly for the majority of the guests are retirees, or older then my daughter and I and another mom-daughter couple we met on the trip. Also, there is another Holiday Inn in Old Town which was a much better location but also more expensive. I found that Vikings included tours were not the best, a lot of "this is......you can come back on your free time and pay to go in." Going on another river cruise over Christmas but going with AMA, who will allow 3 people to stay in their suites, unlike Viking.

Were you told before your cruise in your cruise documents that you were staying at the Holiday Inn? Wondering why you were booked there when usually they use the Prague Hilton?

We expect there will be lots of walking and we are fine with that as we like to walk(we are lucky we can!). How did they decide which group to put you in as I have heard they assign people different groups?

Were you happy with the Viking trip overall? We leave next week.

Took Viking Prague tour in 2014. V had us booked in the Mariott but Mariott was double booked, so we were sent to the beyond excellent St Augustine hotel. Got an apology letter from Mariott management along with wine & fruit basket. I love it when that kind of "problem" occurs. Loved Prague.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Viking is now using the Corinthia Hotel, in Prague district 4, 30 minutes walk south of the old town. Has anyone stayed there?

Viking just booked us in the Art Nouveau Palace hotel in Prague. They said the Corinthia typically over books.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Viking just booked us in the Art Nouveau Palace hotel in Prague. They said the Corinthia typically over books.

We were going to be in the Prague Hilton but our group of high school classmates traveling together on the preextension to Prague in July of next year on the Viking Egil was so large that we need 57 rooms, so they switched us all to Art Nouveau Palace. I like the looks of the hotel quite a bit so I was pleased. Love old world style hotels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just loved the Art Nouveau Palace in Prague. The rooms are very nice and the beds comfortable! A room had a lovely window overlooking and inside courtyard. We were only one block away from Wenceslaus Square; certainly a very easy walk to the old city center and the astronomical clock. They served a lovely breakfast every morning… Included.

• 5 weeks later...

We are planning to book the Cities of Light Viking River Cruise for Sept of 2018. We want to have some extra days in Prague, and would probably do it on our own, but I guess we would not be able to use Viking Air if we did that, right? And in researching air fares, the prices are ridiculous, since we fly into Paris and out of Prague, so that means we need two one-way flights, right? That's over $2000 pp each way -- for coach -- over $8000! That has to be wrong, no?

Another question -- what sights do you recommend seeing that the Viking included Prague tour does not include?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give:)

Hello,

I believe that you're looking at the airfare incorrectly, but in my experience it's almost always cheaper to go with Viking for your flights, especially with the air specials that they always offer. If you want to go it on your own, you still book your air through Viking, but they'll charge you a $100 per person deviation fee.

I'd highly recommend researching Prague to see what might interest you, but there is plenty to see and do. The included Viking tour is very good, but won't show you everything. I suggest at least watching Rick Steves via his YouTube channel so that you can get some of his suggestions, and his travel books are always a good resource. We really enjoyed the Viking-led day trip to the village of Kutna Hora, but I'm sure there are other tour operators that have this as an option.

You're going to love Prague! We had 3 or so days, but I'm ready to go back.

Enjoy!

Jeff

We are planning to book the Cities of Light Viking River Cruise for Sept of 2018. We want to have some extra days in Prague, and would probably do it on our own, but I guess we would not be able to use Viking Air if we did that, right? And in researching air fares, the prices are ridiculous, since we fly into Paris and out of Prague, so that means we need two one-way flights, right? That's over $2000 pp each way -- for coach -- over $8000! That has to be wrong, no?

Another question -- what sights do you recommend seeing that the Viking included Prague tour does not include?

Fortunately for you, you are way off on your airfare estimates. You do not buy 2 one way tickets but an open jaw (multicity) ticket.

Do a search here:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

I do not know where you live but I did a search for random dates in late July 2018 from Boston to Prague (via JFK) and from Paris to Boston on Air France and the fare is about $1,100 for round trip. Very similar for most airlines.

Hello,

I believe that you're looking at the airfare incorrectly, but in my experience it's almost always cheaper to go with Viking for your flights, especially with the air specials that they always offer. If you want to go it on your own, you still book your air through Viking, but they'll charge you a $100 per person deviation fee.

I'd highly recommend researching Prague to see what might interest you, but there is plenty to see and do. The included Viking tour is very good, but won't show you everything. I suggest at least watching Rick Steves via his YouTube channel so that you can get some of his suggestions, and his travel books are always a good resource. We really enjoyed the Viking-led day trip to the village of Kutna Hora, but I'm sure there are other tour operators that have this as an option.

You're going to love Prague! We had 3 or so days, but I'm ready to go back.

Enjoy!

Jeff

I agree with JRKSTL. Prague is a very interesting city! Viking just scraped the cream on top for me! We took a tour to Terezín, not with Viking, but the optional Viking one is good as well. Prague is a walking city. There is a very cool tower on Petrin Hill... ( by the time we got there, we were too tired to climb it, having taken the included tour just previously) but we did take the funicular up the hill! We walked to the castle from there. We missed the monastery, several recommendations to go there, but legs couldn't do it. The first day we put in 27,000 steps! (ALL uphill!) We stayed at the Palace Art Nouveau very near Old Town Square, just a block from Wenceslas Square. Lovely hotel! We wandered around and found very little, out of the way places to eat and found everyone to be helpful. We went to a concert hawked on church steps and were enthralled with an hour long "tourist concert" (nothing too heavy) in a church where Mozart had performed. We are definitely going back!!!

Prague is a small city and you can walk across the Historic Centre in less than an hour. Prague Castle (Golden Lane inside the Castle grounds with the tiny houses where Kafka lived) and Charles Bridge are virtually connected (200 metres or so), St Vitus Church and Tower (superb view over the city) Wencelas Square where the 2 Jans undertook self-immolation in protest at the Soviet Invasion (small memorial stone set in a small 'flower bed' area - easy to miss (it's quite touching that the stone was kept swept clean even during the Winter snows). Astronomical Clock in the Old Town Square for the Hourly striking and the procession of the figures (but secure bags, wallets and cameras - pickpockets do operate whilst everyone is watching the clock!) If you have, say,3 hours, you could see these sights by foot - but you would be 'at the gallop' - double the time would still leave you wanting more - there's so much to see and marvel at. We visited Prague 5 times in less than 3 years before we felt that we had seen most of it (last time 2006!) and had a wonderful trip in Autumn, Deep Winter, Spring & Summer. So many happy memories! Grab a Tourist Map and start walking/viewing and photography (have the biggest memory card you can find - I took over 600 (film) pictures in 3 days on my first visit!

You can and should use Viking Air. For a modest fee of $100 they will let come early or leave late. We do this. You just pay on your for a cab from Prague to the airport. Just ask your Viking. He can add that to your invoice.