Free (or almost free) things to do in Belize, cozumel, MB Roatan?

opensaysme

I've seen a thread asking about excursions in these ports (Cozumel, Belize, MB Roatan < in that order) which had great advice but I couldn't find details on things to do for little to nothing.

On my upcoming cruise in May 2019 on the Glory leaving NOLA I am traveling with a rather large group of middle aged adults and young children. We had a thought to try and do the most basic and inexpensive things that would appease everyone on port days. We are trying to get a feel of these destinations their beaches, shopping and modes of travel.

Are there free or inexpensive beaches good for snorkeling for the children?

We would appreciate anyone who is willing to paint a picture so that we could develop our own itineraries.

:cool::halo:

In MB, the Carnival beach area right near the port is free. The floats and tubes cost money though. I wouldn’t say that snorkeling is very good there though.

In Cozumel, Paradise Beach is pretty affordable but as with any place, the food and drinks can make for a costly day. I will say though, that the food and drinks at PB are not as high priced as I’ve seen in other areas. My husband and I can easily share the big nacho plate with our two girls when we visit there.

We always stay on the ship for Belize so that is very affordable!:cool:

In Cozumel, we like MoneyBar. It is a short cab ride, and has a small sand beach on the coral cliff (picture 5-10' drop to water. There is shade for those who need it. There is a restaurant there, with clean bathrooms and you can also get a massage much cheaper than on the ship. There is a shack to rent snorkel gear or you can bring your own. There is no charge for the loungers or tables, but you would be expected to order drinks and food - which for a day for a family of 4 runs us under $100. Because of the cliff, this is not a beach you can walk on, though if you bring shoes you can walk to the right and explore the coastline and the tidepools in the coral. The snorkeling (fish more so than coral) is really very good; you walk down steps carved into the rock straight into the water. It's about as cheap IMHO as you can do going ashore.

Belize is really impossible to do without an excursion. The port itself is very small but the shops are cute. There isn't a beach without booking a tour. It can be a little rough outside the port gates so it is not a place we go it on our own. One of the best excursions we have ever done with our kids was Altun Ha and River Wallace - I can't highly recommend enough spending money here to take this trip.

Mahogany Bay is a nice port, but not a good snorkeling spot though you can spend the day on the Carnival Beach, taking the sky ride and shopping in the Carnival sponsored shops. That is not really our thing, though and rather than spending money on trinkets, I would opt to put my money to exploring. I would contact Island Marketing or Victor Booden and see what rate they would charge you per person to take and island tour as this island is gorgeous and they can craft it to your needs. The rate goes down the more people you have. West Bay beach is lovely - is is a true beach but also has good snorkeling from shore. For the kids, you cannot beat going to see the sloths, monkeys, or the iguana sanctuary and that can be worked in on an island tour pretty easily. This place is worth seeing if you can make it work in your budget.

There are a couple of small museums in Belize City. Traveler's rum is worth the tour. The cathedral in Belize City while not really huge is definitely historic. There is absolutely no reason why a tourist can't move around Belize City during the daytime.

the baboon Sanctuary is about a half hour from Belize City so would require paying for transportation. The Belize zoo is about a half hour from Belize City.

Edited by geeko1

Do an excursion in Belize. It is a beautiful country, like a National Geographic magazine... jungles and waterfalls and caves and tiny islands.

If you are looking for cheap, go ahead and book an excursion thru the ship going to the zoo or river cruise or beach. Some of those are only a few hours, so cheapest. Personally, I think Belize is the country to splurge on an all day excursion to Mayan ruins that include lunch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen a thread asking about excursions in these ports (Cozumel, Belize, MB Roatan < in that order) which had great advice but I couldn't find details on things to do for little to nothing.

On my upcoming cruise in May 2019 on the Glory leaving NOLA I am traveling with a rather large group of middle aged adults and young children. We had a thought to try and do the most basic and inexpensive things that would appease everyone on port days. We are trying to get a feel of these destinations their beaches, shopping and modes of travel.

We would appreciate anyone who is willing to paint a picture so that we could develop our own itineraries.

You present a challenge! You have two diverse age groups with widely different interests! We have been to all ports 10+ times and the word inexpensive is my focus.

Cozumel- You will be docked at a pier where there are many shops on the pier-no need to shop elsewhere and browsing is fun. Taxis are right outside.Rates are posted.They are also on the Internet if you search Cozumel taxi fares as fares are fixed.

Try Cozumel Insider for coupons and ideas for activities. I would get groups to split vans and take tours of the island. You can do this very well with low fares if you plan in advance. Did you ask this group of interests in port? Ruins, island tour, swimming etc? Coz beaches are many depending on how far you want to taxi. Most charge but others might have ideas on snorkeling for free?

Belize- As you know you will tender to this port. The ride is about 20 minutes given sea conditions. The port area is gate enclosed. If you venture outside without a tour you will be facing many looking to tempt you to give money etc.

Inside the gates, many vendors want your business and will offer reasonable tours. Just be cautious as the US Coast Guard is not there. There are a series of shops with all kinds of tourist items-most not worth the purchase.

There is a taxi to Caye Calker ( island with restaurant and beach) you may want to look into. No swimming at this port and you have to get away to see the beauty of the many reefs and water surrounding the area. There is little I can think of that has activities for "little to nothing". Others may be more creative.

Roatan- You will dock in the Carnival pier in Mahogany Bay. I have not been there. We dock in Coxen Hole on NCL and RCC.

Roatan has incredible beaches and many interesting areas to see. I hope you are able to find a low cost tour of the area. You might try one of the frequently mentioned vendors and ask if they could offer a group discount for a tour, swimming, snorkeling etc. They may go for it!

Hope you enjoy your cruise and I wish you luck meeting the needs of your group. I have planned many tours for 30 sailings but not needing little to nothing in terms of price.

• Thanks 1

In Cozumel, we like MoneyBar. It is a short cab ride, and has a small sand beach on the coral cliff (picture 5-10' drop to water. There is shade for those who need it. There is a restaurant there, with clean bathrooms and you can also get a massage much cheaper than on the ship. There is a shack to rent snorkel gear or you can bring your own. There is no charge for the loungers or tables, but you would be expected to order drinks and food - which for a day for a family of 4 runs us under $100. Because of the cliff, this is not a beach you can walk on, though if you bring shoes you can walk to the right and explore the coastline and the tidepools in the coral. The snorkeling (fish more so than coral) is really very good; you walk down steps carved into the rock straight into the water. It's about as cheap IMHO as you can do going ashore.

Here is their menu:

https://www.debsdays.com/2017/12/money-bar-cozumel.html

Thank you all so much for providing us with such great information! We were thinking of planning at least one excursion and it's perfect to know that it sounds like Belize will be the perfect port for an excursion!

There is plenty of swimming in Belize you are incorrect

Would you care to share some of the best swimming spots in Belize?

Thank you all so much for providing us with such great information! We were thinking of planning at least one excursion and it's perfect to know that it sounds like Belize will be the perfect port for an excursion!

Would you care to share some of the best swimming spots in Belize?

You can fly out the ambergris Caye, rent a golf cart and go up to secret Beach. You can fly out to ambergris Caye, rent a kayak and use the tie offs out on the reef and snorkel the Reef. there is a Heritage and Cultural Center just outside of Belize City called Old Belize that has a beach. Caye Caulker has a beach for swimming. Placencia has a great Beach for swimming.

You can fly out the ambergris Caye, rent a golf cart and go up to secret Beach. You can fly out to ambergris Caye, rent a kayak and use the tie offs out on the reef and snorkel the Reef. there is a Heritage and Cultural Center just outside of Belize City called Old Belize that has a beach. Caye Caulker has a beach for swimming. Placencia has a great Beach for swimming.

I believe people were inquiring about swimming close to Belize port. If you fly somewhere I would not calling it as being close to the port.

To Caye Caulker you can either take a water taxi (check schedule before you go) or go on a snorkelling tour. We tried to sign up with Coral Breeze but they returned our deposit, stating they do not cater to cruisers from MSC.

So if someone can give us any advice what do to in Belize or how to get to Caye Caulker without missing the ship we´d love to hear about it.

I believe people were inquiring about swimming close to Belize port. If you fly somewhere I would not calling it as being close to the port.

To Caye Caulker you can either take a water taxi (check schedule before you go) or go on a snorkelling tour. We tried to sign up with Coral Breeze but they returned our deposit, stating they do not cater to cruisers from MSC.

So if someone can give us any advice what do to in Belize or how to get to Caye Caulker without missing the ship we´d love to hear about it.

Read my post again until you understand it.

My favorite Belize excursion option, is the jungle cave tubing with cavetubing.bz . They will pick you up from the port, take you on a short hike through the rainforest to the river, and then you will float down the river through a cave system. Afterwards, they take you to their private restaurant for a Belizean lunch (usually a stewed chicken with red beans and rice) including rum punch for the adults. Right now, their website has a cruise ship special for $35, but I'm not sure if that is a seasonal special and if it will be available during your cruise. I have been on this excursion twice and would not hesitate to go again.

For Cozumel, if you have animal lovers among your group, the Cozumel Humane Society welcomes volunteers to help walk or socialize with the animals. The location is walkable from the Puerta Maya and International cruise terminals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, is totally free (including beach chairs) ... you only pay for any extras like food, floats, etc. It's a very short walk so you don't need the "flying chairs" usless you wish.

Nice beach day as long as you're OK without snorkeling. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that menu! :)

Thank you for the water taxi information!

My favorite Belize excursion option, is the jungle cave tubing with cavetubing.bz . They will pick you up from the port, take you on a short hike through the rainforest to the river, and then you will float down the river through a cave system. Afterwards, they take you to their private restaurant for a Belizean lunch (usually a stewed chicken with red beans and rice) including rum punch for the adults. Right now, their website has a cruise ship special for $35, but I'm not sure if that is a seasonal special and if it will be available during your cruise. I have been on this excursion twice and would not hesitate to go again.

For Cozumel, if you have animal lovers among your group, the Cozumel Humane Society welcomes volunteers to help walk or socialize with the animals. The location is walkable from the Puerta Maya and International cruise terminals.

Awesome tips! Cave tubing sounds great! And that's a fabulous price! I will be looking into that! Volunteering at the animal shelter in Cozumel is an epic tip! Freakin' LOVE that idea!! That would be an ultimate cruise story to tell in my opinion! Thank you! :D

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, is totally free (including beach chairs) ... you only pay for any extras like food, floats, etc. It's a very short walk so you don't need the "flying chairs" usless you wish.

Nice beach day as long as you're OK without snorkeling. :)

This is awesome to know! And we (at least some of us) will gladly pass on the "flying chairs"! :cool:

• Like 1

I have an understanding that Belize City doesn't have any beaches, however, neighboring islands have great beaches ideal for a port day? Caye Caulker sounds like a good one.

I have an understanding that Belize City doesn't have any beaches, however, neighboring islands have great beaches ideal for a port day? Caye Caulker sounds like a good one.

Your understanding is incorrect about beaches near Belize City. I'll also point out that ambergris caye has much more in the way of food drink and things to do and has the secret Beach but then again I've already pointed that out haven't I.

Your understanding is incorrect about beaches near Belize City. I'll also point out that ambergris caye has much more in the way of food drink and things to do and has the secret Beach but then again I've already pointed that out haven't I.

Well I think I already pointed out that our group isn’t interested in paying a lot of money on shore excursions so that would exclude taking a flight, of all things, to Ambergris Caye. Also, although I attempted to overlook it, I feel compelled to address that your comments are coming off condescending. We know we will be doing an excursion in this port but flying anywhere isn’t an option. Even if we were splurging that wouldn’t interest us as something to do on a port day. I do thank you for your information regarding beach options.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well I think I already pointed out that our group isn’t interested in paying a lot of money on shore excursions so that would exclude taking a flight, of all things, to Ambergris Caye. Also, although I attempted to overlook it, I feel compelled to address that your comments are coming off condescending. We know we will be doing an excursion in this port but flying anywhere isn’t an option. Even if we were splurging that wouldn’t interest us as something to do on a port day. I do thank you for your information regarding beach options.

you needing to see simple declarative sentences as condescending is something you're going to have to deal with. Perhaps you'll divert your focus from going out to the cayes to the old Heritage Center which is just minutes outside of Belize City. The trick here is to focus on the information that actually works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, I would take my daughter on cruises every couple of years. I was a single mom, so it took all I had to get us on the ship and pay the DSC. one of the best things we did was go into a convenience store, Mega (Cozumel), or market and buy small snacks and candy. We had never seen many of the items offered and did not speak Spanish, so we just picked up whatever looked interesting. We then had a “tasting” where we took pictures of each other as we took the first bite. I rarely spent more than $10 in a port and we had so much fun. DD was able to buy whatever she wanted and we had a little culinary adventure. The pictures are now in a scrapbook and it made for some of our best vacation memories!

• Like 8

Years ago, I would take my daughter on cruises every couple of years. I was a single mom, so it took all I had to get us on the ship and pay the DSC. one of the best things we did was go into a convenience store, Mega (Cozumel), or market and buy small snacks and candy. We had never seen many of the items offered and did not speak Spanish, so we just picked up whatever looked interesting. We then had a “tasting” where we took pictures of each other as we took the first bite. I rarely spent more than $10 in a port and we had so much fun. DD was able to buy whatever she wanted and we had a little culinary adventure. The pictures are now in a scrapbook and it made for some of our best vacation memories!

This is sooo precious! Now this is my kind of fun! And just the sort of creative thing I like to see/hear about! Thank you for added that! That made my night! :halo:<3<3

• Like 1