Is it easy to drive around in Bonaire? (not in a golf cart) ...or private tour?

The Fun Researcher

I have a couple of sport utilities vehicles reserved at Hertz for our upcoming trip in March and just want some input to know if it's the right decision. Our plan is to drive around the island to a few snorkle spots and beaches,(we love snorkeling) and see some of the other local scenery like the salt pans, flamingos, past the old slave huts, etc.. but I want to hear from those who've driven themselves. We'll be driving regular vehicles, not golf carts. I like to think I'm a good driver but I would like to hear other folks' experiences. Much appreciated.

Our other option is to do a private tour. It helps with getting some of the history of the island and we love those too. Any solid recommendations for private tours if we decide to go that route?

We are already doing a private tour the next day at Curacao with "Around Curacao Tours" . Really looking forward to that one too.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We've done it twice. I can tell you that the island is fairly easy to navigate, the roads are good, and in most places flat. Once out of the city, there's not much in the way of traffic either.

One thing I would point out, as we have had this happen, check to see what time the rental car office opens. We rushed over to pick up our car by 8:00am, only to find out that the rental car company didn't open until 9:00am, and the employee got there around 9:30am to open up. It may be better to e-mail the local office than use the open hours that Hertz will have on their website.

We pretty much always rent a car in Curacao. There's a rent a car company at the Mega Pier. We've never done an organized tour there. We just organize our own.

One more suggestion I would make is to carefully check your tires on the rental car, and to make sure you have a spare in the trunk. Basic, I know, but one rental car did get a flat (thorn in the tire), and another had the steel belt showing through the side wall when we picked it up. They had to bring a tire from the airport, so we had a bit of a wait. Both in Curacao.

Enjoy Bonaire!

AC