Flight Schedule Change - now departing SJU at 11:06am. Is this doable or risky?

BobNoxious

If there is a later option, take it. But if no other option, would probably be doable. Ship arrives at 6 but if debarkation begins before 7 I would be very surprised. That gives you about 3 hours to disembark, clear customs and get over in time for checkin. Not my idea of fun, but grab a porter to speed through immigration and its feasible.

We were far from being off the ship first and still made it to the airport with time to spare for our Noon flight so I think you will be fine.

You know that you have to do the agriculture screening so ask your taxi driver to take you to the one closest to your airlines checkin area.

We have TSA pre-check and it was open for us and that helped.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to follow up my question with my experience with disembarking Freedom of the Seas on Sunday in San Juan.   We chose early departure and went to the deck 4 dining room around 6:15am-6:30am.   At 7:00am we were allowed to begin leaving the ship.  We carried our own luggage to an empty line at customs, then out to a cab by 7:15am.  From there, we were driven to the airport, went through an empty line at agriculture in terminal 4, checked 2 bags on jetblue (empty line), went through TSA security (empty) and were at our gate by 7:45am (for an 11:06am departure).  Spent the morning relaxing eating breakfast and drinking coffee at an airport cafe near our gate.   Yay for self-disembarking!!!!

Edited by BobNoxious
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 12:02 PM, BobNoxious said:

Just wanted to follow up my question with my experience with disembarking Freedom of the Seas on Sunday in San Juan.   We chose early departure and went to the deck 4 dining room around 6:15am-6:30am.   At 7:00am we were allowed to begin leaving the ship.  We carried our own luggage to an empty line at customs, then out to a cab by 7:15am.  From there, we were driven to the airport, went through an empty line at agriculture in terminal 4, checked 2 bags on jetblue (empty line), went through TSA security (empty) and were at our gate by 7:45am (for an 11:06am departure).  Spent the morning relaxing eating breakfast and drinking coffee at an airport cafe near our gate.   Yay for self-disembarking!!!!

So glad everything worked out for you with your trip home! How was the rest of the cruise?  Any hints and tips for Freedom newbies?  Do you plan to do a full review?

On 11/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, EeyoreRN said:

So glad everything worked out for you with your trip home! How was the rest of the cruise?  Any hints and tips for Freedom newbies?  Do you plan to do a full review?

I am not doing a review (sorry).   But if your itinerary is in Barbados, then definitely be one of the first off the ship and head to "The Boatyard" via taxi.  For $25/pp you get 2 chairs, umbrella, welcome drink, and a short snorkel trip to the shipwreck and the sea turtles.   After the trip returned, i walked down the beach with my own equipment, swam out to the turtle area, and snorkeled for another 2 hours as the different tour groups came in.  Saw 8 turtles!     Freedom had the best entertainment I have ever seen on any Royal ship.  Every show was good - and the guitar singer in the pub was excellent!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find flights going back to So Calif that don't start until midnight or 5 to 7 AM There is only 1 on JB that leaves at 12:15 PM, getting me home around 10 PM. If I hang around until midnight through Chi, I can be home at 11 AM the morning after our cruise.. Getting to SJ isn't a problem it is finding a decent departure time back to Calif. 

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

If you're flying into SAN, there's a great flight that leaves SJU at 10am, stops in DFW and goes on to SAN, arriving at a decent time.  

My flights bought through United & returning SJ, Newark, Den, Palm Springs, but found, leaving at 10 AM left me with only a 40 min connection in EWR, but she put me on a later flight out of EWR