Alaska

CAN1960

Cakelover:

I just checked the Princess map and up to Glacier Bay you are in the Inside Passage including the strait between Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia, so with the exceptions of a few places where the ship swings west of a point or island with nothing out there but the ocean, the view is just as interesting from the port side as the starboard. After Glacier Bay you cross the Gulf of Alaska and the starboard side is pretty far from any land for most of it, too. And marine mammals might be seen on either side!

Your ship visits College Fjord and your captain with rotate the ship to make sure everyone gets a good view (same as in Glacier Bay). You dock in Whittier and go over land to Anchorage.

Take the best, most central and lower stateroom available and do not worry about being on the port side! Lots to see! My DH did get seasick crossing the Gulf of Alaska (never in the inside passage); the ship will have meclazine available. The possible sightings of animals will be better lower, too.

• 1 month later...

Just back from Seward to Vancouver on RC Radiance of the Seas. So glad we had a balcony (deck 10, port side) despite several cold/cool and damp days. Mornings in port (in our PJs) were magical...eagle watching in Juneau and Ketchikan, magical views after dinner (10-11 p.m. in our PJs) of snow capped mountains, a glass of wine at sail away - need I say more! We were up on deck 12 for Hubbard Glacier viewing...cold, windy, FABULOUS! But the time in our cabin with the drapes wide open just watching the gorgeous views was well worth the difference in cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from Seward to Vancouver on RC Radiance of the Seas. So glad we had a balcony (deck 10, port side) despite several cold/cool and damp days. Mornings in port (in our PJs) were magical...eagle watching in Juneau and Ketchikan, magical views after dinner (10-11 p.m. in our PJs) of snow capped mountains, a glass of wine at sail away - need I say more! We were up on deck 12 for Hubbard Glacier viewing...cold, windy, FABULOUS! But the time in our cabin with the drapes wide open just watching the gorgeous views was well worth the difference in cost.

47f5fa0cf8a8d54fa1135bfd4f53e81f.jpg

Hubbard Glacier from our balcony on the Radiance July 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We did a repo Hawaii to Vancouver on Solstice with a balcony. Unfortunately, moderate 13-15 feet waves, rain, wind and cold put a damper on our balcony enjoyment... So we had only booked an ocean view room on Infinity, Hubbard Glacier, Vancouver to Vancouver June 2018, and were fortunate to upgrade to a balcony Aqua class. ... Absolutely loved the experience!!! The inside passage provided for calm seas, beautiful views, mountains, wild life etc. Even if the captain had granted helipad access for the viewing of Hubbard Glacier (tried it, liked it but it was pretty crowded) so we loved going back to our quiet balcony, front row, to enjoy the view. So, we used the balcony a few times a day and really enjoyed the experience!

Weather is unpredictable, thought Hawaii would be great fora balcony, a and finally ended up enjoying it more in Alaska.

If the deal is good and can afford it, in my opinion, you won’t regret a balcony in Ak.

Have a nice cruise!

• 5 weeks later...

My husband and I have been on 5 Alaskan cruises and we have never had a balcony. We have seen amazing 360 degree views from the top deck of the ship. I feel like we would miss a lot by staying on one side of the ship. Price is a consideration for us, and we can take more cruises by keeping the price low. We had a balcony in Hawaii, and that was nice, but certainly not necessary for us.

We need help picking a balcony cabin for the Coral Princess. Can anyone provide me with info on Cabin C505, C509, C527, C531, B347 and/or B351. I appreciate your help!!!

Schti, if you are still reading this thread - start a new thread in this sub-forum. Title it "cabin choice on Coral Princess". Much more likely to get help that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's probably worth it for most people. It's only worth it to me if we can get a covered balcony. With Alaska, you never know when it's going to be cold and rainy, making an uncovered balcony not as attractive.

We cruise to Alaska 4 years ago, got upgraded to a balcony and absolutely loved it, so much so we just booked balcony for July 2019 return cruise to Alaska.

Nothing beats early morning views as you enjoys breakfast in your pjs from your balcony. We used ours numerous times a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I followed the advice of everyone to get a balcony because Alaska's the one place where it's supposed to be worth it. It was nice to have and I went out on it a bit, but when it came to watching the glaciers calve and the really juicy stuff, we were up top with everyone else--partly to hear the announcer describing it and partly because you have easy access to both sides of the ship for views. Your balcony view will be very limited--only one side of the ship and only once it's visible from the side (or aft, or wherever you are). It was sometimes a bit too cold to sit on, so... I'm kind of inclined to say it wasn't totally worth it, although I don't regret it, either.