5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

Your dad philosophy is awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the kind words ,and yes, I STILL do that today..my wife & I may not go out to dinner as much as others do, but our vacations & cruises we take are so worth it! Next up- RCI Harmony Of The Seas in November ( West Caribb), RCI Anthem Of The Seas 9 night Canada/ New England Sept 2019, and the biggie...for our 25th wedding anniversary: Hawaii on NCL's Pride Of America, May 2020...I am semi retired now, wife works full time, but these trips cost $$.. rather splurge on a nice balcony cabin, great food, shows, beaches, sunsets on the balcony sipping a Mai Tai more than dinner at the local joint Sat night...so we go out once in a while, where 10 years ago, it was 3 out of 4 Sat nights in a month..Dad taught me well!!:cool:

Big Al

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I definitely prefer balconies. Our first cruise was on the MS Southward-I think that was it with 2 portholes. I had to look out. 2nd was on the Carnival Jubilee with square windows next two cruises were also with windows then balconies ever since. There is nothing like looking down at the water and seeing the Bio-luminescent glow as the ship churns the water, Also, nothing more relaxing to me then sitting out on the balcony with a beer watching cloud to cloud or cloud to water lightening way off in the distance.

Me too!! What is a hump cabin??

Ref balconies, we plan to book interior after Sept, only due to financial constraints. If i don't make the downgrade, my partner will hold us to fewer cruises. He's the financial planner.

I chimed in a while back about my love of balconies. My upcoming cruise in September is a 4 day so I opted for an oceanview instead. However, in 2019 I have my first aft wrap-around leaving out of New Orleans and am sooo looking forward to that to be sure.

I'm a novice here, can you tell me what a hump cabin is please?

A hump cabin is the cabin that sticks out a bit on the ship..if you look at a picture of say, the Oasis, or RCI Freedom Of The Seas, you will see cabins that "stick out" a bit more..those are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..they are great because 1) they have unobstructed views on both sides, and 2) tend to be slightly bigger in SF...I try & get them all the time...:halo:

Big Al

I chimed in a while back about my love of balconies. My upcoming cruise in September is a 4 day so I opted for an oceanview instead. However, in 2019 I have my first aft wrap-around leaving out of New Orleans and am sooo looking forward to that to be sure.

Wrap arounds are super! :cool:

I have to say I definitely prefer balconies. Our first cruise was on the MS Southward-I think that was it with 2 portholes. I had to look out. 2nd was on the Carnival Jubilee with square windows next two cruises were also with windows then balconies ever since. There is nothing like looking down at the water and seeing the Bio-luminescent glow as the ship churns the water, Also, nothing more relaxing to me then sitting out on the balcony with a beer watching cloud to cloud or cloud to water lightening way off in the distance.

Agree 100%..if we can't afford a balcony we don't cruise till we can...:halo:

Are you an Ncl aft pent house?

Our very first cruise is coming up in 4 weeks. Just curious about the references to a "hump cabin." What is that?

A hump cabin is the cabin that sticks out a bit on the ship..if you look at a picture of say, the Oasis, or RCI Freedom Of The Seas, you will see cabins that "stick out" a bit more..those are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..they are great because 1) they have unobstructed views on both sides, and 2) tend to be slightly bigger in SF...I try & get them all the time...

Big Al

Our very first cruise is coming up in 4 weeks. Just curious about the references to a "hump cabin." What is that?
We had a "hump" balcony on one of our cruises. I'll insert a link below that will take you to my wife's slideshow of that cabin with the hump balcony.

There are several pictures of the balcony including the end of the slideshow which shows a couple of pictures she took from the tender looking up at the balcony. It gives you a better view of the bump out shape.

Happy Travels wherever you go. Cruising is a fantastic way to travel and see the world.

http://nancysoasis.com/2012OS/2012OS.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what a submariner chooses for accommodations when booking a cruise? My guess is it wouldn't be an inside cabin? Sixteen pages of posts and no one has mentioned cruising on a sub. If anyone out there has worn the Dolphins - thanks for your service.

• 1 month later...

Newbie question -- what is a "hump cabin?"

We are embarking on our 5th cruise come January and I didn't even think about any cabin that didn't have balcony attached to it when booking. Even sweeter was the fact that without knowing at the time, I was setting us up in a "hump" cabin as well to which I'm very much looking forward too.

Newbie question -- what is a "hump cabin?"

We are embarking on our 5th cruise come January and I didn't even think about any cabin that didn't have balcony attached to it when booking. Even sweeter was the fact that without knowing at the time, I was setting us up in a "hump" cabin as well to which I'm very much looking forward too.

A "hump" cabin is a cabin that sticks out a bit more than the others..some ships don't have straight lines from front to back and you can see parts of the cabins "sticking out"..those are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..better views and sometimes slightly bigger balconies..you will love it!! :D

Big Al

I am a little weird but I like obstructed balconies a lot.

I try to pick one that is either between lifeboats or the obstruction is caused by ship’s superstructure. Seeing lifeboats and superstructure lets me know I am on a ship.

I live on a high rise condo by the ocean and I already have ocean view and city view from home everyday. I want to feel I am on a ship when I am cruising. :D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ok I realize this is an older thread but I read all the pages. 

First cruise was last October, big group of us. Valor out of Galveston-hubs said to get the balcony -all of us in our group were same deck, and had friends next door in a balcony-steward opened the divider so we had a long balcony! 

Completely agree with the reasons for a balcony-I have way too many pictures of sunsets, sunrises, waves, etc from that balcony. Came home and booked our next cruise-family cruise to Cuba. Since it was 4 of us this time instead of just hubs and I you'd better believe I did a balcony. Actually kicking myself that I didn't do an across the hall inside for the kids though. 

Some friends had an inside cabin, which was fine with them, but I felt claustrophobic after awhile just visiting with them, but the kids would have been fine (teens who will sleep 1/2 the day anyway).

Probably got spoiled with first ever cruise was with a balcony...

On our last two cruises we've had balconies. Looking over the balcony on our most recent cruise (Agean—Med on HA), my wife and I saw sea turtles from our balcony...as well as a lot of birds. Our next cruise, we're taking a Viking River cruise on the Danube and elected to get a room without a balcony for two reasons: 1) the balconies are minuscule and 2) the top deck has great views on both sides of the river. Our booked room has a big plate glass window; so we won't miss anything. A few years ago in a lower deck cabin with an unobstructed window (but no balcony ) from Montreal to Boston, the seabirds, including puffins, liked to fly at our level and we got to see them up close, and we'd go up to the very top deck in the lounge to see everything we wanted. For ocean cruises, I prefer balconies but can do fine without them. My wife, on the other hand, loves them; so we usually get a balcony.

First cruise was a room with a portal almost at water level, but it was Carnival and Mexico on our honeymoon, so it was a party trip. 2nd cruise was a Jr. Suite, third was Balcony and since then always at least a balcony. I could not go back to a portal or worse an inside room.  Upcoming is a suite on 5/11, but it’s a treat, we have not been on holiday in a few years and my wife just lost her mom.  So wanted her to be away on Mother’s Day.   But like 99% said above, at minimum a balcony!