Do you pick an inside cabin for: price, fairy upgrade, or u like them?

kelbell

Hello, we will be in are first ever inside cabin, not till 1/20. Carnival Paradise. We have always had a balcony, not sure if I will last till 2020 thinking about this. Im contemplating changing to a balcony, any thoughts? I did the inside because of price and we are cruising twice before that cruise. We are on deck 7 if that makes any difference. So why do you book an inside? 🤔

I book an inside for price. Every cabin choice for me is driven by price. However sometimes I book for space. I discovered some large insides on some ships that I wouldn't trade for an OV or balcony, just because we like the space. EM

• Like 2

For me it depends on who I am cruising with. If it's just me and my husband we always choose a balcony. We enjoy spending time on the balcony reading or just taking in the view. We are currently planning a cruise with our 3 young children and are looking at a Jr suite or suite. With 5 in a cabin, space becomes the main concern.

We were in an ocean view cabin once because we got a good deal on a cruise with a huge group of friends.

We've been in an inside cabin twice on cruises with family. Again, price factors in because these cruises occurred during Christmas and New Year's but we find when we cruise with family we spend very little time in the cabin, except to sleep.

I feel like you can adapt to the inside cabin if you won't be spending much time in the cabin. Having sailed in an ocean view and inside, I wouldn't choose an Oceanview over the inside UNLESS they were the same price. In other words, for us, if there is no balcony, we might as well be in an inside as the balcony adds so much to our cruising experience. Being able to take in the water views and just sit out there is a huge draw for us when it comes to cruise vacations.

I am also an introvert though. If you're an extrovert and your cruises consist of being poolside or hanging out at the bars and making friends and participating in all the fun activities then an inside would be great! I will do a little bit of that stuff but for me sea days on the balcony with a book is what it's all about.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
So why do you book an inside? 🤔

I've been in insides with a third person TWICE! First time I had nothing to do with the choice; second time - same ship (HAL Statendam RIP) - so I knew how roomy those particular insides were, and of course price was a main factor.

We put my DB&SIL in an inside under a quiet area on a June Alaska cruise, over an OV with obstructed view under the kitchen. I think they were surprised to enjoy the dark and quiet! (it also happened to be slightly MORE expensive than the FO/OV, FWIW)

I'm now contemplating booking two connecting Super Ks for 5 people (a std & a triple) as a way to get us back to Alaska for a self-drive week! So, price for this one. But I've always been intrigued by those big, low square cabins.

• Like 1

My DH had me switch the exactly mid-ship verandah I had reserved for a transatlantic next April, for one of the big square inside cabins on a low deck, a bit fore of mid. The difference in price pays for the beverage package on a different cruise planned for this December. (Don't need to pay extra for drinks in April bc booking with HAL's Explore4.)

The choice I mentioned three posts up, was not really between balcony and inside, but between partially obstructed oceanview and (large) inside. dr'spin ruled out the balcony bc "the view on a transatlantic is always the same", and *I* chose the inside over the obstructed oceanview. The obstruction was the winches that control the tenders, with a tender/lifeboat to each side! I decided it was depressing to look out at that, and I was concerned over noise from the tenders swinging in any high seas. The inside room could be quite relaxing, even hygge (we sail to Copenhagen!).

I don't book them anymore because they made my DH claustrophobic. I booked them because they were better bang for the buck. We only went there to sleep and shower. I actually liked them a lot and would still be booking them except for DH.

• Like 2

I don't book them anymore because they made my DH claustrophobic. I booked them because they were better bang for the buck. We only went there to sleep and shower. I actually liked them a lot and would still be booking them except for DH.

My first three cruises were a tiny porthole, and two insides (actually the same inside, same ship, two cruises). Then two balconies we barely

used (one too hot, one too chilly). Then a guarantee of an inside, that COULD have been for a small cabin on an upper deck rather than the big Super K or Super J I would have been happy with, so we upgraded to an OV and R seemed so much happier with the window, I said never again on the inside. But still always curious about the Super K/J's so when he said no balcony on upcoming TA, I said, well then we'll try the Large J Inside! Will find out once and for all if his personality changes inside!

I am really interested in this thread because I have very little understanding of the differences in cabins. My only experience so far was an ocean view cabin on a Carnival cruise we were on deck 2 and the view made me feel like I was in the basement also the engine noise was sometimes very loud. I will be in an inside room in my upcoming cruise next week the reason is I waited too long to decide to go with our group and the only person who needed a roommate was a woman with vertigo, she says seeing the ocean makes her dizzy. I am just hoping it doesn't rain the whole trip so I can be on deck as much as possible.

I am really interested in this thread because I have very little understanding of the differences in cabins. ...I am just hoping it doesn't rain the whole trip so I can be on deck as much as possible.

Even if it rains, it doesn't mean you are stuck in your cabin, there are lots of places to experience light and views, even if rainy. I went to both Hawaii and Alaska in an inside and with a little prowling, found places that suited me to have a coffee, read book or Kindle, and access the outdoors when it didn't rain!

For my first couple of cruises, I had an inside because someone else was paying. I've had a balcony once (that I paid for) and an oceanview (just for a 2-day cruise). Otherwise, I've had insides, including a solo studio (which I refer to as a "doubly landlocked inside", as the cabins across from it were insides).

If price were not a factor, I'd probably book balconies. Heck, if it were truly not a factor, I'd book the high-end suite that has its own butler. But I'm not a multi-millionaire. :-) I don't hate balconies. I don't hate oceanviews (although the one I had for 2 days was small, with very little way to get into the bed from the side). I like knowing that it's morning when I wake up and not having to check my phone to see if it's 3:30 or 6:30. I like knowing if the ship's in port yet, or if there's amazing scenery, without having to trek up to the Lido deck. And I sometimes do sink washing when I travel, and it'd make drying easier. But it's generally not worth it to me to spend the money. I travel alone, so I'm already usually spending double.

I don't spend time in my cabin--if I wanted to sit around staring at 4 walls, I'd stay home and do it here for free. A balcony is nice to have, but I won't spend much time on it. Maybe a few times, like to see how things are in the morning...or to sit out at night and just breathe some fresh air. On the other hand, of course, if it were a multi-week world cruise or something, I'd get something a bit better.

I think insides come with a bit less hassle (correct me if I'm wrong?) because the crew doesn't need to access them for cleaning or maintenance like they do for balconies. I know there have been times on a ship where they've "closed" the balconies for an hour or so while the ship was in port so they could do something. You don't have those issues with insides.

• 1 month later...

Got my first inside coming up and if we like it I will book more of them in the future.  

Cost is only one reason.  For this particular sailing by the time we were able to firm up the plan only cabins in good locations were insides.  The higher category cabins left all had various deal breaking problems. 

Adding another comment...

We tried a balcony for the first time and loved it.  So for 2 upcoming cruises, we look at another balcony, but then also looked at 2 connecting interiors for the double bathroom , plus our kids get their own bed vs sharing a sofa bed.  The price was similar so we went with the 2 rooms.  We'll miss the balcony but 2 balconies were much more than we wanted to spend so the extra space beat out.

PS - The only reason we went for the balcony on our last cruise is because it came up as a guarantee so price wasn't much more than our booked interior.

Edited by LuCruise

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a solo cruiser and I have stayed in balcony, ocean view and inside cabin categories on my 10+ cruises.  I don't spend a lot of time in the cabins but having a window stateroom helps me adjust to any timezone changes and I use the morning sunlight to wake me up.  However,  last year I sailed on the Anthem of the Seas and tried an inside cabin with virtual balcony which I found to be nice.  The virtual balcony was a full wall of the cabin with fake drapes and I enjoyed the added feature of having a remote control to turn it off if I wanted to.  What I typically do when booking a cruise is select an inside cabin for the cost savings but if the price of the cruise goes down I always upgrade.

• Like 1

Only stayed once in an inside cabin with a good friend.   It was pretty inexpensive, best part , it was dark when lights off.    I was able to get the best sleep.  DH and I usually stay in Balconies or Suites,. depending on where we are heading. 

Honestly I usually go for the least expensive option UNLESS there is just a crazy great deal.  I travel with two kids, 14 and 11 and prefer less expensive options and two cabins rather than a crowded balcony or outside.  We just aren’t in our rooms enough to justify the added expense and would rather use the savings to splurge elsewhere.  When awake, I’d rather be out and about rather than in my cabin anyway.

Price.  Although I would really, really like to experience the balcony factor.  I been on one cruise that was 10 yrs ago , inside cabin with 4 of us on Norwegian Dawn.  Yea, it was pretty tight but was first cruise didn't know any better.  This time around 10 years later, it was a toss between a balcony for the 4 of us OR 2 rooms connecting so the teens can be in one and we would be in the other which would give us some privacy but more room and less squished feeling.   So pre-black Friday I was gonna go for the balcony for us 4 cuz of the PRICE.  It was cheaper than the 2 connecting rooms by anywhere from $500-$700.  But I decided to wait a week for black Friday and now I'm getting what I originally wanted.....the 2 connecting rooms....for the price of what the one balcony was!  RC Anthem of the Seas, the inner staterooms with the virtual realty ocean view.  Can't wait! 

43 minutes ago, dawnie417 said:

Price.  Although I would really, really like to experience the balcony factor.  I been on one cruise that was 10 yrs ago , inside cabin with 4 of us on Norwegian Dawn.  Yea, it was pretty tight but was first cruise didn't know any better.  This time around 10 years later, it was a toss between a balcony for the 4 of us OR 2 rooms connecting so the teens can be in one and we would be in the other which would give us some privacy but more room and less squished feeling.   So pre-black Friday I was gonna go for the balcony for us 4 cuz of the PRICE.  It was cheaper than the 2 connecting rooms by anywhere from $500-$700.  But I decided to wait a week for black Friday and now I'm getting what I originally wanted.....the 2 connecting rooms....for the price of what the one balcony was!  RC Anthem of the Seas, the inner staterooms with the virtual realty ocean view.  Can't wait! 

Exact same dilemma.  Really love the balcony but we also went for 2 connecting rooms (also the virtual rooms on Anthem) over a single balcony.  Our kids are getting older too so they will appreciate having their own bed vs sharing a sofa bed.  

For our cruise, price is similar (and i think a bit cheaper with 2 interior rooms) but much more to get 2 balconies.

6 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Exact same dilemma.  Really love the balcony but we also went for 2 connecting rooms (also the virtual rooms on Anthem) over a single balcony.  Our kids are getting older too so they will appreciate having their own bed vs sharing a sofa bed.  

For our cruise, price is similar (and i think a bit cheaper with 2 interior rooms) but much more to get 2 balconies.

what do you mean you got the virtual rooms over a single balcony?  do u mean ur room is a balcony and the connecting room for the kids is the virtual??  or both virtual? lol   I'm pretty happy with what we got.  The savings was a a few hundred and glad I waited till black Friday.  if not we woulda had the one room, even tho a balcony, prob miserable with all of us trying to get ready in one bathroom too LOL

41 minutes ago, dawnie417 said:

what do you mean you got the virtual rooms over a single balcony?  do u mean ur room is a balcony and the connecting room for the kids is the virtual??  or both virtual? lol   I'm pretty happy with what we got.  The savings was a a few hundred and glad I waited till black Friday.  if not we woulda had the one room, even tho a balcony, prob miserable with all of us trying to get ready in one bathroom too LOL

Sorry if my email wasn't clear.  Meant that we ended up booking 2 connecting virtual balcony rooms on Anthem (i.e. 2 interiors that have the screen).  Debated between that, or getting a single balcony room for the 4 of us.