NCL Starward

Hey I found another Starward picture. This one was from 1975, my second time on the Starward. My family loved the NCL "white ships" as I've heard them called. We did:

Starward in 1970

Skyward 1971

Southward 1973

Southward 1974

Starward 1975

Southward 1979

847829878_nclstarward.jpg.961b7d69b7fe2d832e09130f1523d27a.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I cruised on the Starward in the 70's and twenty years later in the 90's. The first cruise was from Miami and we stopped in Jamaica. I remember rafting down the river in Port Antonio. There were long bamboo rafts that were poled along the river by a "captain". People in boats would come by and sell drinks and refreshments. At the end was a bar called "Rafter's Rest" which served drinks that were cold, wet, and strong. I recall staggering back to the ship. They had a steel band that played on the deck. So fun.

The second time on the Starward was in the 90's on a seven day cruise from Los Angeles to the Mexican Riviera. I enjoyed both cruises and have fond memories of the ship. I loved the bar that was "suspended" between the two stacks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Working as a deckhand in the 70's on the Starward, I remember well stopping at Port Antonio and Ocho Rios in Jamaica. Was a completely different time, no dock in Ocho Rios had to tender a boat to get over. The ship stayed the whole night in Ocho Rios.

Perhaps we were on at the same time. I have good memories of that ship and Jamaica. We hired a guide who kept saying that his wife had saved him from the "demon rum".

Edited by Kentskie

The Starward was our first cruise in 1985! We went to NCL's private island (what was that called??), Jamaica, Grand Caymen and Cozumel!

My BIL took us on her and we had a great time! We also had an inside cabin with two small beds and just a very tiny bit of room between them two walk! We laugh at that now as we tell our children how small it was compared to the rooms they have had on ships!

We did not take another cruise until 2002! What a difference in the size of the ships! I love the fact that we didn't know any better :rolleyes: and that the ship was huge to us!

So glad I searched online to find out what happened to her and it led me right back to CC!

Demon rum! I have heard many people say that!

It was especially great in his Jamaican accent. He even took us by his house to introduce us to his wife he also took us to a million dollar mansion which was incredible. Of course this was decades ago it's probably worth a lot more now.

• 2 years later...

My wife and I took our first cruise on the Starward. Sometime between '78 or so and '84. Left from Miami. My spouse viewed the cruise as a shopping expedition. Lots of purchases in St. Thomas, carvings in Puerto Plata, I bought rum in San Juan, and got scraped up by coral snorkeling at the private island. Still have a few bottles of rum from that cruise as well as the carvings and I think some linens purchased in St Thomas.

We had a rough cruise... many passengers got sea sick (me included) you could hear the moans of passengers from other cabins as the ship hit swells. Almost cured me of cruising. That - and the dirty diesel fumes on the aft outside decks:(... It was fun, but... not fun. I thought the earth was moving under my feet for about 3 weeks after the cruise ended. It was quite an experience. Long time before we took another cruise. I'm sure that NCL is a whole lot better than it was.

• 3 weeks later...

From a blog post I found on the net: -

https://travelswithanthonytwo.wordpress.com/2016/04/14/louis-aura-the-end/

it looks like the Starward is at the end of its life...

to quote a portion of the blog post:

It looks very much like the end of the line for the Louis Aura.

The 16,400 ton ship has been towed from Piraeus to the outer port of Salamina and placed in what is described as a ‘state of permanent lay up’.

Sadly, it seems almost certain that her last voyage to the scrapyard beckons. She was one of the true, pioneering cruise ships, and many people retain fond memories of their time aboard what was one of the most forward thinking and evolutionary cruise ships of all time.

She will be sadly missed, but few ships have served so well, for so long. Her dignity remains intact to the end.

From a blog post I found on the net: -

https://travelswithanthonytwo.wordpress.com/2016/04/14/louis-aura-the-end/

it looks like the Starward is at the end of its life...

to quote a portion of the blog post:

It looks very much like the end of the line for the Louis Aura.

The 16,400 ton ship has been towed from Piraeus to the outer port of Salamina and placed in what is described as a ‘state of permanent lay up’.

Sadly, it seems almost certain that her last voyage to the scrapyard beckons. She was one of the true, pioneering cruise ships, and many people retain fond memories of their time aboard what was one of the most forward thinking and evolutionary cruise ships of all time.

She will be sadly missed, but few ships have served so well, for so long. Her dignity remains intact to the end.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I loved that ship. It will be missed.

Looks like the Starward/Louis Aura is for sale.

Just intrigued as to what happened to the ship we first cruised on - see:

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1222039/

not identified by name - but sure matches pictures I have seen of her in her most recent sails. A mere 14MM and you can start your own cruise company.

Sad to see the old Starward on the used ship market.

Looks like the Starward/Louis Aura is for sale.

Just intrigued as to what happened to the ship we first cruised on - see:

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1222039/

not identified by name - but sure matches pictures I have seen of her in her most recent sails. A mere 14MM and you can start your own cruise company.

Sad to see the old Starward on the used ship market.

Thanks for that post. Great find.

From a post found on the net.

CruiseBreakings: Marco Polo and Louis Aura heading for scrap?

cruisebreakings.blogspot.com/2016/04/marco-polo-and-louis-aura-heading-for.html

Marco Polo and Louis Aura heading for scrap?

It seems that two old and historical cruise ships are heading for scrap. I'm talking about Louis Aura and Marco Polo. Both due to engine issues, Lous Aura should be beached in Aliaga, Turkey, next June, after she will be replaced by the Astoria for the charter with Rivages du Monde. Marco Polo should be broked up with the entering in service of the Columbus in 2017. No statements about this has been released by the operating lines.

• 2 years later...

To Everyone Here,

Looks like I am a little late to the party, but I just found this thread. My first cruise was on the Starward in Oct 1996 for my honeymoon. I have very fond memories, and cruising really made an impression on me. I thought everything was wonderful, particularly the food in the dining room and the entertainment.

I believe at some point with NCL her name was changed to simply "Star." Thanks to everyone here for the life story of my first ship, and bringing back so many fond memories!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Just stumbled upon this thread and found it so interesting. I took my first cruise on the Starward as a graduation present from college in 1972. Cruising with parents and my twin sister,  we met many crew members and had lots of fun on board and in ports. It was back in the day on the Starward where they had a  family “exchange program” for families on board and in Jamaica. What a wonderful experience. That was my first of many small ship trips! Honeymooned on Carnival Festival in 1985 and have so many fond memories of that trip and later in 92. Took a European Viking trip a few years ago but have no interest in the megamonster floating hotels now, so miss the smaller ships that you could actually see and feel the water around and under you. Considering a Windjammer for my next trip! 

• 2 months later...

The MS Starward was my first-ever cruise, it was in the early 90's, I think 91 or 92. Anyway, I'll never forget it for a number of reasons: 1. First cruise ever. 2. Midnight buffet with tons of food! 3. Seeing St Maarten, Martinique, Antigua, Barbados, St Thomas, and probably San Juan. 4. Bumping my head on the nightstand next to the bed in our tiny indoor cabin. I still have a scar from that! Ah, the good ole days!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of nice souvenirs from the Starward. I have a nie souvenir spoon and a circle deck of playing cards still in the original holder. I've never seen circle shaped ones before until I got these. Also have a glass souvenir tray with the fleet names on it. Have a nice souvenir bell too from the Starward. 

ncl glass souvenir.jpg

ncl playing cards.jpg

starward bell.jpg

starward spoon.jpg

Hi,

The Starward was the first ship my husband was on as a doctor.  We were on for 4 weeks (August 1992) before being transferred to the Sunward as well as the wonderful SS Norway later on.  In those days NCL permitted the doctor's wife to travel along with him.  I don't think that happens anymore.

But, those were the days, my friends!!!!

happytotravel