Fjords

Jack Staff

Hello

I am looking at Norway Fjord cruises for this year and wondering if those who have experienced these could advise on the best cruise length. I notice that most cruise lines seem to offer approx. 7 day experiences.

Any advice on cruise ships/lines that offer the Fjords will be appreciated.

I have cruised before and am looking at a UK embarkation.

Hello. I've done a few Fjords cruises, all with Cunard. They have all been 7 days, visiting such places as Bergen, Flam, Stavanger, Geiranger, Alesund and Olden.

As to the length, it depends on what ports you would like to do. If you want to go as far north as Trondheim and Honningsvag you will probably need 12-14 days.

Cunard and P&O do the fjords from Southampton. Marella (Thompson) and Fred Olsen do fjords cruises from Newcastle.There will be other lines and ports that go there too.

We've been to Norway from Southampton, with Independence of the Seas, which was a bit big to visit some of the fjords, but it was 8 days, with sea days just going and returning up the North Sea.

We've also been on Fred Olsen out of Newcastle, which was, I think, about 11 days, and visited some of the smaller fjords. We actually started sailing in them the next day after leaving NC, as Norway's quite near. This was a better ship, although older, and without all the activities of Indy, but as there were many fewer passengers there was no hold up getting off, and the small villages visited weren't as overwhelmed by thousands of people descending on them.

We prefer a longer cruise than a week, but much will depend on your free time. Once we've packed and travelled to a port, a week on board doesn't seem long enough! :)

We're researching a Fjords and Iceland cruise at present as it works out 14 days.Best deal at the moment is Marella which is £2000 cheaper than others and all inclusive.Sails from Newcastle which quite a way for us but worth it.We are doing our 1st Marella cruise in August so will see how good they are before booking this one.cheers,Brian.

• 3 weeks later...