P&O vs Royal Caribbean: price difference?

BanburyBlue

Hi,

We are looking at a short cruise in October, sailing from Southampton. I've found 2 suitable cruises:-

• P&O Belgium & The Netherlands (R818N) on the Aurora (10 Oct to 15 Oct).
  • Royal Caribbean French & Dutch Adventure on the Independence of the Seas (20 Oct to the 25 Oct).

What surprises me is the price difference. The RCI cruise is between £1,358 & £1,658 for a balcony cabin, whereas the P&O cruise is £1,898 & £2,114 for a balcony cabin.

Now considering how many extra facilities they have on a RCI ship, I would have thought they would be more expensive?

Am I missing something?

Ta.

We've sailed both ships and enjoyed both - Aurora is a favourite of ours, a proper classic cruise ship design.

Three things to check out ..........

P&O offers two price options - I forget the names, but the higher-priced option includes port parking / transfers / on-board credit (you choose which), choice of a specific cabin, dining choice, and port shuttles at applicable ports-of-call. The lower-priced option you get what you're allocated and you don't get the freebies (though you can pay for port shuttles in whichever ports you want).

IMHO the price difference between the two P&O price options is far greater than the difference in benefits - I don't know which price option you're quoting.

Also, on-board expenses are much higher on RCI.

Check out in particular the differences in

- the daily service charges / tips / grats / whatever-you-call-them. I'm probably out-of-date but I think on RCI it's around $14.50 per person per night, & on P&O around £6.

- drinks prices. Can't quote prices, though they'll be on the RCI and P&O boards, I guess about 20% (?) higher on RCI than P&O, plus a 15% service charge on each drink. On P&O they're about the same as provincial pubs & no service charge.

Our experience is that closer to the date P&O prices go down much more than RCI's, though that's not always the case.

Not sure whether those factors close that price gap, but they certainly narrow it.

Yes, RCI is more glitzy and has lots of toys, like Adventure's flow-rider, climbing wall & ice rink (excellent ice shows) and a generally much livelier experience, though the Royal Promenade & bars get ridiculously crowded.

For kids, I'd choose Adventure, for a gentler and more relaxed cruise I'd choose Aurora.

So it's not just about prices, it's also about what a person is looking for in a cruise.

JB :)

Hi JB. Many thanks - very useful information.

I was quoting the more expensive P&O prices (select fares?). We have enjoyed P&O, but have found them a little 'staid', so we thought we ought to explore the other cruise lines to see what they're like.

I must admit, at this point in time, trying out RCI feels like we are going to the other extreme :confused:.

Although I've looked at the RCI website, I'm struggling to work out what's included and what isn't? Can you help here?

So I'm assuming they have the same concept of a MDR and a buffet type restaurant which are inclusive? So are all the other restaurant's on board RCI ships chargeable, or is like Cunard where some are included and some are not (and I guess is it obvious which are which)?

Likewise, the RCI website seems to suggest they are a lot of daytime activities, exercise classes and the like, are these included? And similarly all the toys on deck?

Once again, many thanks.

Hi,your best bet is to go on the P&O board and ask the same question.There is a guy there called Grapau who has sailed both these lines many times.You will get good info without any stick as they are all Brits also,cheers,Brian.

Hi JB. Many thanks - very useful information.

I was quoting the more expensive P&O prices (select fares?). We have enjoyed P&O, but have found them a little 'staid', so we thought we ought to explore the other cruise lines to see what they're like.

I must admit, at this point in time, trying out RCI feels like we are going to the other extreme :confused:.

Although I've looked at the RCI website, I'm struggling to work out what's included and what isn't? Can you help here?

So I'm assuming they have the same concept of a MDR and a buffet type restaurant which are inclusive? So are all the other restaurant's on board RCI ships chargeable, or is like Cunard where some are included and some are not (and I guess is it obvious which are which)?

Likewise, the RCI website seems to suggest they are a lot of daytime activities, exercise classes and the like, are these included? And similarly all the toys on deck?

Once again, many thanks.

Yes, "select" and the cheaper option is erroneously called "early saver" :confused:

I rate P&O as bland, you rate them as staid - we're both singing from the same song-sheet. ;)

Just MHO but I reckon in that respect Princess and Celebrity come somewhere between P&O and RCI.

I don't see RCI as being at the opposite extreme, but a short cruise out of Southampton just might be. Worth digging deeper.

Yes, RCI offer a main dining rooms (allocated depending whether you fine traditional or anytime) and a buffet. I rate their buffet as significantly better than P&O's for both surroundings and fayre. Plus included snack outlets open at popular times, both inside & out. More premium-pay restaurants on Adventure, but we never found the need to use one. I recall we couldn't figure whether one coffee-shop on the Royal Prom was payable - so we didn't use it.:rolleyes:

Most activities are free, broadly its only those which involve materials (cooking? flower-arranging?) that are chargeable

The toys are free, but usually heavily subscribed. Ditto the ice shows, though they do ensure that everyone has the chance to attend one.

We have no cruise line loyalties, we're more driven by itinerary & price.

So we know a lot of cruise lines, but not a lot about any of them.

Brian's suggestion of asking Grapau on the P&O board is a sound suggestion.

JB :)

Royal have a lot more on board costs (plus gratuities) and this makes the onboard spend a lot higher. Although if you are not interested in any of these things (drinks, specialty restaurants, activities, etc), then perhaps the price is right.

Hi,

We are looking at a short cruise in October, sailing from Southampton. I've found 2 suitable cruises:-

• P&O Belgium & The Netherlands (R818N) on the Aurora (10 Oct to 15 Oct).
  • Royal Caribbean French & Dutch Adventure on the Independence of the Seas (20 Oct to the 25 Oct).

What surprises me is the price difference. The RCI cruise is between £1,358 & £1,658 for a balcony cabin, whereas the P&O cruise is £1,898 & £2,114 for a balcony cabin.

Now considering how many extra facilities they have on a RCI ship, I would have thought they would be more expensive?

Am I missing something?

Ta.[/quote

Think the RC cruise is in school half term holidays so there may be a high percentage of children on board especially with all the new bells and whistles on independence after its recent dry dock