SS Veracruz

• 1 month later...

Our first cruise was on the SS Veracruz we loved that ship. Our cabin was so tiny we had pull down bunks. We had so much fun!! We went on her four times and the last cruise we took was her final voyage. They said she had been sold to a private owner. So we toasted (several times) off the front decks to bid her farewell. We have sailed many times since that first time but it will always be our favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

The old Veracruz is alive and well. It is now sailing out of FLL under a new owner and name. I saw it in April of this year, and was quite surprised.. I was on it years ago on a cruise to nowhere.. I's blue and white now ans I believe it's new name was Royal Princess, but not a 100% sure of that..

The old Veracruz is alive and well. It is now sailing out of FLL under a new owner and name. I saw it in April of this year, and was quite surprised.. I was on it years ago on a cruise to nowhere.. I's blue and white now ans I believe it's new name was Royal Princess, but not a 100% sure of that..
You must be thinking of REGAL EMPRESS, which is not the same ship as VERACRUZ. As you can see from AJL's link above, VERACRUZ burned and sank in Greece in 1990.

REGAL EMPRESS is the former OLYMPIA/CARIBE. You can read more about her here.

• 1 month later...

I sailed the Veracruz twice, once during Hurricane Gilbert in 1988, and last on a corresponding complimentary cruise in 1989. That ship was a lot of fun. I had the best time during Gilbert. We sailed for nearly a week and never made port. I learned then that sea sickness on a cruise ship was not a problem for me as long as the drinks kept coming.

• 7 months later...

The Veracruz was my first cruise in 1985. We had a wonderful time! The staterooms were so tiny and the bathrooms..oh my....we could shower and use the toilet at the same time!:p I have picture of the Veracruz beside a Carnival ship....the Veracruz looked like the Carnival's tugboat:D

I have picture of the Veracruz beside a Carnival ship....the Veracruz looked like the Carnival's tugboat:D

And think about this... The biggest Carnival ship that was around in 1985 was a little over 1/3 the size of a current CONQUEST-class ship!

And think about this... The biggest Carnival ship that was around in 1985 was a little over 1/3 the size of a current CONQUEST-class ship!

That thought did cross my mind when I was looking at our pictures.

We had a great time on that cruise, but it was NOTHING like the cruises we take today!

Breakfast was continental style, nothing hot. No midnight buffet, or any type of buffet for that matter. Mid-morning and mid-afternoon tea was literally tea and cookies....enough cookies so that each passenger got 2, but no more!:(

We still enjoyed it though, but glad we cruise the way we do now!

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My first (Senior) cruise was on the SS Vera Cruz in 87, and I have been hooked ever since. Can anyone post a photos of the Vera Cruz? I have tried to describe it to my wife and kids, but it is difficult for them to visualize it since their experience has been on the modern ships.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep checking back to see the comments about the Veracurz. See was the first cruise ship I was on and I have been addicted ever since. I still have fond memories of that cruise and am always telling people how small the cabins were. I am going on the Freedom of the Seas in Nov. what a difference.

Anyone know what ever happened to the SS Veracruz I went on my first cruise on her in Sept 1986, she had to have the smallest staterooms. but we had a great time since she was small we seemed to meet everyone.

Wow... the Veracruz. We loved our time on this cruiseship.

My husband and I went on our first cruise on this ship in the fall of 1980. When our taxi took us to the NYC Ship Terminal to embark on the ship, we both looked at each other and said "This is the ship we are going on?". After watching "The Love Boat" for so many years, we were expecting a much bigger ship! Our cabin was a sofa that opened into a full size bed (and when the bed was opened there was not much leeway space on either side). The cruise was a 7 day trip from NYC to Nassau, Bahamas and return. In Nassau we were docked next to "The Rotterdam" and I remember she was so big that we were looking up at her from our top deck. We had a WONDERFUL time though on the Veracruz and the service was great. This was the start of our cruise bug fever (we are up to 30 cruises now).

Thanks for bringing back these memories to me of the VERACRUZ!

• 3 weeks later...

The Veracruz was my first and second voyage, first one through the St. Lawrence seaway around 1985 and the second to the Mexican Riviera around 1987. My parents and I tucked into one of those teeny tiny cabins - I just loved it and nowadays miss the small ships. In fact, my second one as a "past passenger" was filled with perks I've not encountered since - being named the "queen of the cruise" (for their passenger ice-breaker) and dining with the captain. He even had them hold up the last night's show for the "crowning" since we had just sat down to dinner when I was paged. The sad part is that no-one ever "discovered" me even though they'd ask my mom and I'd be sitting with them :rolleyes:

Very fond memories...

K

• 1 month later...

Have very fond memories of the Veracruz. When I was a kid we used to picnic down at the Cape Cod Canal every other Sunday night and watch the Veracruz sail through. Capt. Neary, a former pilot of the Cape Cod Canal, brought me to sail through the canal a couple of times with him and I was so excited to meet the captain (Capt. Larsen) and the CD (Cliff Nelson). When I was a kid I loved watching the "Love Boat" and dreamed of working on a ship someday. In 1986 my family took a cruise out of Tampa on the Veracruz the week after the Challenger explosion. I remember it was the best family vacation ever and I was the only one in my 6th grade class who had ever been on a cruise. The cabin was so small and there were 4 of us in it. Since then I have been on almost 30 cruises but still remember the Veracruz fondly.

Hi yes she was a very small ship .maybe the smallest to cruise fron NYC back in the 1980's I did get to go on her when she was at the Hoboken ship yard in dry dock back in the late 80's.I new someone who worked at the yard .He took me for a look around at nighttime .I got some great shots of her all lite up at nightime ! What a site to see a cruise ship in dry dock .The yard and ship are no more !!

:cool: Mr Veendam

Crown Princess 8/25/06

Carnival Elation 4/9/07

Liberty of the seas 8/25/07

Regal Empress 8/2/07

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My wife and my first and only cruise was in August of 1982 from Montreal to New York. Now 25 years later we are going on our second cruise on the Oosterdam to the Mexico Riveria on March 24. The Veracruz was described to us as the Volkswagen of cruises and our cabin was the size of a postage stamp, but we were much younger then. We booked a suite on the Oosterdam and hope this will be more like a BMW. Looking forward to celebating my birthday on the Oosterdam.

• 2 weeks later...

back in late april early may of 1985 we were in port next to the veracruz. i remember the night before it was rough. nobody was on deck that morning i thought everyone must be sick because she was 1/3 the size of the carnival miracle and we got bounced around that night before