Whale Watching in Cabo

DiMar

Has anyone done the Cabo San Lucas Private Whale Watching and Sailing Charter with cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com? It only takes a max of 8 ppl. It looks nice but would like to hear from people who have done it.

I have done this twice. However, not with this company. IMHO I would not do a whale watch in Cabo unless it is on a zodiac boat. Just the ride itself is worth money even if you don't see whales which very highly unlikely. They can get those zodiacs really close to the whales. Much closer that a regular boat. They hold a lot less people between 10 and 16, something like that Every seat is good. Once they got so close you touch a whale (No did). There are several companies that do the zodiac whale watch.

We have done Whale Watching in Cabo a few times. We always just get on the pier and use one of the private companies there. Don’t take the first price. We have gone for 20.00 each for 3 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can get those zodiacs really close to the whales. Much closer that a regular boat.

This is exactly why I don't like zodiacs, especially the way they run them in Mexico. They are aggressively chasing after the whales in a way that would never be allowed in Hawaii.

I love Mexico and its people in general, but they are all wrong when they run after and very nearly herd the whales.

P.S. This was a Princess excursion we were on when we experienced this, so they are complicit.

Jim

This is exactly why I don't like zodiacs, especially the way they run them in Mexico. They are aggressively chasing after the whales in a way that would never be allowed in Hawaii.

I've done a goodly number of Cabo whale watches on everything from a zodiac to a large catamaran, and I honestly prefer the cat. While the zodiac is undeniably thrilling, it's also restrictive. Last time on the catamaran we didn't get close to the whales; the whales got very close to the boat. We could also move around, go to the head, more easily deal with binocs and cameras, and have a nice tropical drink as we headed back toward shore.

And I've also seen non-raft boats attempt to get too close for the whales' comfort.

I love Mexico and its people in general, but they are all wrong when they run after and very nearly herd the whales.

P.S. This was a Princess excursion we were on when we experienced this, so they are complicit.

Jim

I agree completely. I went on my one and only whale watching excursion in Cabo on a zodiac (booked through Princess). After I saw the way our zodiac (and the other zodiacs that were also out there at the same time) chased after the whales, I vowed that I'd never take an excursion like that again. It just felt too much like harassment and I worried that we were over-stressing the whales.

Instead of a fond memory of seeing whales, I feel intense guilt every time I think of that trip.

I know that this doesn't answer the OP's actual question and I apologise for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Dimar we loved that tour!! It’s this one https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/private-whale-watching-and-coastal-sailing-charter/ correct ?

The sailboat was gorgeous and the whales got really close ... maybe because we didn’t have a loud motorboat ? We had dolphins swim along side our sailboat too . We highly recommend it.

We didn’t chase them down, they were around us:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by TMR2

Jim

I have to agree with you on that.

• 4 weeks later...
Dimar we loved that tour!! It’s this one https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/private-whale-watching-and-coastal-sailing-charter/ correct ?

The sailboat was gorgeous and the whales got really close ... maybe because we didn’t have a loud motorboat ? We had dolphins swim along side our sailboat too . We highly recommend it.

We didn’t chase them down, they were around us:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this sailing one with Cabo San Lucas Cruise excursions too and it was INCREDIBLE

I’ve been to Cabo many times and taken a variety of whale watch tours, from the ship’s large group tour (awful) to a private catamaran. Most were over-crowded and not worth the money. On one, the boat had a photographer who stood and blocked everyone’s view and then sold photos. On another, people literally fought for position at the rail.

The best by far was Whale Watch Cabo. Relatively small group, room to move around, experienced guides, etc. There is a photographer and photos are included in the price of the tour. It was awesome. https://whalewatchcabo.com

• 5 weeks later...