Prescription snorkel masks -questions

canadianbear

Wondering if anyone has tried the Tusa M-212 Freedom Ceos mask? We live in western Canada and I’m tired of not being able you see properly while snorkeling. Our local store offers this mask with prescription.

I think it will be worth the cost as we have 4 upcoming cruises where we will be snorkeling. I need it for distance-not wanting to try contacts.

Just wondering any thoughts on this particular mask and if anyone has a prescription mask, are you happy with it?

If my prescription is -2.50 is that what I order? Or does the mask magnify more?

I’ll ask all this too at the dive shop when I go but like opinions on here if possible too.

Thanks for any info.

At the shop where I teach, we use TUSA masks for students in class. The CEOS is one that I generally start with as it works well for a wide variety of faces. That being said, you'd certainly want to try it for fit, at least in the pool, before spending the money to have it fitted with lenses. it's a fine quality mask, at a reasonable price, so if it fits you, it will be good.

The water will provide some magnification. Generally things appear 25% closer, and 33% larger, although that effect diminishes with distance. I have the opposite vision problem, I need reading glasses. The water's magnification eliminates my need for correction. Cue Card slates that I have trouble with on the surface, I can read fine underwater.

Harris

Denver, CO

www.divessi.com/pro/64612

Thanks omeinv

Hmm...I wonder if they’d let me try the mask first in water before committing-I’ll ask. We certainly aren’t experts in snorkeling but do it enough on holidays (not at home) to justify the expense I think for me to see properly. (I’ve now convinced myself & hubby agrees).

That’s what I was wondering about magnification. I took a great photo of a turtle on our last cruise which honestly was just luck as I couldn’t see it clearly.

Thanks again for your insight.

Wondering if anyone has tried the Tusa M-212 Freedom Ceos mask? We live in western Canada and I’m tired of not being able you see properly while snorkeling. Our local store offers this mask with prescription.

I think it will be worth the cost as we have 4 upcoming cruises where we will be snorkeling. I need it for distance-not wanting to try contacts.

Just wondering any thoughts on this particular mask and if anyone has a prescription mask, are you happy with it?

If my prescription is -2.50 is that what I order? Or does the mask magnify more?

I’ll ask all this too at the dive shop when I go but like opinions on here if possible too.

Thanks for any info.

I have that mask after owning a few and having tried on dozens - I love it and did try it in the dive shop pool first. Also, my girlfriend has the same mask with prescription lenses and our local dive shop knew exactly what to do to her prescription to account for water magnification. The Rx lenses were only about a $40 upcharge, which I thought was reasonable. Girlfriend now enjoys snorkeling so much more and says being able to see is a game changer. Your dive shop should be able to assist you with your questions and, if not, go to another shop.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have that mask after owning a few and having tried on dozens - I love it and did try it in the dive shop pool first. Also, my girlfriend has the same mask with prescription lenses and our local dive shop knew exactly what to do to her prescription to account for water magnification. The Rx lenses were only about a $40 upcharge, which I thought was reasonable. Girlfriend now enjoys snorkeling so much more and says being able to see is a game changer. Your dive shop should be able to assist you with your questions and, if not, go to another shop.

Great to hear! I phoned the local dive shop and he was super on the phone. Will be going there in person by the end of the week to try on the mask. The upcharge was very reasonable like you said. Am very excited to get this and try on our next cruise in late November.

Thank you.

Great to hear! I phoned the local dive shop and he was super on the phone. Will be going there in person by the end of the week to try on the mask. The upcharge was very reasonable like you said. Am very excited to get this and try on our next cruise in late November.

Thank you.

That is great!!

I have a much older prescription mask that I've had for at least 10 years. My RX is -6.5 and -7. My RX has changed over the years, but with the magnification you get from the water, I can still see fine. It will be money well spent!

Canadian Bear - where did you go to get the prescription mask?

We live in Langley and my wife snorkels with me but can't see well and so does not enjoy it as much as I do. Maybe with proper lenses she will like it better. We are also heading out in November.

Don

We live in Langley and my wife snorkels with me but can't see well and so does not enjoy it as much as I do. Maybe with proper lenses she will like it better. We are also heading out in November.

Don

I purchased it at International Dive Shop at 2572 Arbutus, 604-736-2541. I had phoned them prior and spoke with Reid who also helped me when I went in.

Get her to take her prescription in with her from her optometrist and they can help her decide.

I didn’t go for the exact prescription of my eyes but something close-basically it goes in increments for example if you’re -2.75 you have to choose either -2.50 or -3.0. They have example small lenses you can try. (Look on the shelves for it-I held several different strengths to decide).

They had a wide variety of colours of the M-212 mask which was on sale and can then take out the lens from the mask and put in the prescription lens you choose right there. If you think you picked a wrong lens for one of your eyes when there they pop out the lens and try a different strength.

Was a lot less expensive than getting one made to my exact prescription and got it right on the spot. Very happy!

After two cruises and a trip to Cuba without a prescription snorkel mask, I bought one at a local dive shop in Edmonton before our cruise last January. What a huge difference!! I did the same as you - took my prescription in from my optometrist and then chose lenses in the store that were closest to my prescription. The upcost was very minimal. I was SO HAPPY with the results! I absolutely loved snorkelling on our last cruise, and can't wait to go again in November. Being able to see made all the difference in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Don

Did you get your wife a mask?

Not Yet.

We don't get into those parts very often.

We sail on our cruise in seven weeks, and I plan to get one before then. Maybe one for our adult daughter as well for a Christmas present.

My wife heard of an optical store that also does this, so we are wondering if we should check that out, as they are closer.

Don

Not Yet.

We don't get into those parts very often.

We sail on our cruise in seven weeks, and I plan to get one before then. Maybe one for our adult daughter as well for a Christmas present.

My wife heard of an optical store that also does this, so we are wondering if we should check that out, as they are closer.

Don

Our optometrist offered as well but we found the price over $400. That wasn’t worth it to me as I don’t need my exact prescription just close.

I’m sure it will make a world of difference. Our daughter is a scuba diver so saved and did the LASIK eye surgery.

I was VERY nearsighted & absolutely loved the prescription mask I had for years. Just one suggestion: depending on your age, you might want to save the regular lenses that came with your mask before they put the prescription ones in. I had cataract surgery last year & now don't need the prescription lenses--had the regular ones put back in.

I was VERY nearsighted & absolutely loved the prescription mask I had for years. Just one suggestion: depending on your age, you might want to save the regular lenses that came with your mask before they put the prescription ones in. I had cataract surgery last year & now don't need the prescription lenses--had the regular ones put back in.

The fellow that sold me the mask said the same thing-keep the regular lenses. I’m in my mid 60’s so have saved them just in case.

Glad you loved having the prescription mask-I can hardly wait for our cruises!