Balconies

Priya2

Have sailed on all Fred's ships in the past, and loved them, especially sailing from Liverpool rather than having to get to the south coast. However, to get the type of balcony we like, we have to go into the suite categories and pay £££££.

Last year we discovered that Viking Ocean cruise ships aren't much different in price to Fred's suites and are modern, bright, comfortable and spacious. Lots of windows in public areas - it seemed that wherever you were on the ship, you could see the sea. Excursions are included, there are more dining options, no 'hard sell' extras, no photographers, no jumble sales in the atrium... bliss!

The downside is, of course, that most times you have to fly to reach the ship.

It's unlikely we'll be back to Fred - though never say never... if a ship was sailing from Liverpool over the Christmas period, I might, just might, be tempted!

Have sailed on all Fred's ships in the past, and loved them, especially sailing from Liverpool rather than having to get to the south coast. However, to get the type of balcony we like, we have to go into the suite categories and pay £££££.

Last year we discovered that Viking Ocean cruise ships aren't much different in price to Fred's suites and are modern, bright, comfortable and spacious. Lots of windows in public areas - it seemed that wherever you were on the ship, you could see the sea. Excursions are included, there are more dining options, no 'hard sell' extras, no photographers, no jumble sales in the atrium... bliss!

It's unlikely we'll be back to Fred - though never say never... if a ship was sailing from Liverpool over the Christmas period, I might, just might, be tempted!

Surely they have to respond to the increasing competition. I like the look of Viking too.

We sailed with Viking in 2016 and found it very good value for money. I agree the ship is beautiful and the cabins modern and spacious but we will not cruise with them again for two reasons. We could never get a table in the main restaurant at our prefered dining time and although the ship was full here never seemed to many people around. So it's back to Fred this year and we'll give Cunard a try next year.

• 1 month later...

We are on Braemar at present in a balcony and are very disappointed. The space on the balcony is fine but there is a huge overhang so no sun and obstructed by a lifeboat below. I like to sleep with curtains open but this is not possible in port as our balcony has had a huge searchlight on overnight. I would never book this again - simply not worth the money

The cabin layout is very poor - we are in twin beds and have had to re-organise. Original layout had small bedside tables at foot of beds which just don’t work for us as we need somewhere for a glass of water and to leave specs. Also head of bed is not against a board or a wall so pillows kept dropping off. Worst cabin I have ever been in

We are on Braemar at present in a balcony and are very disappointed. The space on the balcony is fine but there is a huge overhang so no sun and obstructed by a lifeboat below. I like to sleep with curtains open but this is not possible in port as our balcony has had a huge searchlight on overnight. I would never book this again - simply not worth the money

The cabin layout is very poor - we are in twin beds and have had to re-organise. Original layout had small bedside tables at foot of beds which just don’t work for us as we need somewhere for a glass of water and to leave specs. Also head of bed is not against a board or a wall so pillows kept dropping off. Worst cabin I have ever been in

Sorry to read that you are not enjoying your cabin. I think they need to stop with the refurbishments and just invest in some new ships!

Sorry to read that you are not enjoying your cabin. I think they need to stop with the refurbishments and just invest in some new ships!

Yes agreed

I have travelled on Adonia which is smaller and the facilities were much better but this ship seems like it’s on its last legs

One thing is puzzling me though - anything I read about FO before this cruise praised the friendliness of the staff. This is not the case here. I smile at everyone and say good morning etc but get a grunt in return. On other ships when you come back on board you are asked if you had a nice day and welcomed back. Not on here - the security staff don’t say a word you you. Our waiters don’t want to chat. This is a strange experience and not like the cruising I am used to

In my experience Braemar cabins are smaller than the cabins that can be obtained for the same price on other cruise lines. Also I find a Fred Olsen cruise to be quite expensive so it can be disappointing when your cabin does not meet your expectations. In my opinion the best cabins on Braemar are the Superior Suits that were added when she was extended. These particular cabins are on deck 7 and can be identified by the fact that they have a bathroom with a bath and over bath shower. In the past we have not booked with Fred because despite trying to book well in advance these cabins have been unavailable so have booked with other cruise lines instead. Unfortunately so far we have been unable to find a ship that suits us as much as Braemar. With regard to the balcony overhang we don't actually mind it as we prefer the shade it provides. I believe the balconies on the cabins on deck 8 do not have an overhang but I have seen comments on previous threads that passengers on the deck above can see directly onto them. I can sympathise with your situation as there is nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a holiday only to find it does not meet your expectations.

Yes agreed

I have travelled on Adonia which is smaller and the facilities were much better but this ship seems like it’s on its last legs

One thing is puzzling me though - anything I read about FO before this cruise praised the friendliness of the staff. This is not the case here. I smile at everyone and say good morning etc but get a grunt in return. On other ships when you come back on board you are asked if you had a nice day and welcomed back. Not on here - the security staff don’t say a word you you. Our waiters don’t want to chat. This is a strange experience and not like the cruising I am used to

We have cruised on Braemar several times and have always found the staff to be friendly. I have noticed over the years that waiter to tables ratio has decreased so the waiters are busier than they used to be and don't seem to have as much time to chat as they used to. A friend of mine took his first Fred Olsen cruise the other year and complained that the waiters were too familiar so I guess you can't please everybody. We were on Celebrity Eclipse a few years ago and found the waiters very chatty, unfortunately they always seemed to be chatting to other tables who were well into their meals while we were still waiting for our meal and wine orders to be taken. Although Celebrity Eclipse was a much glitzier and glamorous ship with larger and better appointed cabins we shall not be in a hurry to cruise with Celebrity again. I believe Fred has someone monitoring these threads who will hopefully pass on your comments for investigation and that by the time of our next cruise any problems will have been sorted out.

Yes agreed

Not like the cruising I’m used to either! We have so far only cruised with Celebrity and Azamara. The staff are always helpful and friendly (even more friendly on Celebrity despite what Azamara loyalists say). Fred is going to have some serious competition, like it’s never had before in a couple of years. Liverpool Cruise Terminal have now obtained planning permission for a huge extention and £50m has been agreed for this. The contractor has now been identified and this will allow the port to have turnaround facilities for ships carrying up to 3600 passengers. Happy days!

Not like the cruising I’m used to either! We have so far only cruised with Celebrity and Azamara. The staff are always helpful and friendly (even more friendly on Celebrity despite what Azamara loyalists say). Fred is going to have some serious competition, like it’s never had before in a couple of years. Liverpool Cruise Terminal have now obtained planning permission for a huge extention and £50m has been agreed for this. The contractor has now been identified and this will allow the port to have turnaround facilities for ships carrying up to 3600 passengers. Happy days!

Our next 2 cruises booked are back with Celebrity and I can’t wait. Per night we have paid more for this cruise than we have paid for Celebrity past and future. To repeat this experience would only be worthwhile at a bargain basement price

Our next 2 cruises booked are back with Celebrity and I can’t wait. Per night we have paid more for this cruise than we have paid for Celebrity past and future. To repeat this experience would only be worthwhile at a bargain basement price
which Celebrity ships are you sailing on and where to?