US Warns Stay out of Cancun!

SilkShirt

They actually said nothing of the sort. Here is the actual text:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

Show me where notification says that US citizens should not go or travel to the Cancun region.

There are few, if any, port calls at Cancun. Cozumel is a different story.

The cruise lines keep a close watch on this stuff and will change itineraries if things go beyond some predetermined level.

Case in point, Acapulco has very few port calls anymore....whereas some years ago it was on top of ports in Mexico.

This was the fist thing I read and thought that was the entire alert for Q Roo -

>> The only warning for Quintana Roo in a December statement was about lack of cellular and Internet service in some areas. <<

The reference to a rise in homicides in Q Roo is correct as there have been 3 instances year to date that I know of. All have been gang related and no innocent bystanders were injured that I read of except for a foreigner that was trampled during an evacuation.

There have been more shootings and other lethal violence in our small US city than in all of Q Roo YTD 2017, but these alerts are for our benefit and are good FYI's for land-based and cruise visitors alike...

Edited by blue_water

• 8 months later...
Looks like things have only gotten worse

The cartels are certainly more active but that almost never has anything to do with tourists. Thousands of expats live in Playa and they get along just fine.