Frequent Flyer Miles when booking air through Cruise Line

JayRich65

Last fall we used Princess EZAir for a flight to London from Atlanta and received miles based on miles flown. After our cruise we bought our tickets from Delta for our flight from Dubai to Atlanta (and did not buy Princess EZAir tickets) and received miles based on ticket price. As long as I get some benefit I'm happy.

• 1 year later...
Last fall we used Princess EZAir for a flight to London from Atlanta and received miles based on miles flown. After our cruise we bought our tickets from Delta for our flight from Dubai to Atlanta (and did not buy Princess EZAir tickets) and received miles based on ticket price. As long as I get some benefit I'm happy.

We just booked Princess EZAir to Australia (from STL). I called AA and they did not know if we would get them, but took our FF numbers anyway.

That's a long trip to not get any miles! I wish there was some way to find out.

We just booked Princess EZAir to Australia (from STL). I called AA and they did not know if we would get them, but took our FF numbers anyway.

If you know your fare basis code, you would be able to find out.

Ooops....you booked through the cruiseline. Sorry, you rarely get that information before you fork over your non-refundable cash. Like many other factors in your fare rules.

I have always earned mileage points on UA for tickets booked through the cruise line air program (= "bulk" or "opaque" fare). The airline has no idea how much I paid for my tickets, so they use some formula based upon distance, but the amount awarded is generally less than it would have been if I purchased a ticket directly.

A previous poster whom you quoted, StLouisCruisers, indicated he/she got some point accrual for a situation similar to yours but with DL not AA. Based upon that, I would guess you would earn some points. As you discovered, there is no point in asking AA for an answer. The agents will only know you bought some type of discounted ticket and are unlikely to be familiar with AA's formula for awarding points, if any, to your specific situation.

At this point, since you have already bought your ticket, there is nothing you can do if you are unhappy with the mile point earning situation, except hope for the best. In any event, you will most certainly not be earning the 15,000-20,000 mile points you would have earned in years past, based solely on miles flown. Those days are over, with the advent of revenue-based point earning.

I have always earned mileage points on UA for tickets booked through the cruise line air program (= "bulk" or "opaque" fare). The airline has no idea how much I paid for my tickets.

They may not know what you paid the cruise line for the tickets, but you can bet they know how much the cruise line paid UA for the ticket.

I have always earned mileage points on UA for tickets booked through the cruise line air program (= "bulk" or "opaque" fare). The airline has no idea how much I paid for my tickets, so they use some formula based upon distance, but the amount awarded is generally less than it would have been if I purchased a ticket directly.

I don't think the formula they use is based on distance. It very well may be what the cruise line is paying the airline for the ticket. They are buying in volume under a special contract so it is likely quite a bit cheaper than what you would get from the airline as an individual.

It is also likely they airline went to the cruise line and said, "We will give you an even bigger discount if we don't have provide miles to the traveler."