Good things to say about China Air Business Class (long haul).

Hlitner

Greetings, Sometimes its Ok to post positive things about an airline :). A few weeks ago we flew from JFK to Singapore (via Taipei) on China Air....which was booked though Princess EZ-Air (which allows us to choose our own flights). We chose China Air because their Business Class was about $1300 per person cheaper than Singapore or Cathy Pacific (or the top Middle East airlines).

Our initial flight was non-stop from JFK to Taipei on a 777-300ER...which was nearly 16 hours! Our Business Class cabin had reverse herringbone pattern seats (lay flat) that were very comfortable. Service was truly excellent and food quite good. DW and I thought that long leg was among the best flights we have ever had on any airline :). Considering that China Air is often considered a budget airline....we find this surprising. Consider that they had a small lounge between the two Business Class Departments where one could imbibe with products such as Johnnie Walker Blue! Our connecting flight from Taipei to Singapore was on an A330 where the Business Class seats were quite uncomfortable (we also heard others complain).....but this was a much shorter haul 4 1/2 hour flight.

Would we fly China Air again? Absolutely....especially on the really long haul flights.

Hank

Thanks for the report.

Just to be sure everyone is clear....this was about "China Airlines", which is from Taiwan and is not about "Air China" which is from mainland China. Two distinctly different carriers.

Agree :). A big difference between two airlines with similar names. Since I know you have a lot of interest in airlines here is another tidbit. We had a few hour layover at Taipei and took advantage of one of the China Air Lounges (for Business Class). They have multiple lounges in that airport (their home base) and the lounges are really first rate facilities....with one major exception. We found ourselves in a very large lounge with a typical variety of food (both Western and Chinese) and various drinks. At one point I had thought of taking a shower but was surprised to find that our large lounge (which could easily have served 200 persons) had only a single shower! Argh!

Hank

I’ve yet to book a flight I’m taking next March...Boston to Shanghai then Hong Kong to Boston. I was interested in your comments as a friend suggested Air China, which she liked. (Then read you aren’t talking about Air China). I’ve been poking around Matrix gathering options. Was thinking I’d bite the bullet and try business but wow...those prices! Lowest fares on matrix seem to be on Air Canada via Canada. I’m flying Air Canada to Morocco later this year in premium economy, so at least will try their product.