Tipping in Australia

Host Bonjour

BTW, although "no" may mean no, there were plenty of exceptions noted above - rounding up the bill at a restaurant or for taxi fare, so it's not that obvious for a non-Australian.

"Rounding Up" at a restaurant or in a taxi is purely for the convenience of not getting coins in your change - which just gets heaving in your pocket or purse. It is not considered nor referred to as "tipping".

Also, it is common in NZ (think in Australia too) that a tip jar is placed by a till and customers drop change or notes if they wish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In a number of coffee shops in Sydney we did see tip jars near the cash register for depositing loose change I would assume.

BTW, although "no" may mean no, there were plenty of exceptions noted above - rounding up the bill at a restaurant or for taxi fare, so it's not that obvious for a non-Australian.
"No", in the sense of "tipping is neither necessary nor expected", really does always mean "no".

The fact that there are some situations in which people may sometimes leave a tip doesn't change what PerfectlyPerthApril said: "No means no." It is not expected, and you do not need to. The mere asking of a question about X or Y situation shows that the questioner is already in doubt about the accuracy of that statement.

Also, it is common in NZ (think in Australia too) that a tip jar is placed by a till and customers drop change or notes if they wish

Have you ever asked if the staff receive that money? At one cafe when I asked, was told the money goes towards buying a new coffee machine. At another cafe was told that the staff never get any of the money.

Have you ever asked if the staff receive that money? At one cafe when I asked, was told the money goes towards buying a new coffee machine. At another cafe was told that the staff never get any of the money.

One place differs from another

This thread made me wonder what is appropriate for tour guides. Do you tip the guide or is the price of the tour all that's expected?

The same fact applies to everyone you see working and this is that they are being paid an acceptable wage that is not tip dependent. The idea of not tipping remains an unusual or atypical practice to Americans but we can no more force another country to accept our norms than we could expect that they begin driving on the right hand side of the road.

Wherever you are, be there all the way. The usual routine will be there when you get back. Enjoy the new and different experiences of being in these new and fascinating places; most of what I saw in Aussie & NZ was so unbelievably spectacular had tipping been the practice, I’d likely have embarrassed myself and forgotten to do so every single time.

Yet another very cool reason to love it down there :cool:

I have said it before and I will say it again "The discussion on the rights and wrongs of tipping is one subject on Cruise Critics that will certainly outlast religion"

The same fact applies to everyone you see working and this is that they are being paid an acceptable wage that is not tip dependent. The idea of not tipping remains an unusual or atypical practice to Americans but we can no more force another country to accept our norms than we could expect that they begin driving on the right hand side of the road.

Wherever you are, be there all the way. The usual routine will be there when you get back. Enjoy the new and different experiences of being in these new and fascinating places; most of what I saw in Aussie & NZ was so unbelievably spectacular had tipping been the practice, I’d likely have embarrassed myself and forgotten to do so every single time.

Yet another very cool reason to love it down there :cool:

Pretty special ain’t it.

Wouldn’t live anywhere else for quids.

Don’t tell the Kiwi’s but it’s near on as good as Aus.

Don’t tell the Kiwi’s but it’s near on as good as Aus.

it is not a competition, you know! but ... I know that I would much rather be in a beautiful country without snakes and venomous spiders than in a beautiful country with these creatures and the necessity to look under your toilet seat (pardon my common jargon) every time you need to use WC. :)

it is not a competition, you know! but ... I know that I would much rather be in a beautiful country without snakes and venomous spiders than in a beautiful country with these creatures and the necessity to look under your toilet seat (pardon my common jargon) every time you need to use WC. :)

Wrong, Australian men leave the toilet lid and seat UP after use in order that the next sitter (I hope I spell that right) can see at a glance that no Redbacks are present.

Good old Aussie logic and know how at work again

Wrong, Australian men leave the toilet lid and seat UP after use in order that the next sitter (I hope I spell that right) can see at a glance that no Redbacks are present.

Good old Aussie logic and know how at work again

Too complicated for a Kiwi:evilsmile:;p

Too complicated for a Kiwi:evilsmile:;p

Hmmm toilet seat up to avoid spiders? I better stick with my Kiwiland [emoji13] and we are digressing from the subject at hand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

"Rounding Up" at a restaurant or in a taxi is purely for the convenience of not getting coins in your change - which just gets heaving in your pocket or purse. It is not considered nor referred to as "tipping".

If that were true than the same would be done in other shops as well.

• 1 month later...

Australians and Kiwis are my favorite groups to travel with and are lots of fun, but I don't think I've ever been spared their lecture on America's tipping practice. After hearing "If Americans would just pay everyone a living wage, they wouldn't have to tip," I have no problem with not tipping when I'm in their country.

Australians and Kiwis are my favorite groups to travel with and are lots of fun, but I don't think I've ever been spared their lecture on America's tipping practice. After hearing "If Americans would just pay everyone a living wage, they wouldn't have to tip," I have no problem with not tipping when I'm in their country.
They don't have a problem with you not tipping, either! :D

Got any idea how often we’ve been lectured (even abused) over not tipping?

Hah? Lecturing? More likely we just admit we don’t understand the culture of tipping, we struggle to when/how much/how. It is much easier not feeling obliged to tip, and only tip when you really want to show your appreciation. If tipping is almost compulsory, it should be included in the price, and reflected in staff’s salaries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kind of like the previous question ... I know there will be 'hotel charges' on our Sea Princess cruise because we are from the U.S.

So do we remove the automatic charges or leave them?

I have seen several threads about this and have never gotten a definitive answer. I understand the 'tips' are included in the fare paid by Australians so they pay more for a comparative cabin. So we should leave the Hotel Charge, right? Or wrong?

For those embarking a cruise in Aus, I assume that the daily recommended tip amount for room and dining service is still separate and not in the cruise fare.

For you probably, for Aussies who book in Aus, no included in the fare.

Kind of like the previous question ... I know there will be 'hotel charges' on our Sea Princess cruise because we are from the U.S.

So do we remove the automatic charges or leave them?

I have seen several threads about this and have never gotten a definitive answer. I understand the 'tips' are included in the fare paid by Australians so they pay more for a comparative cabin. So we should leave the Hotel Charge, right? Or wrong?

In all honesty, it is up to you. Personally I’d leave them, now I detest the tipping culture, but am happy to leave them on when they are applicable and tip a few people a bit extra perhaps.

In all honesty, it is up to you. Personally I’d leave them, now I detest the tipping culture, but am happy to leave them on when they are applicable and tip a few people a bit extra perhaps.

In the cruise line most of folks literally relying on them, similarly to wait staff in the US. That’s why I would never remove them, despite not having a tipping culture in NZ, or personally not liking it [emoji56]

In the cruise line most of folks literally relying on them, similarly to wait staff in the US. That’s why I would never remove them, despite not having a tipping culture in NZ, or personally not liking it [emoji56]

In general, I would agree with you but I understand the crew on the Australian based Princess ships are paid a decent wage, unlike the other ships where the crew is paid very poorly.