Help finding cheapest flight?

mrsfoose

Hello!

We will be traveling from Northern Michigan to Orlando for our Carnival Cruise leaving from Port Canaveral on December 15th and returning December 22nd.

When is typically the best time to book to get the cheapest flight?

I already know traveling to Detroit will yield us cheaper flights that from trying to fly from Traverse City or Grand Rapids. But I'm not sure when to start looking.

Also, what should we expect to pay round trip? Best airlines?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A quick look down the board would reaval this large thread exactly on your general questions:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2612630

As to how to look for fares, a little reading here would suggest the commonly used website matrix.ita.com. Note that this doesn't include some of the low cost carriers like Southwest.

A short answer...there is NO MAGIC TIME (or way, for that matter)to book airfares. You need to start looking in advance of purchase, to get an idea what fares are doing. Most carriers release fares 330 days in advance...so you can start researching 30 days prior to that, using similar dates.

You are inside the 330 day window, so you need to get studying. You are also just outside the holiday season, so the fares may not have ramped up yet...but no way to tell without research.

CHEAPEST is not always best

I usually start by going to a 3rd party site like www.expedia.com

I look at all my options.

For cruises, I like to fly in a day early.

For your return flight, look for something departing Orlando (MCO) after 1PM. Or maybe even the next day (up to you)

Many people swear by Southwest Airlines (you can only check their pricing and schedules about 90 days out), but I personally stay away.

When I find something I like (I just checked Expedia and found American R/T for 2 for a little over $1000. $500 per person), I jump on it.. That's not great, but that's not bad either. That's like a week before Christmas.

A couple of things I noticed.

Make sure when you select flights that you stay away from "Basic Economy". This means no seat selection, no carry on's, no upgrades, and very last to board. Looking at pricing, the $ savings were minimal.

When selecting connection cities, try to connect in cities south of the snow belt. Yes, it snows in Atlanta but the risk is lower than connecting in Newark.

Also, when I find a flight and a price I like on Expedia,,, I write down all the information and book my flights directly with the airline such as www.AA.com or www.delta.com or whatever airline you choose. If something goes wrong, the airline will be easier to work with than if you booked through a 3rd party.

Good luck

Many people swear by Southwest Airlines (you can only check their pricing and schedules about 90 days out), but I personally stay away.

It hasn't been 90 days for many years. Right now, I can book over six months out (I can book a flight on Southwest for November 3rd right now, and it's April 25)

It hasn't been 90 days for many years. Right now, I can book over six months out (I can book a flight on Southwest for November 3rd right now, and it's April 25)

Thank you for the correction.

Have anything that can help the OP?

For your return flight, look for something departing Orlando (MCO) after 1PM. Or maybe even the next day (up to you)

When I find something I like (I just checked Expedia and found American R/T for 2 for a little over $1000. $500 per person), I jump on it.. That's not great, but that's not bad either. That's like a week before Christmas.

Make sure when you select flights that you stay away from "Basic Economy". This means no seat selection, no carry on's, no upgrades, and very last to board. Looking at pricing, the $ savings were minimal.

When selecting connection cities, try to connect in cities south of the snow belt. Yes, it snows in Atlanta but the risk is lower than connecting in Newark.

Also, when I find a flight and a price I like on Expedia,,, I write down all the information and book my flights directly with the airline such as www.AA.com or www.delta.com or whatever airline you choose. If something goes wrong, the airline will be easier to work with than if you booked through a 3rd party.

Good luck

In my recent airline investigating/watching/purchasing, I noticed that Expedia doesn't match the price on the airlines. For example, we got a good price on our return with United site directly whereas the same flight was more on Expedia. We usually book via Expedia as we have points, but ended up booking airline directly...at least for this specfic leg. But it's a good search engine as you are saying (and guess better to book directly anyways as you mention)

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck

This is SUPER helpful, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no magic bullet to this. You really just have to do your research and pick what works best for YOU. Check the schedules and understand that the chances of prices going down at this point are slim. Depending on how far from DTW (Detroit) you are I would probably just look at a nonstop from there on Delta. (DTW is a DL hub). If you don't have to connect that is always the best choice (unless there is a MAJOR price diff) in my opinion.

Regarding Southwest (from Detroit to Orlando) they are scheduled to announce their fares and schedule (through the end of the year) on May 31. Southwest is an interesting option since their fare includes 2 pieces of luggage (per person). The downside of Southwest is you would need to make one-stop and this means it takes longer then non-stops such as offered by Delta. But looking at current fares leads me to believe that Southwest might be your best bet (if cost is the major issue). So my suggestion is wait until May 31 and then compare the offerings of Southwest with the other airlines.

Hank

You could also try searching from FNT (Flint Bishop). It would be a one stop...with DL it would be ATL, with AA or UA it would be ORD. Personally, I would drive down the night before the flight for a non stop from DTW and do a night at one of the airport hotels that have weekly parking deals. DL has the most flights, if things go sideways due to weather.

Edited by buggins0402