Norwegian or RCCL Oct 2018

darin2

I’m looking at a Canada/New England cruise out of the New York area in October of this year. I’m looking at Anthem of the Seas (9 days) or the Norwegian Escape (7 days). Both cruises are about the same itinerary, and price for a balcony Both offer some free perks right now such as free specialty dining and vip boarding. I’ve never been on Norwegian before and it’s been 10 years since I’ve been on RCCL. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Anthem sails from Cape Liberty in Bayonne NJ. You would want to fly into Newark. October is high season in NYC. Your precruise hotel options in Newark or at Newark airport will be much more reasonable than Manhattan. Anthem has a similar itinerary, but also gives you a port day in Boston.

Flying into Newark could be your best choice for Escape as well if you want to avoid the high cost of a Manhattan hotel.

When you sail from one of the 3 NY area cruiseports, you have to figure out your hotel and transportation costs and options before you select an airport. Adding on days to sightsee in NYC can be very pricey if you don't do all your research before you make flight decisions that lock you into specific dates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been on both cruise lines, and like them both, although I think I like Norwegian a bit better. In my opinion, the entertainment is a bit better, and the beds are more comfortable. :D If you do choose NCL, try to get a room on the starboard side of the ship, so you can see the Statue of Liberty on your way past. Of course, you can always go up on deck and see it. RCCL sails out of Bayonne, so you can see it, but it's not the same. (My opinion. YMMV.) Whichever ship you choose, be sure to be up on deck when the ship sails under the Verrazano Bridge. It looks for all the world like you are going to scrape, but you won't! Oh, and it's COLD in Canada in mid-April, so bring warm clothing, a hat, and gloves!