freezing breastmilk on cruise?

Marksmom

http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/breastfeeding/storage-and-handling-of-breastmilk/

Fresh breastmilk may be kept in a refrigerator for up to 8 days. Store milk in the back of the refrigerator rather than in the door.

-

Just don't freeze it and you'll be fine for a week. Once you get home, use it immediately or freeze it. If any starts to go metallic or soapy have breast milk jewelry made from it (I make breast milk jewelry and use old milk all the time to make the pieces) or make lotion out of it.

• 4 weeks later...
Breast milk is fine in the fridge for up to 8 days before it needs frozen. Just have her pump and store in 3 oz bags and when she gets home she can freeze it. Easy enough.

the original post is from 2010... :)

When my kid was 9 months old, we went on a cruise without him. We left kiddo at home with grandparents and plenty of frozen milk. I pumped and dumped during my 7 day cruise.

It was still extremely painful to pump at 7 am, go on an excursion and come back at past 2 pm with breasts bursting with milk.

But at least I didn't have to worry about washing all the accessories in hot soapy water every day. I just quickly rinsed them with a bit of soap because I wasn't saving the milk for 7 days and then carrying it back on the plane sans the fridge.

To each his own. I didn't need to save the milk. It wasn't essential to my kid's survival. If it were so essential, I'd rethink going on a cruise at such a crucial time to begin with.

I'm fighting tooth and nail for my right to have my milk frozen.
I am not aware of that right.

For me, it is no different than needing to store insulin or have a special needs diet that must be accommodated

except for the fact that the recipient of the special needs diet is NOT SAILING on the cruise. The cruise line is not obligated to attend to the special dietary needs of a non-passenger, as far as I know. Edited by Itchy&Scratchy