Nassau - Baha Mar - Renting a Room

LynnTH

So, trying to figure out what to do in Nassau. This is a short 3 day cruise over kids school break in October. It will be me, Son 19, Daughter 17 and her friend also 17.

Looking at different options of Day Passes and renting rooms. I see that you can rent a room at Baha Mar for 20,000 Hyatt points. Has anyone done this? Are there any extra fees? What is the resort like - is it all open now or still under construction.

Seems like this would be a good option. (Was also looking at doing Marriott points at Atlantis at 35,000 points plus some fees but can't quite get an answer if there are more fees for more than 2 in a room)

Any info on Baha Mar and renting a room would be great. Thanks.

I've been to Baha Mar several times. I would no longer recommend it. The resort has gotten to the point where it can be overcrowded in the pool/beach areas and not worth the price to rent a room for the day. I cancelled my next 2 stays there. Beautiful, yes, but I can't justify the price anymore.

Atlantis, at least has the water park. If you just want to hang by the pool/beaches - Melia is right next door to Baha Mar and you can just get a day pass for $45.

Granted, if you are just going for the day, it's probably similar crowding to any other place and you may have a great time at Baha Mar anyways.

Thanks for the info. What time of year did you go? Was thinking October might not be bad - but not sure.

With Baha Mar I can get a room totally free with points (maybe have to pay $20 fee)

With Atlantis if I book a room with points I know there is at least $70 in fees (which is fine) but getting conflicting info on whether there are extra charges for 4 people compared to 2 people.

Thanks for the info. What time of year did you go? Was thinking October might not be bad - but not sure.

With Baha Mar I can get a room totally free with points (maybe have to pay $20 fee)

With Atlantis if I book a room with points I know there is at least $70 in fees (which is fine) but getting conflicting info on whether there are extra charges for 4 people compared to 2 people.

I went last year when it was just soft opening and nearly empty. So I was spoiled. After reading Trip Advisor reviews about crowding, we decided to cancel our next 2 stays.

The more I'm thinking about this, honestly, just book Baha Mar. I think you'll have a great time. We LOVED the hotel and if just going for the day, especially for a free room and minimal fees... go for it. The latest TA reviews actually look pretty darn good and no complaints about crowding. We'll be in Nassau next week and staying at Atlantis. I may give Baha Mar another chance again in the future. It's really spectacular.

I very highly doubt you will pay extra fees for 4 instead of 2. How would they even know? Just go up and get the room for yourself and get a couple of key cards or whatever.

The outdoor dining is very good including affordable food trucks (airstreams) they have outside, too. Drinks and food is overall pricey and service is hit or miss, just be prepared for that.

Thanks. I think with Atlantis you have to have wristbands so if there were 4 of us and the room was only good for 2 people than you have to pay extra for them. Not certain this is the case though.

Just basically looking for a nice place to lay on the beach and maybe hit up the pool area.

Oh and our ship does not get in until 10 am so not sure if Atlantis would already be very busy by that point or not .

May have to do more research and possibly call on the fees (if I can get a straight answer ) and then let the kids decide.

Don't think we can go wrong with either one for a day.

Thanks. I think with Atlantis you have to have wristbands so if there were 4 of us and the room was only good for 2 people than you have to pay extra for them. Not certain this is the case though.

Just basically looking for a nice place to lay on the beach and maybe hit up the pool area.

Oh and our ship does not get in until 10 am so not sure if Atlantis would already be very busy by that point or not .

May have to do more research and possibly call on the fees (if I can get a straight answer ) and then let the kids decide.

Don't think we can go wrong with either one for a day.

Unless anything has changed recently, there is definitely no wristbands at Baha Mar. They don't have a water park or attractions like that which would require it.

Definitely do Baha Mar if that's what you are looking to do. You'll love it. The Blue Hole Pool has the cave with the shark/turtle tank and the jumping rocks, etc, which the kids will love. Lots and lots of pools and I'm sure you can find a quiet place if you want.

Booking with points allows for just 2 ppl in a room you would pay add'l fees for 2 more ppl, plus taxes and other fees for the add'l persons. At Atlantis you are also required to pay resort fees for all.

Really? On another forum I am on a family of 4 stayed at Baha Mar on Hyatt Points and only had to pay the $20 in taxes or something like that.

I have read that it is different at Atlantis though.

Thank you! I know people go there to gamble but we aren't gamblers. I'll look for something else to do.

The Melia is right next door, you can get a day pass there for $45. Then walk over to Baha Mar to check it out and walk the public areas if you want. Melia has AMAZING daquiri shack right in front of the building in the parking lot, worth going out just for that!

• 1 year later...

We did not end up going there.  It was a short cruise and the only stop.  So we just walked around town and went shopping.  (Wishing we would have went to the Hyatt instead).