Classic Rome by Private Railcar excusion. Yes or No?

tulok

We have not been to Rome so I would like an excursion that lets us see as much as possible inside the sites. I am wondering if it is worth the $540.00, or just do one of the other excursions as time is so limited.

Sorry. It's called Classical Rome by Private Railcar

Edited by tulok
Wrong name

The “private railcar” is a good way to get to/from Rome from the port. It arrives at a station near the Vatican.

Cannot advise you on the paid excursion as we simply took the railcar (included) and then did our own sightseeing in Rome. We used the metro to get around and bought tickets for the Coliseum on-line to beat the queues.

Last time we were in Rome (disembarked at Civitavecchia) it took 90 mins to drive to the station at Termini. Taking the train from Civitavecchia will reduce this considerably and you won't be sitting in traffic jams - which is no way to see Rome.

That said - I looked at the itinerary for the tour in question and found nothing remarkable in it. Had I written the itin. I would not have put St Peters and the Vatican in the afternoon either - that is when it is most crowded! I would have started with the Vatican AND since this is a private rail transfer made sure that the train in question dropped people at the Vatican station as well.

I think you can do a lot better by just taking the transfer into Rome and then as flossie009 says get metro tickets and do your own thing OR hire a Rome tour guide (there are loads of companies in Rome) to take you around the principal sights once there. I would limit these to: Vatican museum and St Peters (in that order); Forum and Collosseum (which are very close together) and a couple of the squares - Piazza Navona being a "must". This will certainly cost you less than $540 (and is this per person?? That is a LOT! if so).

Rome is a wonderful city - I spent a week there once and barely scratched the surface - and you certainly cannot see it all in one day, so don't try.

Suggest you go to the forum on European ports, find Rome and you will see lots of recommendations for tour guides, companies etc with good comments...

Thank you for all the information. We usually like doing cities on our own, but with so much to see, I wondered if this excursion was better.

I have reserved the train and HOHO, so I will keep that as it seems we can see Rome on our own.

Metro sounds like a better and faster idea.

We did that tour three years ago. Besides the “Private Railway Car” it took us to see The Church of St John in Chains, the Coliseum, the Forum and St. Peter’s Basilica. Did not feel it was worth the cost. We had to wait approx 90 minutes in line outside (100 degree heat) to get into St. Peter’s. The “Private Railway Car” is more like a crowded New York subway car at rush hour. Seating very tight and quite uncomfortable. Fortunately, we’d been to Rome before. Would advise different tour or doing it on your own. Best Wishes...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for all the information. We usually like doing cities on our own, but with so much to see, I wondered if this excursion was better.

I have reserved the train and HOHO, so I will keep that as it seems we can see Rome on our own.

where the shuttle bus drops you off in civitavecchia, walk outside, there are busses that go to Rome and cost about 20,__euro return ticket, it takes about an hour, they leave at about 10.00 o.clock in the morning, Annelies

"The “Private Railway Car” is more like a crowded New York subway car at rush hour. Seating very tight and quite uncomfortable."

smg4412....is this the Regent excursion that simply takes you to Rome and back to the port?

Our excursion included a full day tour of the places I previously mentioned. It was the same train that transported those who signed up for the “Classic Railway Car” as a means to get to Rome and then do it on their own.

The only thing “Classic” about it is if you consider “old” and “uncomfortable” euphemisms for classic. They were bench seats with couples facing each other (no headrest), sharing the same leg space. AC not very cool.. Better to arrange your own transportation. We’re experienced Regent cruisers (eight previous trips) and generally love the Regent experience. This, however, did not come up to our expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I remember from doing research several years ago, there are several HoHo companies in Rome with different itineraries. If aren't committed to this yet, I would advise reading about them carefully on Tripadvisor.com. Many get bad reviews, and in general people aren't enthused about this way of seeing Rome. Perhaps it's the traffic. We got around on public transit and judicious use of cabs, but then we were there for 5 days. Trying to see everything in one day that way will leave you pretty footsore, so maybe the HoHo would work out fine.

I agree that the Vatican should be a morning thing, although seeing the Colosseum in the morning is also great since the crowds are smaller. The Forum is a big undertaking and can easily take an afternoon, especially if you include Capitoline Hill (probably too much for a day trip.)

Depending on your stamina and interests, you might consider doing one or the other--i.e., concentrating on the Ancient Rome on one side of the river with the Colosseum being the crown jewel, or Renaissance and later Rome on the other side, with the Vatican Museum being the centerpiece.

If your itinerary includes Florence and the Uffizi, you might want to consider doing the ancient Rome part, for the contrast.

Rome is a glorious city, to be sure. Tough to choose.

So much information has been gained. I think we will try it on our own. Vatican (Sistine Chapel) and colosseum are the main things we.wanted to see. I will get the tickets online.

Although the responses on the Regent board have been helpful, you may also want to post your question on CC's "Port" board as they have many more posters. Here is a link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Before I posted, I reviewed cc ports, but most posters were from NCL. Since Regents Rome (Civitavecchia) excursions are so extensive, I figured Regent passengers were knowledgeable on the Regent choices. I have been on enough cruises to know that cruise lines use the same tour companies, but offer different choices.

Bless your heart that you were concerned about me getting all the answers I needed.