Confused About Manzanillo

mizkambi

We will be in Manzanillo for our first time this May. Originally I had read the boards and decided that we would exchange some dollars for pecos, take the #1 bus to the beach for a massage, beach walking and beach glass hunting. The information that I understood at that time was that this area was one of the safest in Mexico and that going on our own would be perfectly fine. Now I am reading posts about the US government level 4 warnings and am wondering if we should change our plans. We have been to the other Mexican ports many times on organized tours and on our own with no problems. Just wondering if there have been big changes in the last few months? Hoping someone who lives there or has visited in the last month or so can give some insight. (I know there are the long organized tours to the ruins, etc., just not interested in those activities.) Thanks!

Hi,

You need to read the entire advisory on the USA govt site as it is very specific in the areas that are actually No go in each state mentioned.

I have copied this info about Manzanillo itself from that site:

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees travel along Route 200 from the Jalisco border to Manzanillo, including the Manzanillo airport. There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for stays in Manzanillo from Marina Puerto Santiago to Playa las Brisas.

I think that most cruisers read the headlines but don't go into the govt site to read the entire document.

Here is the whole site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Scroll way down the page to see the specific info about Colima state where Manzanillo is located.

This was a couple of years ago but we took city bus to Miramar beach, felt very safe both on the bus and at the beach (except the bus felt like it was going 100 miles an hour! I just closed my eyes)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We were in Manzanillo on April 30, 2018 on HAL Eurodam.

We took a cab from the pier to Playa Audencia (beach). It is a "certified" beach meaning it meets some kind of standard for cleanliness. The cab was $13 each way (we shared the ride, so $6.50 per couple each way). The taxi driver came back to pick us up at an arranged time.

We rented 4 chairs (even though there were just 2 of us-same price regardless of 2 or 4 chairs) plus a table along with the biggest umbrella I've ever seen for $12 USD. Coronas were $2 each.

It was the day before Mexico's Labor Day so the beach got quite crowded around noon. Do not expect a five star Ritz Carlton type beach, but the water is clear and it was interesting to see all the kids who just loved playing in the water. I'd rate the beach about a 3 or 3.5 but that is compared to gorgeous Hawaii and Caribbean beaches.

There is a small bar near the pier that makes an unbelievable $6 margarita. Near the sailfish statue there are 2 pizza shops. One seems to have more people there-it is cheap but does not look that good. A bar next to is gets recommended but their $9 margarita does not look good. Across the corner is a pizza place that I think was called Pizzakotel-it uses a Napoli type domed oven to make pizza. A couple of doors down is a bar where I had the margarita. The bartender made a fresh mix, poured tequila into a blender with ice, poured the concoction into a glass, then added more tequila. Great, great taste for $6.