Rollator Help!!

chickadee1

Well, I was going to check my Rollator as luggage but I guess from what I have read on this Board that this is not a good idea! I will definitely want it from my Alaska cruise and land tour in good condition!

My question regards the cruise ship. We have a mini-suite which should leave enough room for the Rollator, but the instructions from Princess states item can only be 21" wide and I do not believe it is less than 21" wide! I can walk, just need help on long walks, excursions, etc. Will I have a problem with the Cruiseline when I go to check in? Planned on bringing Bungee cords to secure it to something in our room.

Well, I was going to check my Rollator as luggage but I guess from what I have read on this Board that this is not a good idea! I will definitely want it from my Alaska cruise and land tour in good condition!

My question regards the cruise ship. We have a mini-suite which should leave enough room for the Rollator, but the instructions from Princess states item can only be 21" wide and I do not believe it is less than 21" wide! I can walk, just need help on long walks, excursions, etc. Will I have a problem with the Cruiseline when I go to check in? Planned on bringing Bungee cords to secure it to something in our room.

if they say 21 inches youll have trouble.

Doesn’t it fold up to something about 14 inches wide.

I keep it in my car and just use it as needed so - I just went out and measured and you are all correct - 21" wide and a little less in depth when folded so I should be "legal" and able to have it. I will not be using it on the ship except to go to the excursions so I will be fine. I can walk a little bit but standing for any time is what is difficult! Thank you all so much for your prompt help!!

No Princess will not have a problem. Being that you booked a standard cabin Princess was letting you know the total cabin door threshold clearance is only 21" wide. Therefore the walker has to be less than that if you need to use the walker through the doorway. Your going to have to fold the rollator to get it through the cabin door . The rollator will not fit into the bathroom.

No Princess will not have a problem. Being that you booked a standard cabin Princess was letting you know the total cabin door threshold clearance is only 21" wide. Therefore the walker has to be less than that if you need to use the walker through the doorway. Your going to have to fold the rollator to get it through the cabin door . The rollator will not fit into the bathroom.

I am fortunate that I can walk(do 10,000+ steps in place on Fitbit daily!), just mostly need the Rollator when standing or when I get fatigued. Went to the Mall last week and actually went all through Macy's without the Rollator! The Fitbit has seemed to improved my stamina.

I took my rollator on the Crown Princess in March. It didn't fit thru the cabin door when open so I moved it thru sideways or folded it a bit. No problems.

Yes, do NOT check it w/baggage! I made that mistake going to FLL in March. Somehow American Airlines managed to NOT put it on my simple 2 hr. direct flight! It came on the next flight 2hrs. later (midnight!). Coming home, I checked it at the gate!

BTW, the AA ticket agent at my airport STRONGLY urged me to check the walker w/baggage: "it's company policy" (not so!). On returning, the AA gate agent told me to NEVER check my walker w/baggage; it would surely be damaged or lost. Lesson learned!

I originally planned on sending my walker with our luggage but thanks to all the horror stories I have read, I am going to call back Air Canada and cancel my wheelchair assistance and gate check the walker. I can't afford the time to replace the walker if it is damaged and I don't want to wait at the other end in Vancouver for it to arrive after 2 flights! Thanks for all the advice!! Glad to learn from others' mistakes!

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to baggage check my rollator next month to/from Heathrow & take my chances.

I need wheelchair assistance in the airports -- I just can't walk those LONG distances to/from the gates.

I don't see how I can sit in the wheelchair & push the rollator too. I doubt that I can get a 2nd assistance person.

Any suggestions? Traveling alone gets complicated but I won't stay home!:cool:

I can probably walk the distance with the Rollator through Bradley(Hartford) and Toronto and Vancouver. If not, I can sit down! DH will be with me so that makes it easier, although he does like following behind the wheelchair and not having to worry about where he is going! If we don't have too much carry on, he can push the Rollator. We will have the seat to put items in and on! I never thought about going alone - good luck to you and enjoy your trip to England!

I am not going to worry about the Rollator on the way back and will just use the wheelchair assistance as I can put a claim in if it is damaged and I don't use it much at home. But, I will need it on our Land Cruise in Alaska!

I am not going to worry about the Rollator on the way back and will just use the wheelchair assistance as I can put a claim in if it is damaged and I don't use it much at home.

That's exactly what I've decided. I've just got to get there w/the rollator functional!

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to baggage check my rollator next month to/from Heathrow & take my chances.

I need wheelchair assistance in the airports -- I just can't walk those LONG distances to/from the gates.

I don't see how I can sit in the wheelchair & push the rollator too. I doubt that I can get a 2nd assistance person.

Any suggestions? Traveling alone gets complicated but I won't stay home!:cool:

I've always had good luck having my wheelchair assist person bring the Rollator with me. I've either folded it up and just put it ontop of my feet in the chair or once, he had a hook that he used to attach it to him and pulled it behind him!

That's what we decided - DH will push Rollator with carry ons and gate check it so we have it in Vancouver for cruise. I will go in wheel chair to conserve energy. That way, I will have Rollator while we are waiting for flight to be called and hopefully at stop over in Toronto! Same for the way home from Fairbanks to Minneapolis to home!

Thank you all for getting me straight!!