Gratuity

!h8u2

Can I skip the gratuity placed on my bill and pay in cash to the ships staff? If so how is that done? Also I’ve been told I need a visa for Cuba and the cruise line can provide one for a fee. Is that the best way to go?

Edited by !h8u2
Spelling

What happens when you remove the auto tip will vary by cruise line, but generally the employee will be notified, and any money they receive from you doesn't stay with them, it goes into the pool.

Can't answer about Cuba.

You can...see customer service...but the gratuities placed on your bill go to those who serve you. Your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiters. They take the guesswork out of it for you! There isn't any other staff (unless you're in a suite and have butlers or concierges) that require tipping. Bartenders add their tip to each drink, or to the cost of a package, if you buy a package. No other tips are needed.

If you are removing the auto gratuity so you can tip those who service you, it will not work. They are required to put the tips from those who cancel the autotip into the pot.

If you are doing it as a way to stiff the staff. I have no comment

Ask someone on your cruise line page... the line we use the most, P&O, assures us that every penny given to staff remains with that staff member.

That is a Carnival owned line.

Edited by jocap
clarity

Can I skip the gratuity placed on my bill and pay in cash to the ships staff? If so how is that done? Also I’ve been told I need a visa for Cuba and the cruise line can provide one for a fee. Is that the best way to go?

Can you - probably depending upon the cruise line. Should you - check the probably thousands of posts on CC that say that you should not. We really do not need yet another tipping thread.

DON

What happens when you remove the auto tip will vary by cruise line, but generally the employee will be notified, and any money they receive from you doesn't stay with them, it goes into the pool.

Can't answer about Cuba.

Not all cruise lines pool the tips.