Kahalui, Maui

Noranp

Options for viewing Haleakalā depend on how you want to see it. Many people rent cars and drive it. If that is not something you want to do, there are many tour operators in addition to the ships tour that will do sunrise and sunset tours. If you want to go by day as we did, the only tour I was able to find was through the ship. they use Polynesian Adventure Tours. The tour was fine but unfortunately due to bad weather we really couldn’t see much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the sunrise excursion through the cruise line and it was simply one of the most memorable trips ever. The views are breathtaking. Yes it was cloudy but with peaks of the sun rising here and there and phenomenal colors in the sky. Don't be afraid of the altitude; it's a long serpentine road up. Just layer your clothing accordingly and chew gum or eat ginger for the change in altitude.

Haleakala can be a challenge to many people in drivng there and/or being there. What exactly makes you scared of the altitude?

Only the AMS and I would try to avoid it if I have another excursion as an option

Only the AMS and I would try to avoid it if I have another excursion as an option

Somehow most tourists feel they must visit Haleakala and do the road to Hana as sort of an obligatory thing when visiting Maui. We prefer to think that since the island has so much to offer that visitors should do what is comfortable for them. Vacations are for enjoyment and not dread. Consider spending your time enjoying and touring Upcountry Maui and all it has to offer instead of worrying about AMS, a twisting road and very cold weather.

Having driven the road to Hana, I would not want to drive from Lahaina to Hana unless we were overnight or had a few days to visit. This is my opinion as you spend a lot of time driving over & back which lessens your being able to see other areas closer to Lahaina. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and actually spend 2 days up in Hana .This was several years ago so not sure if the road up has been widened. With the 1 lane bridges every other turn you need to wait on any cars coming down that get there before you do.:)

We were at Haleakala in 09 and it was pretty cool, both literally and figurativly. We went back a couple weeks ago and the weather was great and temps very mild the day we were there. The views were spectacular and the drive up and down is breathtaking (in a good way).

As for the Road to Hana. We didn't do it in 09 but rented a car this time and drove it with another couple. I'm glad we did it. It was very scenic.

BTW, we downloaded a self tour app on our phone for the road to Hana. We liked it so much we downloaded their other apps for the other islands. The app is triggered by your phone gps and ques you with directions, things to see and stories of the islands. I highly recommend it. It's like having a local guy in the back seat telling what to see and do.

Edited by mac66

Having driven the road to Hana, I would not want to drive from Lahaina to Hana unless we were overnight or had a few days to visit. This is my opinion as you spend a lot of time driving over & back which lessens your being able to see other areas closer to Lahaina. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and actually spend 2 days up in Hana .This was several years ago so not sure if the road up has been widened. With the 1 lane bridges every other turn you need to wait on any cars coming down that get there before you do.:)

The road is the same as you experienced. ;)

From Lahaina it’s an even longer drive than those who arrive on ships docked in Kahului. With Lahaina being a tender port & West Maui traffic delays, like you & Silver Sweetheart feel there are other things to experience in Maui without driving the RTH or to Haleakala. Although it’s understandable if someone during a once in a lifetime visit to Maui wants to drive to one of them.

One time I drove from West Maui departing at about 1:30 AM for an amazing crystal clear Haleakala sunrise. I continued around the south end of Maui to return along the RTH & going that direction had no traffic. But that was during a long Maui visit & not during a brief cruise ship visit.

Thanks for the info, but the post header said Kahalui, which is on the other side of the island from Lahaina and it also likely means they are there overnight on the POA.

Have you had altitude sickness before? Although I acclimate within a couple of days, I can have problems around 5,000 feet above sea level. It isn't enough to make me not go, but for me it is just that I get winded easily walking up stairs or any kind of exertion and I will sometimes get killer headaches.

My guess is that if you haven't experienced AMS before, you won't be likely to experience it there either.

Have you had altitude sickness before? Although I acclimate within a couple of days, I can have problems around 5,000 feet above sea level. It isn't enough to make me not go, but for me it is just that I get winded easily walking up stairs or any kind of exertion and I will sometimes get killer headaches.

My guess is that if you haven't experienced AMS before, you won't be likely to experience it there either.

Thank you it’s hard to decide if time in the island is one cruise day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first trip to Maui, we did land in Kahalui so we were roughly 50 miles from Hana and found the drive worth every moment. Only glitch was coming back down 2 days later as two vans were coming up, we got stuck at a bend and couldn't pass so each had to inch our way forward taking turns.:D We visited Charles Lindbergh's grave but had to ask a local where it was at, couldn't locate the little road going in. Well worth the trip.