Why flights are getting more uncomfortable

Z'Loth

From Business Insider:

Why flights are getting more uncomfortable

• Flying in America has become less comfortable over the past few years with fewer frills.
  • That's because airlines have been pressured by the need to lower prices.
  • An MSN poll found 51% of American say the price is their top priority when selecting an airline.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Bar short term dips (post 9/11 or global financial crisis of 07/08) flying has never been cheaper when you account for inflation, yet people still whinge.

There are plenty of ways to make the flying experience better but most people don't want to pay for it.

People also don't understand the fixed cost of putting each plane seat in the air.

(I know pricing dynamics are different, but stick with me here)

I'm amazed by the number of people who are okay paying $20 for a 20 minute cab ride in a crappy, used car with one driver, gas, and mediocre maintenance...but are angry spending $150 for a 120 minute flight in a $70,000,000+ plane with five or six crew onboard (plus everyone and everything else on the ground), a nearly perfect safety record, and a huge amount of fuel (plus ongoing maintenance) needed for each flight.

I'm surprised that it was only 51% that prioritized price first.

I would have put the number closer to 75%, had I been wagering. Then again, maybe they were asking people other than folks here on CC....:D

It all goes back to price, but many infrequent flyers don’t really know what they are buying. The new economy fares are one example but low cost carriers is another. Air Canada is a perfect example. They now fly into many US cities from Toronto and offer low price deals to Europe and sometimes Asia. The inexperienced see Air Canada and think “great, they’re an OK Airlines, but what the fail to read or understand is that “Rouge “ thing after Air Canada for their flight. Lufthansa is starting Eurowings service to the US . It will be interesting to see how UA lists them on the reservations system. If people see Lufthansa Eurowings and believe it’s a regular Lufthansa flight, they’ll be in for a rude awakening on a long haul! Buyer Beware!