Cruising with a Toddler

BKO1992

We leave in 2 weeks on the Carnival Dream. We are traveling with 3 kids, 12, 14, and 20 months. The older two kids will be in their own room. My toddler sleeps in her own bed with white noise and black out curtains. She sleeps great at night in those conditions. I am terrified of no curtains on the cruise and her being able to see her dad and I and how this will affect her sleep. Any suggestions on hanging a sheet or something to make her own little sleep area? Also has anyone cruised on Carnival with a child too young to attend any of Carnival’s kids activities? What did you do with them? How were dinners?? Just want overall opinions on cruising with a toddler. It’s also my older kids and husbands first cruise as well. It will be my 5th!

Edited by BKO1992
More information

If you have a balcony cabin, you and hubby can go there until she's asleep. The room does have black-out curtains, so you can keep out the light...

Some folks will bring magnetic hooks and a shower curtain to separate baby from the rest of the room. The ceiling and walls are metal.

I've never sailed carnival with children, so I can't provide any more information than what is listed on their website for children under 2 and their kids club:

• Sea Days: There are limited times throughout the cruise for ‘Under 2' time. During these times, parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff (fees apply: $6.75 USD per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child) – or - they can stay and use the camp facility at no charge. This time is designated for the use of 'Under 2’s' and their parents only. Check onboard for specific times offered. Hours may vary due to cruise itineraries.
  • Port Days: While in in port, parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff (fees apply: $6.75 USD per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child), however, we do not provide meal times for children Under 2.
  • Evenings: Night Owls - for details and fees, see Night Owls (babysitting). From 10:00pm-1:00am each evening in the camp facility, a ‘slumber party’ type atmosphere, including movie time, toys and room service snacks. During this time, there will be children from other age groups (2-11 years) participating in Night Owls. Cribs are available if needed.

I've sailed on two cruises with 24 month olds, and they've both slept quite well. We brought their bedding from home in carry ons (checked luggage may not make it in time for nap time). You can either request a crib from carnival or if your child would prefer to sleep on the floor with pillows you can make them an area there.

We don't use electronics at dinner, so our kids might get restless and need to ride in the glass elevators in between courses. The dining room staff was usually very good with children and often bring extra food if they see the kids stealing food from adults (on Princess my 3 year old stole a whole lobster tail from his grandma and the staff replaced it without our even asking). If you want the main dining room, I'd request a table for just your family and ask the waiters to bring the food as quickly as possible. A lot of parents prefer the main dining room since they bring everything to you, but I do try to hit the buffet a couple of times since I like to try to get my kids to eat new foods, and there's usually a lot of good ethnic food at the buffet (not sure about on Carnival since it's been almost 10 years since I've sailed with them and I can't remember anything specifically about the food except that we were happy with it).

If you have a balcony cabin, you and hubby can go there until she's asleep. The room does have black-out curtains, so you can keep out the light...

Some folks will bring magnetic hooks and a shower curtain to separate baby from the rest of the room. The ceiling and walls are metal.

We do have a balcony room! I was hoping we would be able to sit out on the balcony while she goes to sleep. Do you know if audio monitors work on the ship. I’ve heard negative and positive but wasn’t sure! I might have to try the magnetic hooks.

I've never sailed carnival with children, so I can't provide any more information than what is listed on their website for children under 2 and their kids club:

• Sea Days: There are limited times throughout the cruise for ‘Under 2' time. During these times, parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff (fees apply: $6.75 USD per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child) – or - they can stay and use the camp facility at no charge. This time is designated for the use of 'Under 2’s' and their parents only. Check onboard for specific times offered. Hours may vary due to cruise itineraries.
  • Port Days: While in in port, parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff (fees apply: $6.75 USD per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child), however, we do not provide meal times for children Under 2.
  • Evenings: Night Owls - for details and fees, see Night Owls (babysitting). From 10:00pm-1:00am each evening in the camp facility, a ‘slumber party’ type atmosphere, including movie time, toys and room service snacks. During this time, there will be children from other age groups (2-11 years) participating in Night Owls. Cribs are available if needed.

I've sailed on two cruises with 24 month olds, and they've both slept quite well. We brought their bedding from home in carry ons (checked luggage may not make it in time for nap time). You can either request a crib from carnival or if your child would prefer to sleep on the floor with pillows you can make them an area there.

We don't use electronics at dinner, so our kids might get restless and need to ride in the glass elevators in between courses. The dining room staff was usually very good with children and often bring extra food if they see the kids stealing food from adults (on Princess my 3 year old stole a whole lobster tail from his grandma and the staff replaced it without our even asking). If you want the main dining room, I'd request a table for just your family and ask the waiters to bring the food as quickly as possible. A lot of parents prefer the main dining room since they bring everything to you, but I do try to hit the buffet a couple of times since I like to try to get my kids to eat new foods, and there's usually a lot of good ethnic food at the buffet (not sure about on Carnival since it's been almost 10 years since I've sailed with them and I can't remember anything specifically about the food except that we were happy with it).

Thank you so much!! She is normally a good eater but as i remember on past cruises the dinners are long and drawn out and I can see her getting restless. Hopefully we got good wait staff that will take care of her and bring her food out quick.

I am following this for tips and feedback! Will be cruising with our (will be) 2 year old. I have many of the same concerns (sleeps fine w white noise, blackout curtains etc). It starts to get me really anxious... then I think, many families have traveled with toddlers on cruises and they've all been just fine!! We plan to spend some time on balcony in the evenings... also we'll likely be "trading off", like one night I'll go see a show/have a drink while hubby is in cabin w her... and vice versa. (On the line we'll be on, there are no childcare services for her age). I am also actually looking forward to a couple of nights of going to bed nice and early (when she does)... We still have pretty early mornings so I'll appreciate the extra zzzzzs!

ETA: Please do come back and let us know how it went, how your little one slept etc!

I am following this for tips and feedback! Will be cruising with our (will be) 2 year old. I have many of the same concerns (sleeps fine w white noise, blackout curtains etc). It starts to get me really anxious... then I think, many families have traveled with toddlers on cruises and they've all been just fine!! We plan to spend some time on balcony in the evenings... also we'll likely be "trading off", like one night I'll go see a show/have a drink while hubby is in cabin w her... and vice versa. (On the line we'll be on, there are no childcare services for her age). I am also actually looking forward to a couple of nights of going to bed nice and early (when she does)... We still have pretty early mornings so I'll appreciate the extra zzzzzs!

ETA: Please do come back and let us know how it went, how your little one slept etc!

That is an awesome idea and we will probably be doing the same. We also have other family going with us and I know they will help out at well. I am going to get the magnetic hooks to create a barrier between her and us so that she can’t see us when she is going down to sleep. I hope that will help her out some. I will let you know!!

We used magnetic hooks and a dark colored fabric shower curtain from wal-mart with our 9 month old with great success! Planning to use again in a few months when he is 18 months old. The visual barrier makes a great difference when the little one isn’t used to being in the same room with anyone at bedtime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used magnetic hooks and a dark colored fabric shower curtain from wal-mart with our 9 month old with great success! Planning to use again in a few months when he is 18 months old. The visual barrier makes a great difference when the little one isn’t used to being in the same room with anyone at bedtime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the hooks and am bringing curtains with some string so basically the same idea. I hope it works with our little like it did yours! Have you heard anything about using monitors with just the audio?? Our older children's room is next door so we though if we could listen to her in the room over it might help as well.

White noise family here... you may have already done this, if not, download a white noise app to your phone or tablet. We did this & no longer take our Dohm with us. Will be cruising with our (then) 18 month old granddaughter in February. I can't wait! Hope y'all have a great cruise.

White noise family here... you may have already done this, if not, download a white noise app to your phone or tablet. We did this & no longer take our Dohm with us. Will be cruising with our (then) 18 month old granddaughter in February. I can't wait! Hope y'all have a great cruise.
Do you recommend a particular app? Otherwise we were just going to pack the Dohm!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app