Some Questions from a Regent Cruiser on Seabourn for the First Time

rarin2go

I have checked the Seabourn website and done a search for comparisons on here but still hope you might be able to shed a little light for me on three areas please:

1. Formal nights - as we are on a 15 night cruise I understand there will be two formal nights - is that right? Is there any way to know in advance which nights they will be? And finally does the formal dress code extend beyond the Restaurant into other dining venues?
  2. Is my usual dark blazer, button-down shirt & tie with grey flannel trousers (sorry but I'm British!) acceptable as formal attire or do I really need to wheel out the old 'soup & fish' (DJ/tuxedo)?
  3. Does the menu in the Restaurant vary for certain special nights eg Captain's welcome/farewell?

Anything else you think might be useful to a first-timer would of course be very welcome too.

Although there is a roll call for the voyage, it is very sparsely populated and we all seem to be Seabourn newbies so thank you for your help.

Your blazer and grey trousers will be fine, You can even eliminate the tie should you wish (it's formal optional) though why not wear one?

Typically the formal nights are the second night out and the second to last night but that can vary. And they usually have a more elaborate menu or a tasting menu on these nights.

Enjoy your cruise.

One additional point that Wripro did not address: the formal attire extends to the Thomas Keller Grill but NOT to other dining venues. And just to clarify, although I think you know anyway: the menu at the Restaurant changes nightly, but, as Wripro said, it tends to be more elaborate on special nights.

One additional point that Wripro did not address: the formal attire extends to the Thomas Keller Grill but NOT to other dining venues. And just to clarify, although I think you know anyway: the menu at the Restaurant changes nightly, but, as Wripro said, it tends to be more elaborate on special nights.

I tend to avoid formal nights by not eating in the restaurant on those nights. I've eaten in the TK Grill several times on formal nights in non-formal attire. Nothing was ever said......

One additional point that Wripro did not address: the formal attire extends to the Thomas Keller Grill but NOT to other dining venues.

I'm not aware of this. Does this only apply on the new ships, as it wasn't mentioned on my cruises on the O class ships. Or is this a new rule? My last cruise was in January this year. Quite disappointing if it is a new thing.

I'm not aware of this. Does this only apply on the new ships, as it wasn't mentioned on my cruises on the O class ships. Or is this a new rule? My last cruise was in January this year. Quite disappointing if it is a new thing.

Isklaar friends who are sailing on Encore in July with us have purposely booked the TK Grill on formal night as he prefers not to wear a jacket. The sailed on Encore last July and it wasn't a problem then.

Julie

We dined in the TK Grill last September on the Encore on a Formal Night. My husband wore his navy blazer, tie, gray dress slacks. I wore a simple black dress with jewelry. Our dinner companions wore similar. We fit right in with other diners that evening in this restaurant.

Thanks Julie, Wire and SLSD for your input.

We last dined in TK Grill on Sojourn on NYE 17 ((ie a Formal night) . Although we chose formal wear that evening because we do enjoy wearing it on longer or Holiday cruises, there were certainly mixed levels of dress in there and everyone had a wonderful time however they were dressed!

Glad to know it isn't a new rule or something introduced only on the new ships.

This post has reminded me that it has been nearly 5 months since I was on SB. Need to get my next one booked!

• 2 weeks later...

Have not seen many men without jackets even on informal nights in either the Restaurant or Keller. My husband went to dinner in the Restaurant without a jacket and felt out of place. Did see one fellow in a short sleeve Hawaiian shirt at the evening show. Very unusual on this transpacific sailing. We have only had 2 formal nights designated for 21days.

Wow, what a difference! Climate related? On our Med cruise last fall I never wore a jacket except on formal night and I never felt out of place. No one wore jackets.