Best Island for a Luau?

IfoundWaldo

I can't decide between the Old Lahaina Luau in Maui or Germaine's Luau or The Royal Hawaiian Luau in Oahu. I would appreciate any insight.

There are several previous luau discussions however the Old Lahaina Luau is regularly rated as the top luau & based on my experiences I would agree.

The entertainment is Hawaiian so if you’re seeking fire sword twirling that’s Samoan & is not performed at OLL.

If your ship is in Lahaina late enough for the OLL, I would highly recommend it & it’s 1.2 miles from the Lahaina Harbor where passengers tender into the small boat harbor.

If you decide it’s your best option due to its popularity they don’t offer discounts & it should be booked in advance.

I am in the process of planning my trip to Hawaii. When I asked my TA where we could get the most authentic Hawaiian luau experience, Old Lahaina Luau was the answer.

So we have not bought our tickets yet, but that is where we will be going. My biggest decision - traditional seating - sitting on cushions at low tables, or not. Will I be able to get up?;p

I am in the process of planning my trip to Hawaii. When I asked my TA where we could get the most authentic Hawaiian luau experience, Old Lahaina Luau was the answer.

So we have not bought our tickets yet, but that is where we will be going. My biggest decision - traditional seating - sitting on cushions at low tables, or not. Will I be able to get up?;p

If you book early enough you should be able to get a really good traditional seat. It is higher, so you will have a great view.

I feel the same as Jagoffee & would get a traditional picnic style table & chairs instead of sitting on pads at a low lying table closer to the stage. As I recall the seating area is terraced for better views than at other luaus on level ground.

Our most recent experience has been at the great Feast at Lele in Lahaina operated by the same company. It’s a Polynesian experience (Samoa, Tahiti, Maori, Hawaiian) in food & entertainment with table service at tables as small as for two people. It’s oceanside & is a more intimate experience that we enjoy for special occasions.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Astro Flyer - Are you recommending the Feast at Lele as the "A" ticket and OLL as a second choice? Getting a table for the size of your group and being oceanside would definitely be pluses. If availability and costs are comparable it seems that Feast at Lele would have the advantage. Thank you for your input as you have been to both. Cherie

Astro Flyer - Are you recommending the Feast at Lele as the "A" ticket and OLL as a second choice? Getting a table for the size of your group and being oceanside would definitely be pluses. If availability and costs are comparable it seems that Feast at Lele would have the advantage. Thank you for your input as you have been to both. Cherie

Aloha Cherie...how about 1A vs. 1B? ;)

Although I’d recommend going to their websites to further research which is your “A” ticket. We always book a month or so in advance & always had a table for two in front of the stage.

Feast at Lele is slightly more expensive but the entire experience was worth it to us. It’s a smaller more intimate oceanfront venue within walking distance of Lahaina Harbor with more upscale food & drinks all while you’re seated enjoying the performances & a beautiful sunset. Courses are served family style based on the number of the people at the table to share. Courses representing those Polynesian cultures are served individually with a performance based on their culture with brief breaks in between them. While tipping is not required, we always tip the waitstaff who deliver our 4 courses (plus dessert) & provide our drinks. The first time I attempted to drink a beer from each of the 4 areas with each course & failed. :')

To me the OLL has the best Hawaiian luau food & entertainment however for us the Feast at Lele is better. It’s a more intimate oceanfront Polynesian inspired experience with great food, drinks & service.

You cannot go wrong with either of them although on second thought, Feast at Lele is an “A” ticket for us and is where we go to celebrate our special occasions. :D

We have gone to the OLL twice now and enjoyed the experience. since we have booked with our roll Call we try and book as a group so we are seated n the front row. & close to the group. The tables seat 8 to 10 I think. The setting is tiered so those sitting behind you still have a wonderful view of the grassy mold stage area.

Aloha and Mahalo Astro Flyer, I think Feast at Lele is the one I will recommend to friends for the reasons you also like it. But, if it is unavailable I will suggest OLL. Thank you again for the details as to your choices. Cherie

Aloha and Mahalo Astro Flyer, I think Feast at Lele is the one I will recommend to friends for the reasons you also like it. But, if it is unavailable I will suggest OLL. Thank you again for the details as to your choices. Cherie

You’re welcome and hopefully your friends will enjoy it; if not you can blame me. ;)

Thanks everyone! I think we will try the OLL Luau. Our ship will be in port from 9am-11pm. This should allow enough time to get back to the ship. We plan on snorkeling Molokini then doing some shopping in Lahaina then going to the Luau.

At first I had my mind set on doing a Luau in Oahu but it was hard to seem to find time to fit one in.

I can't decide between the Old Lahaina Luau in Maui or Germaine's Luau or The Royal Hawaiian Luau in Oahu. I would appreciate any insight.

Germaine's is the lowest rated of the Oahu luaus. The Chief Luau and Paradise Cove are tops for food and the Polynesian Cultural Center has the best show. The Royal Hawaiian isn't what I'd call a luau, it is more akin to the Feast at Lele; an upscale dining experience, but not a luau.

Old Lahaina is considered the best luau on Maui, as I said above; I would not call the Feast at Lele a luau. Go to OLL first and if you get back to Maui do the Feast.

Old Lahaina is considered the best luau on Maui, as I said above; I would not call the Feast at Lele a luau. Go to OLL first and if you get back to Maui do the Feast.

Thanks! This will be our first time in Hawaii, so we want to go to a nice Luau with both a good show a decent food.

• 2 weeks later...