new to cruises, got a few questions!

crackers123

Hi, we're going on our first cruise in August with our 22 month old son (he will be by then). have looked at the pictures and happy with the facilities etc but wondered..

1) Is any internet time included or do you have to pay if you want to use it whilst at sea (can use our phone internet when in dock)

2) How much are we likley to spend on board (bearing in mind we won't be drinking alcohol and are unlikely to do much in the evenings as the little one will be in bed ) ball park figure just trying to get an idea of how much to allocate.

3) If we opt to find our own way round the destinations (ours is a Baltic cruise) does the cruise put on transport to the city centres or do we find our own way there If so, are the Baltic ports near enough to transport?

4) In St Petersburg we will pay for a guided excursion - any suggestions which are best and how much they cost?

5) Do we have to pay for ALL drinks including water?

Any other tips or advice gratefully received :-)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Cunard, I'll give your questions my best shot

1) There is no included internet

2) Can't really help with this one, not much if you stick to water and/or included drinks from the Lido, don't forget about the Daily Service Charge $11.50 each (if you're in Britannia)

3) Shuttles are available if needed, free if you have paid the Cunard fare.

4) We used SPB but we weren't travelling with a child.

5) Iced water is free at all meals with tea/coffee and other soft drinks available in the Lido.

I have had tap water in the Golden Lion for free, but that was at lunch when having food. I expect you will get free water if you ask for it. Bottled water is not free.

In the Lido or Kings Court, you can have tea, coffee, water and fruit juice. They do a very nice cloudy lemonade. All free. Also at night time they also offer hot chocolate and bed time drinks. Ice cream is also included.

Cunard will allow you to go to the kids club with a child under 2 years of age. You cannot have drop off care during the day, but if you stay with your child they will let a child under 2 use their facilities. Our oldest loved this on his first cruise when he was 24 months old (we sailed Princess, in which the drop off kids club starts at the age of 3, and younger children could stay with parental supervision). There is a night nursery available on a first come, first serve basis for children aged 6 months - 23 months.

They'll have cereal, fruit and yoghurt at the buffet. Take some back to the room and sealed cereal boxes can go with you on excursions so you always have food for your little one.

We took our 3 year old to the Baltics, and he had a wonderful time. A review with details on all our excursions is included in my signature line. His favorite stops were Tivoli Gardens, Peterhof, canal cruises, Vasa and the animal exhibits at Skansen. It was a little more expensive, but we booked a private tour for just our family in St. Petersburg. By being able to control the itinerary and take breaks and feed our son whenever he started to get bored, we were able to see all of the major tourist destinations in two days. I'd strongly recommend this with young children since you don't want to be waiting for others.

We were able to easily DIY all of the other ports except for St. Petersburg (we didn't go to Berlin though). My son had such an incredible time he wants to do this cruise again so his little brother can see St. Petersburg and Stockholm (I was pregnant with the little one on this cruise).

It would appear that most of your questions have been answered, but here is one more suggestion. If you take a Cunard sponsored tour the ship will not leave with out you. If you go on your own and have a problem and cannot get back before they sail, they will sail without you.

It would appear that most of your questions have been answered, but here is one more suggestion. If you take a Cunard sponsored tour the ship will not leave with out you. If you go on your own and have a problem and cannot get back before they sail, they will sail without you.

And if you book privately with any established local tour company, they will ensure that you don't miss the ship. It would sink their company for that to happen, so it doesn't. All the cruise lines try to scare people into paying a premium for this alleged unique selling point, which is effectively illusory.

Stuart

How much will you spend?

1. The daily service charge.

2. If you have a 'cheap' fare, then you will pay for shuttle buses.

3. Do you like having a professional photograph as a memory?

4. There's really nothing else you have to spend money on. I have been on cruises where I spent very little more than the service charge. BTW, the cruise lines hate people like me! I have also been on cruises where I had company and did a lot more and spent a lot more. If your budget can stand it, it is certainly more fun if you are not worrying too much about money but I have never felt a lack of enjoyment through not spending it. Evening entertainment is free, so I hope you can manage to enjoy that around the little one's bedtime.

It's also the same for port excursions. I generally budget £20 per day and come home with change! Thereagain, I do quite a bit of research. I recently met up in London with the American couple who I met six years ago while waiting for a public bus in Helsinki. We thoroughly enjoyed our time together that day on bus and tram, and then in Warnemunde on train.