Chartered plane planned?

Wendy, I believe that all of the flights are full in November (according to another poster). Regent always manages to get their passengers home in the class that they were promised. It sounds as if a charter flight is being arranged. Unfortunately, flights may not be announced for another couple of months. It would seem that the TA would be able to get a definitive answer from Regent.

I see. Well next time I plan a trip there I'll have to make sure a Regent ship is going to interfere, ha ha.

I don't see how a charter flight is going to help, since as someone pointed out, there aren't a lot of planes that are configured with a very large business class section.

I see. Well next time I plan a trip there I'll have to make sure a Regent ship is going to interfere, ha ha.

I don't see how a charter flight is going to help, since as someone pointed out, there aren't a lot of planes that are configured with a very large business class section.

I really don't understand how Regent gets their passengers to and from the ships in many places - especially Europe. While it is easy to get a flight from your home airport, once you get to Heathrow, Frankfurt, etc, the fights are on smaller planes and business class isn't that big. I'm not sure why Regent provides business class within Europe (but I'm not complaining.). Assume that since the flights from the U.S. to Europe and then go on to their destination are business class as they are on the same airline.

I found that on many flights within Europe, Business Class means that there is no one assigned in the middle seat. Basically, a 3x3 configuration with the middle seat not sold. Otherwise, nothing special about the seats.

I found that on many flights within Europe, Business Class means that there is no one assigned in the middle seat. Basically, a 3x3 configuration with the middle seat not sold. Otherwise, nothing special about the seats.

You are correct but you do have business class service and a tiny bit more room with the extra seat. My point was that Regent manages to get 490-750 passengers to other continents business class despite what seems to be a lack of seats.

There are wide body planes that can do that flight that are configured in an all Business configuration. Also all business configured narrow bodies that could do that flight with a refuel in Hawaii.

As to a Continent for Tahiti, while the Islands are part of Oceania, Australia is generally considered a Continent and doubt any of the Islands being discussed are part of any Continent..

There are wide body planes that can do that flight that are configured in an all Business configuration. Also all business configured narrow bodies that could do that flight with a refuel in Hawaii.

As to a Continent for Tahiti, while the Islands are part of Oceania, Australia is generally considered a Continent and doubt any of the Islands being discussed are part of any Continent..

Suggest you Google "what continent is Tahiti on". As stated, the "majority of answers" indicated that it is part of Oceania. In any case, it is not part of North America.

I usually save the big yearly Regent catalogs that list all the voyages for each ship for the period of a year or more. It’s a handy reference. I looked up this voyage, and originally business air was included for all suite categories from Tahiti to the US (regular coach air from the US to Hawaii; or you could forgo air altogether and get a $3000 credit).

The last time Regent did their quarterly fare adjustment, they actually lowered the price of the cruise a bit. And added a 3 category upgrade. But dropped the included business air, and made all air coach only (and because of this, reduced the air credit to $2000).

So although you pay less now than if you booked this cruise when it was first offered, you’re getting less value (much less value IMO because I wouldn’t fly coach from Tahiti to the US). Basically a stealth fare increase. I have no problem with fare increases (I wish they wouldn’t do it, but I understand the business reasons why they do), but wish they wouldn’t play these games.

John G - thank you for posting information based on Regent's catalogs (which I have only been saving since last year). This makes it even more important for the TS's travel agent (that seems to not have a contact at Regent) to learn exactly what is going on with that cruise before the penalty phase kicks in.

I muist also say that this is the first time I have heard of not having Business Class Air for an intercontinental flight. Wondering if this is something to look for in other cruises. Hoping to hear a definitive answer to this sooner rather than later.

Suggest you Google "what continent is Tahiti on". As stated, the "majority of answers" indicated that it is part of Oceania. In any case, it is not part of North America.

Oceania itself is not a continent. Geologists consider Australia/Oceania to be one continent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really don't understand how Regent gets their passengers to and from the ships in many places - especially Europe. While it is easy to get a flight from your home airport, once you get to Heathrow, Frankfurt, etc, the fights are on smaller planes and business class isn't that big. I'm not sure why Regent provides business class within Europe (but I'm not complaining.). Assume that since the flights from the U.S. to Europe and then go on to their destination are business class as they are on the same airline.

Firstly, not all passengers on Regent ships sailing in Europe are from the US. Those that are from the US are no doubt flown on various airlines at various times to various European hubs.

As another poster has indicated, aircraft used within Europe have flexibility between Club/Business class and Economy/Coach class.

For example on the A319 & A320 aircraft commonly used by British Airways all seats have the same pitch and width. For Economy/Coach the configuration is 3+3; for Club/Business the centre seat on each side is left vacant to achieve the configuration 2+2.

A moveable divider allows the airline to designate as many or as few Club/Business rows required.

:confused: How could the OP's Travel Agent have booked the Regent cruise if the Travel Agent doesn't have a contact at Regent? :confused:

Thank about it....... any TA can book a Regent cruise - ones with knowledge and a Regent contact or without one. Our TA books hundreds of Regent cruises a year and does have a contact person at Regent. Why are you questioning everything that I post?:(

Regarding the other post that you challenged, the TS lives in the U.S. I does not seem logical to respond as if the TS lived elsewhere. The mention of Europe was simply to explain the difference between flying to Hawaii and flying to Europe from the U.S. as well as intra-European business class flights (that I and another poster already described).

Got2Cruise - it is interesting and news to me that geologists consider Australia and Oceania to be one continent. I had no idea what continent Tahiti was on so I Googled it. There were various answers but the majority state that it was Oceania. Thank you for the information - it is always good to learn something new!

Really makes no difference as to whether or not Tahiti is part of a continent or not regarding Business Class air fare from Regent to or from the United States. Regent will or will not provide included Business Class flight to or from Tahiti depending on the types of flights they choose to include in their cruise fare.

It is interesting that different definitions of islands including Tahiti exists. What is clear is that there are 7 Continents on planet Earth; North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Antarctica, and Australia. Not sure where all of the Islands around Planet Earth belong as part of a Continent or not and based on multiple definitions there might not be a universal agreement.

What is clear is that Business Class Flights on cruises from the United States are provided by Regent as they choose and not by any conflicting external definitions of intercontinental.

Really makes no difference as to whether or not Tahiti is part of a continent or not regarding Business Class air fare from Regent to or from the United States. Regent will or will not provide included Business Class flight to or from Tahiti depending on the types of flights they choose to include in their cruise fare.

By Regent's own legal definition, they only provide Business Class for intercontinental flights so it does matter.

It is interesting that different definitions of islands including Tahiti exists. What is clear is that there are 7 Continents on planet Earth; North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Antarctica, and Australia. Not sure where all of the Islands around Planet Earth belong as part of a Continent or not and based on multiple definitions there might not be a universal agreement.

Agree that it is interesting. However, whatever the definition is, Tahiti is not part of North America which likely makes flights to and from there "intercontinental".

What is clear is that Business Class Flights on cruises from the United States are provided by Regent as they choose and not by any conflicting external definitions of intercontinental.

Yes - Regent provides Business Class fights but not "as they choose". As posted earlier, there is a definition under "Legal: Terms and Conditions" that state when passengers are put in Business Class flights. This is not a random choice.

Responding under each paragraph above.

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, my comment about agreement on 7 Continents was blown when I tried finding a common definition. Seems depending on the source, there can be from 5 to 8 Continents so with that and without a definition of Intercontinental Flights in Regent's T's and C's, the term is ambiguous and anything ambiguous in a contract is construed against the writer.

Then there is the comment that Tahiti is part of Oceania/Australia based on a majority of definitions found. A definition cannot be defined by majority rule just like Continents which have varying definitions.

Also an earlier posts stated that flights to and from Tahiti on the OP's cruise were originally Business Class and were changed recently with a price drop to be coach only. This if true shows that Regent has the ability to define when and where Business Class Flights will be provided.

This will be my final post on this subject since it has been beaten to death and with all of the ambiguity in definitions and contract terms, there probably is no succinct answer.

Well, my comment about agreement on 7 Continents was blown when I tried finding a common definition. Seems depending on the source, there can be from 5 to 8 Continents so with that and without a definition of Intercontinental Flights in Regent's T's and C's, the term is ambiguous and anything ambiguous in a contract is construed against the writer.

Then there is the comment that Tahiti is part of Oceania/Australia based on a majority of definitions found. A definition cannot be defined by majority rule just like Continents which have varying definitions.

Also an earlier posts stated that flights to and from Tahiti on the OP's cruise were originally Business Class and were changed recently with a price drop to be coach only. This if true shows that Regent has the ability to define when and where Business Class Flights will be provided.

This will be my final post on this subject since it has been beaten to death and with all of the ambiguity in definitions and contract terms, there probably is no succinct answer.

Agree that the a definition cannot be defined by majority rule. However, I think that everyone will agree that Tahiti is not part of North America so it is on a different continent.

I will believe that Regent changed from Business Class to not Coach when I hear it from Regent or a TA. This has been a thread with more questions than answers. I do not believe that any of us know the answer so I'll await further information.

Thank about it....... any TA can book a Regent cruise - ones with knowledge and a Regent contact or without one. Our TA books hundreds of Regent cruises a year and does have a contact person at Regent. Why are you questioning everything that I post?:(

Do you have a problem with me posting on CC?

I really do not understand why you feel I question all your posts; that would be a full time job and is simply not true.

However if you find bashing me enjoyable then please go ahead.

Regarding the other post that you challenged, the TS lives in the U.S. I does not seem logical to respond as if the TS lived elsewhere. The mention of Europe was simply to explain the difference between flying to Hawaii and flying to Europe from the U.S. as well as intra-European business class flights (that I and another poster already described).

I did not challenge your post.

You asked the question as to how Regent managed to book all their US passengers onto Business flights after they reached a European Hub. I gave you a simple and hopefully logical answer.

If you don't agree with the answer or just don't like it feel free to ignore it.

Do you have a problem with me posting on CC?

I really do not understand why you feel I question all your posts; that would be a full time job and is simply not true.

However if you find bashing me enjoyable then please go ahead.

I do not to make negative personal comments about posters on CC. I will question their points of view or disagree with opinions. Not sure why you feel that I am bashing you. I did think that questioning me on how a TA could book a cruise without having a Regent contact was strange but not worth arguing over. Why would I have a problem with anyone posting on CC?

I did not challenge your post.

You asked the question as to how Regent managed to book all their US passengers onto Business flights after they reached a European Hub. I gave you a simple and hopefully logical answer.

Perhaps challenge was not the right word. You answered a question that I really wasn't asking another poster - it was a rhetorical question. I understand now that you misunderstood it.

If you don't agree with the answer or just don't like it feel free to ignore it.

Will try harder to ignore posts!

Responding above.

P.S. flossie - you and I have a lot of Regent experience and you have a particular expertise in how things are run in the U.K. In my opinion, we should be working together to assist posters rather than arguing.

Edited by Travelcat2

I really do not understand why you feel I question all your posts; that would be a full time job.

LOL...how true.

P.S. flossie - you and I have a lot of Regent experience and you have a particular expertise in how things are run in the U.K. In my opinion, we should be working together to assist posters rather than arguing.

In the days of the Soviet Union, that was known as the "party line". And woe be unto anyone who might disagree.

And to loop back to "intercontinental", Regent is free to define it ANYWAY IT WISHES. Your definition, my definition or anyone else here's definition means diddly-squat in the final analysis.

I am wondering if anyone has dealt with Regent using a chartered plane to return passengers to the states after the cruise. Apparently there are no business flights available out of Tahiti in November. Please give me your experience. I’m trying to make my own arrangements at this time and struggling.

Thank you

Unfortunately, you were correct. Although I had not heard of this in the past, while on the phone with our TA who books hundreds of Regent cruises every year I asked about this particular sailing. They were well aware of it and said that people who booked late (within the past 2-3 months) will be flying coach back to the U.S. due to lack of seats (note: just because an airline has a few seats available does not help since Regent only contracts with a certain number of seats per flight).

While surprised, I wanted to share this information with you. They also mentioned that the fare was lowered on that cruise due to this issue (I don't know the details of that).

Hope that you find a way to make the cruise - perhaps using one of the airlines that do have a few seats available in business class.

A couple of thoughts.

Years ago (2002) Regent, then Radisson, did charter planes to return guest to the states. I don't remember the name of the charter, but they used a L1011 that was 100% business seats. But, I doubt that Regent is going to use a charter to get you home from Tahiti.

I have flown on ATA many times in coach from PPT-LAX. It is not that bad. the flight is only a little over 6 hours and the service is rather good. Pitch is 33 which is better than most domestic economy.

Don't let the lack of a Business seat flight deter you from Tahiti.

J

I have flown on ATA many times in coach from PPT-LAX. It is not that bad. the flight is only a little over 6 hours and the service is rather good. Pitch is 33 which is better than most domestic economy.

Of course, since ATA stopped operations in 2008, I am assuming you mean Air Tahiti Nui (IATA code TN). And Air Tahiti, a separate and distinct airline, is the "domestic" carrier (and doesn't have a second "A" at the end of its name).

Of course, since ATA stopped operations in 2008, I am assuming you mean Air Tahiti Nui (IATA code TN). And Air Tahiti, a separate and distinct airline, is the "domestic" carrier (and doesn't have a second "A" at the end of its name).

JMARINER was talking about 2002!

Well, I have to say that I am quite disappointed with my first experience with Regent. I have literally been treated better by Carnival Cruise Lines agents. This whole vacation has been a guessing game as to whether they were going to take care of us or not. I made my own arrangements for airfare to Honolulu since they only flew economy. I could have booked my own flight In February when we booked, but was told that they would take care of the flight. It was only until I started asking questions on This forum that I got any answers. I am a younger professional that can’t just take all the time in the world to return to work. My plan was to take a cruise a year with this company because it had such great reviews. Sorely disappointed. They could have been up front especially since I informed them that economy was not acceptable. I hate to be so rigid with this, but my husband and I have health conditions that make it unbearable to even be in a reclining seat for more than 4 hours. Unless Regent can pull a rabbit out of the hat, I’d say they just lost 4 customers. Thank you everyone for your assistance.