Hotel Maya - proximity to beaches/ferry to Catalina Island

rnr4thatsme

We are considering staying at Hotel Maya post cruise for the night. We are hoping to have a relaxing day strolling on the beach or visiting Catalina Island. How good would the Hotel Maya be for this? We don't want to rent a car. Will we be able to walk to the beach and a ferry?

It is not a beach hotel nor is Long Beach really a "beach town" although there are some beaches there.

Catalina is a big trip for just one day(IMO).

There are no ferries or beaches in walking distance.

You can use Google maps to see where all these things are located in relation to any hotel. How are you getting home? Which airport?

There are many other beach towns you could spend the day in other than Long Beach.

I would love a recommendation, riffatsea! We are flying out of LAX the day after our Carnival Cruise. I don't want to spend a lot of time in an uber driving from place to place since we only have the one day - so if you could recommend a nice beach area not too far from either the port or LAX with reasonable (priced similar to the Maya or another Hilton) hotels nearby, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

I am not an LA person but on the LA forum of Trip Advisor this hotel in Manhattan Beach gets suggested many times:

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/

Manhattan Beach is a separate town just maybe 15min (or so ) drive from LAX.

I stopped there for brunch when I was taking a flight from LAX and I was too early.

It is less expensive than staying near the ocean in Santa Monica which is another possibility not far from LAX.

Hotel Maya is right near a Catalina Express pier. CE is between the Maya and the Queen Mary. The Maya is about a flat mile to the Queen. Another option would be to take the free Passport bus to the Aquarium of the Pacific. Could also walk there.

@Sadie,

I have never ever seen a boat leaving from that area to go to Catalina.

They must have a strange schedule!

OK I see they go from downtown Long Beach near the aquarium.

@rrthatsme

Sorry that I gave you wrong info. I had never seen any boat leave from there.

Here is the schedule:

https://www.catalinaexpress.com/schedule-fares.html

• 4 months later...

We have a half day and full day before our cruise in December and are booked there and the distance to Catalina Express is .7 miles - according to Hotel Maya when I called there is actually a walkway so you dont have to worry about traffic. We are going to Catalina for the day. We also are planning an afternoon/evening at the Queen Mary - I already booked dinner reservations - that too is only a .7 mile walk - has side walks -

We are considering staying at Hotel Maya post cruise for the night. We are hoping to have a relaxing day strolling on the beach or visiting Catalina Island. How good would the Hotel Maya be for this? We don't want to rent a car. Will we be able to walk to the beach and a ferry?

I would love a recommendation, riffatsea! We are flying out of LAX the day after our Carnival Cruise. I don't want to spend a lot of time in an uber driving from place to place since we only have the one day - so if you could recommend a nice beach area not too far from either the port or LAX with reasonable (priced similar to the Maya or another Hilton) hotels nearby, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

For beach time near LAX, Manhattan Beach and Marina del Rey (Venice is the beach) are your best bets. Both are quick Uber rides. Neither has hotels on the ocean, but MdR has a nice Marriott and the Jamaica Bay Inn at Mother's Beach inside the marina.