domestic flight from Sydney to AS will we make this ?

Good day,

I am planning our very first visit to Australia and we have some spare time between

2 cruises ( next year both cruises leaving Sydney )we have one week to spend

and we would love to drive from AS to Uluru and visit the red centre of Australia.

Our cruise arrives according files at 6.30 am Overseas PassengerT

(Ovation of the Seas coming from NZ March 2019 )

Checking flights to AS the only one that flies directly is at 9.50 am ( domestic airport )

can we make it(without any stress ) to the airport in time to catch this flight ?

anyone has experience about time ship needs for clearance ?

we know we can take a train from CQ which is the easiest way to get to the airport but I need to figure out how many time I need getting off the ship with my carryon Luggage ( customs …. )

I would like to avoid spending a day at the airport or in Sydney city and we can use this extra day on our trip through the red centre

( we visit Sydney for a week earlier on our trip )

thanks for the help

best regards from Belgium

Edited by fvandewouwer

Good day,

I am planning our very first visit to Australia and we have some spare time between

2 cruises ( next year both cruises leaving Sydney )we have one week to spend

and we would love to drive from AS to Uluru and visit the red centre of Australia.

Our cruise arrives according files at 6.30 am Overseas PassengerT

(Ovation of the Seas coming from NZ March 2019 )

Checking flights to AS the only one that flies directly is at 9.50 am ( domestic airport )

can we make it(without any stress ) to the airport in time to catch this flight ?

anyone has experience about time ship needs for clearance ?

we know we can take a train from CQ which is the easiest way to get to the airport but I need to figure out how many time I need getting off the ship with my carryon Luggage ( customs …. )

I would like to avoid spending a day at the airport or in Sydney city and we can use this extra day on our trip through the red centre

( we visit Sydney for a week earlier on our trip )

thanks for the help

best regards from Belgium

I think you would be taking an unacceptable risk to book that flight at that time to Alice Springs - there is really no margin for error and you will have also had to make all your bookings for Alice Springs etc and stand to perhaps lose money if the flight is not possible or you cannot make it in time

I would strongly suggest you look for a later flight, even if you have to change planes to get there

No doubt some Sydneysiders will be able to be more specific about your timings.

Virgin has a flight leaving Sydney for Alice Springs at 12.40 pm via Adelaide and it adds two hours to the direct flight time - a much better option for you I believe.

Virgin has a flight leaving Sydney for Alice Springs at 12.40 pm via Adelaide and it adds two hours to the direct flight time - a much better option for you I believe.

+ 1

I believe you can also check your luggage directly from the Sydney OPT if you fly Virgin Australia!

Cheers

+ 1

I believe you can also check your luggage directly from the Sydney OPT if you fly Virgin Australia!

Cheers

This is no option arriving AS that late would make us drive in the dark and that would be for us "left" drivers a very bad idea.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

This is no option arriving AS that late would make us drive in the dark and that would be for us "left" drivers a very bad idea.

No one would recommend driving at night in the "dead center"

Why not stay in Alice Springs the night you fly in and head out to the rock the next day?

After all, you did seem keen to go and we are just advising that the flight you want to be on is a very risky option given the time the ship arrives and that particular flight departs.

Just trying to be of help here!

No one would recommend driving at night in the "dead center"

Why not stay in Alice Springs the night you fly in and head out to the rock the next day?

After all, you did seem keen to go and we are just advising that the flight you want to be on is a very risky option given the time the ship arrives and that particular flight departs.

Just trying to be of help here!

And your help is so much appreciated we do stay 2 nights near AS and intend to drive to Uluru all in 7 days stopping at many places. We just wanted to know if anyone could tell us if the ship is arriving at 6.30 when the first people could go off( aprox ) And I do understand there is a risk involved.

Thanks

It is possible to catch a domestic flight around 10. But it's not optimal, especially if there are no later options that day, so you risk losing other bookings and don't have a fallback if you miss the flight. ( you say it's the only direct flight, but then imply you don't want to take any of the non-direct options.)

You _usually_ can get off by around 7:15 a.m, as a walk off. Usually, Customs will be quite quick at that time as they won't have so many people going through with luggage. i.e. I'd expect you can go out around 7:45. Allow 45 min to walk to the quay, buy a ticket, wait for a train, and the journey to the airport and that's about 8:30.

The timing above should be achievable if everything goes smoothly i.e. it doesn't require you to know every step of the way, or run between places to meet it, or be unlikely to be achievable.

Allowing 45 min to boarding, your target is 9:05 a.m. so you can see that does meet the time, and gives you a very little contingency. But not a lot so if there is some greater issue - none of which are likely, but still possible - then you've missed the flight.

Basically, your call. I probably wouldn't take the risk in this scenario, but everyone has their own preferences and tolerances.

It is possible to catch a domestic flight around 10. But it's not optimal, especially if there are no later options that day, so you risk losing other bookings and don't have a fallback if you miss the flight. ( you say it's the only direct flight, but then imply you don't want to take any of the non-direct options.)

You _usually_ can get off by around 7:15 a.m, as a walk off. Usually, Customs will be quite quick at that time as they won't have so many people going through with luggage. i.e. I'd expect you can go out around 7:45. Allow 45 min to walk to the quay, buy a ticket, wait for a train, and the journey to the airport and that's about 8:30.

The timing above should be achievable if everything goes smoothly i.e. it doesn't require you to know every step of the way, or run between places to meet it, or be unlikely to be achievable.

Allowing 45 min to boarding, your target is 9:05 a.m. so you can see that does meet the time, and gives you a very little contingency. But not a lot so if there is some greater issue - none of which are likely, but still possible - then you've missed the flight.

Basically, your call. I probably wouldn't take the risk in this scenario, but everyone has their own preferences and tolerances.

Thank you so much, all clear now

The other flight directly is to Uluru at 10.20 also a close call and yes we know a lot can happen which makes it all very stressful.

Better to fly the morning after we arrive any suggestions where we should stay overnight? Around the airport seems not appealing.

Thanks again

Where more things are under your control, you might choose a location in the city, preferably near the Airport train line.

You don't have to worry about cruise arrival or Customs delays, and just take transport to the airport in the morning. When you leave is up to you so can make the flight easier, and you can choose from either train or taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

We have often got off the ship at CQ and found ourselves waiting around at the airport for our flight. The train is only a couple of hundred metres from the ship. The train goes very frequently so you would only be waiting a few minutes - unless there was a problem. Once at the airport, it would probably take about 30 minutes to get from the train to the gate if you have checked in to your flight before hand or can use a kiosk. I think both Qantas and Virgin have lots of self check in kiosks and bag drops.

Sydney Domestic is not a huge airport - so once you are in the airport the distances are not too far.

If you are flying on a weekend, it won't be very busy with business travellers too.

I would be inclined to risk getting to the flight if:

- you get off the ship asap

- you can self disembark with your luggage

- you research how and where to catch the train and purchase opal cards before your cruise

- you don't get too stressed by the need to change plans (ie fly a longer route or the next day).

- you have checked what you lose if you miss the flight - for example Qantas red-e deals don't allow changes on day of departure but their more expensive flex tickets allow changes up to 30 minutes before the flight scheduled departure time (see below) - which means if you had a flex ticket and thought you were not going to make it you could reschedule. I haven't flown from Sydney to Alice Springs direct but if the next day was booked out there are plenty of other options that the airlines could find for you - often at no extra cost - eg Syd-Mel-AS or Syd-Bris-AS or Syd-Adl-AS.

- you have travel insurance which covers the cost of delays

"Travel Class

Economy

ChangesAt least 30 minutes prior to the schedule departure time

Changes can be made online at qantas.com/yourbooking, otherwise call 13 13 13.

• Exception: For changes to combined Qantas and Jetstar multi-city bookings call 13 13 13.

For changes made over the phone, you must pay the service fee applicable as at the date of the change.

Your original fare may be used as credit towards a new fare of equal or higher value, provided the new fare conditions are met.

At the time of making the change you must pay:

• any fare difference between the fare for your new booking and the original fare.
    • Once your booking is made the current service fee can be viewed anytime at qantas.com/your booking.

Your new booking must be for travel anywhere on the Qantas network within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued.

After the scheduled departure time

Not permitted. Non-refundable."

Edited by lucymorgan

Thank you so much, all clear now

The other flight directly is to Uluru at 10.20 also a close call and yes we know a lot can happen which makes it all very stressful.

Better to fly the morning after we arrive any suggestions where we should stay overnight? Around the airport seems not appealing.

Thanks again

Flying direct to Uluru is the better option. It is a long drive from Alice Springs to Uluru and many car hire companies do not cover you driving between dusk and dawn.

I would take a direct flight to Uluru a day later. I would stay in Sydney, rather than near the airport. I have just stayed in a reasonable priced hotel, De Vere, at Potts Point overnight prior to an overseas flight the following day. You can get a shuttle to the airport from the hotel for $14 per person, or get an Uber like my daughter did. Potts Point has lots of restaurants with good food, from inexpensive to expensive. You feel like you are in Sydney when you stay at Potts Point, rather than near the airport.

Thanks Marion for theadvice and hotel De Vere would never have thought about staying in that areaand it seems lovely. png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAEAAAABAQMAAAAl21bKAAAAA1BMVEUAAACnej3aAAAAAXRSTlMAQObYZgAAAApJREFUCNdjYAAAAAIAAeIhvDMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

We have decided to take theflight the day after our cruise as it would be too much hassle and stressleaving on an early flight after a relaxing cruise.

We have an itinerary tohire a car and drive in 6 days from AS to Uluru or visa versa.

Not sure yet, which routeto take. Hope to find more information on cc.

Have a great day :)

Flying direct to Uluru is the better option. It is a long drive from Alice Springs to Uluru and many car hire companies do not cover you driving between dusk and dawn.

I would take a direct flight to Uluru a day later. I would stay in Sydney, rather than near the airport. I have just stayed in a reasonable priced hotel, De Vere, at Potts Point overnight prior to an overseas flight the following day. You can get a shuttle to the airport from the hotel for $14 per person, or get an Uber like my daughter did. Potts Point has lots of restaurants with good food, from inexpensive to expensive. You feel like you are in Sydney when you stay at Potts Point, rather than near the airport.

Thanks Marion for theadvice and hotel De Vere would never have thought about staying in that areaand it seems lovely. png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAEAAAABAQMAAAAl21bKAAAAA1BMVEUAAACnej3aAAAAAXRSTlMAQObYZgAAAApJREFUCNdjYAAAAAIAAeIhvDMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

We have decided to take theflight the day after our cruise as it would be too much hassle and stressleaving on an early flight after a relaxing cruise.

We have an itinerary tohire a car and drive in 6 days from AS to Uluru or visa versa.

Not sure yet, which routeto take. Hope to find more information on cc.

Have a great day :)

You might like to google Curtin Springs.com, click on station, to give you an idea of the vastness of the land. After staying at Uluru, we stayed, in basic accommodation, at Curtin Springs Sheep Station. We did a most interesting day tour of the Station, in a 4 wheel drive. It was a highlight of our travels around Uluru and Alice Springs.

I'd fly directly to Uluru, landing at Ayres Rock Airport. If you need to stop a day in Sydney make use of it but be sure to google up all flights to Ayers Rock Airport (not Alice or Uluru) out of Sydney on your day of arrival.

Don't miss walking around the base of the Rock, the Valley of the Winds walk at Kata Juta and both sunrise and sunset at the Rock, and at Katu Juta if you have time.

If you find you have a day spare then detour out to Wataka (Kings Canyon) and walk the Rim before heading into Alice Springs to drop off the car. Don't forget to stop at the Mt Connor Lookout to pay homage to the Ice Man having just visited the Red Hot Man.

As suggested the drive back to Alice can be broken at Curtin Springs Camel Station or Erldunda Roadhouse. Both very different, with basic accommodations but interesting in their own way.

Once back in Alice you should have time to explore part of both the East and West MacDonald Ranges. Stunning gorges, water holes for swimming and dreaming scenery and history in both directions.

Edited by wishfulone

again thank you all for all your advice

My husband made following itinerary ( starting from AS )

please take a look at it ( we could do it also reverse starting from Uluru as flights from Sydney are the same )

fly to AS March 22 Friday ( morning flight ) arrive around noon pick up our 4wd and do some groceries drive to Squeakywindmill Boutique Tent B&B ( one night )

March 23 Saturday after breakfast drive to Glen Helen

visit on our way Standley Chasm and Ellery Creek Big Hole spend the night at

Glen Helen Homestead Lodge

March 24 Sunday drive to Kings Canyon using the Mereenie Road stay at Kings Canyon Resort

( could we visit the Ormiston Gorge and Gosse Bluff before we take off to KC ? )

March 25 Monday do the Rim Walk ( 3 hours ) and drive to the Desert Gardens Hotel

March 26 Tuesday Need to see the Sunrise up Uluru and do the Base Walk

( or do the camel Tour with breakfast )

evening field of Light with diner ??

March 27 Wednesday Kata T Sunset , Wapa Gorge / Valley of the Winds

( we can drive back to AS ???? )

March 28 Thursday after breakfast turn in the car and fly back to Sydney from Uluru

need again another hotel near the cruise terminal or ??? ( because we cruise to Singapore on Friday March 29 )

we can do this trip vica versa starting from Uluru/ ending in AS

please take a look at this plan and thank you for your help / comments

again thank you all for all your advice

My husband made following itinerary ( starting from AS )

please take a look at it ( we could do it also reverse starting from Uluru as flights from Sydney are the same )

fly to AS March 22 Friday ( morning flight ) arrive around noon pick up our 4wd and do some groceries drive to Squeakywindmill Boutique Tent B&B ( one night )

Ah groceries, of course that's why you'd prefer to fly into Alice. Don't forget plenty of bottled water.

March 23 Saturday after breakfast drive to Glen Helen

visit on our way Standley Chasm and Ellery Creek Big Hole spend the night at

Glen Helen Homestead Lodge

The West MacDonnells are stunning. Standley Chasm has to be seen at a certain time of day. Skip it if the sun's not going to be in the right place because it will only delay your journey. Include Simpsons Gap and take a refreshing dip at Ellery Creek Big Hole. Whatever you do, don't miss Ormiston Gorge, even if you only have time to climb to the Ghost Gum Lookout. It's one of the most photographed places in Central Australia. Stop at the Mt Sonder Lookout. The short gorge walk at Glen Helen just before sunset is a lovely way to end your day.

March 24 Sunday drive to Kings Canyon using the Mereenie Road stay at Kings Canyon Resort

( could we visit the Ormiston Gorge and Gosse Bluff before we take off to KC ? )

Not sure if they've finished sealing the Mereenie Loop yet but imagine that's why you have the 4WD. You won't need it anywhere else. Hassts Bluff (Gosse) should be doable. Walk to the back of the resort campground for a memorable sunset view. Take camp chairs if you have them and a glass of wine. Cheese and biscuits optional.

March 25 Monday do the Rim Walk ( 3 hours ) and drive to the Desert Gardens Hotel

Start early or you'll run out of time today. Take plenty of bottled water for the Rim Walk. Think they recommend 2 litres per person. After recovery time take a leisurely stroll into the canyon floor. Keep an eye out for Mt Connor on your left just after you join Lasseters Hwy. You should aim to reach Yalara in time to walk to their sunset viewing area but if you're running late stop at Curtin Springs. It's not worth driving at night.

March 26 Tuesday Need to see the Sunrise up Uluru and do the Base Walk

( or do the camel Tour with breakfast )

evening field of Light with diner ??

Sounds like a more relaxing sort of day! It would be possible to add Kata Juta this afternoon returning to Yalara via the Uluru Sunset viewing area. Note that the sunrise and sunset viewing areas at Uluru are in different designated areas. I haven't seen the Field of Light so I can't comment on that.

March 27 Wednesday Kata T Sunset , Wapa Gorge / Valley of the Winds

( we can drive back to AS ???? ) It would be too far if you do the full Valley of the Winds. You can opt to turn back when you reach the top and see the descending staircase but if you fly into Alice you'll be flying out of Uluru anyway!

March 28 Thursday after breakfast turn in the car and fly back to Sydney from Uluru

need again another hotel near the cruise terminal or ??? ( because we cruise to Singapore on Friday March 29 )

we can do this trip vica versa starting from Uluru/ ending in AS

please take a look at this plan and thank you for your help / comments

We have visited this area many times and I hope you love the landscapes as much as we do. It's wonderful that you have allowed more than a couple of days to experience our country's red heart.

Edited by wishfulone

thank you all for your help.

to Wishfulone : I want tosend my special thanks to you for your time to comment our plan.

a little more informationis

we fly from Belgium toSingapore stay a couple of days ( have been there 25 years ago, need to see howit has changed over the years ) and fly to Sydney. ( one overnight )

then we go on a cruise toyour Islands ( Lifou, Fiji, Vanuatu …) after that

we have a week ( to checkout Sidney and the blue Mountains ) before we go on a cruise to NZ. After that

we have another week beforewe cruise back to Singapore ( and check out the GBR and a bit of Northern AUS ).

That week in between wewanted at first to go to Tasmania but then we saw a documentary about your redarea and immediately we switched over to see that particularly part as it wouldbe for us something we have never experienced.

So we started our plan buttime frame cruise entering and leaving did not match the flights to Uluru neitherAS.

There are only 2 direct morningflights ( both around 10 am )

Why we want to start fromAS is not only because of the groceries.

I checked out on a map timedriving time from Uluru to Kings Canyon and driving time from Glen HelenHomestead Lodge to KC. If we want only one night at KC resort and do the rim walk early morning we only havethe option starting from Uluru as doing the Mereenie Road would take us a wholeday of driving ??? or is that a mistake ?

I understand this lovely RedArea of Australia is very familiar to you and we only can visit it once in ourlifetime so we want it to be perfect.

That is why we wanted totake the risk after our NZ cruise trying to fly that same day to Uluru or ASand have an extra day at the scene ….. but we also hate to rush things and yeswe love to have a relaxing day in between.

Flying to Uluru instead ofto AS would be a little bit cheaper but I found it hard to make a gooditinerary seeing as much as we can of the West MacDonnells.

If there are many more choiceswe dit not see I thank you already to help me out.

Wishing you a very lovelyday

From Belgium

Frieda

My husband and I were on a recent cruise that was supposed to arrive in Sydney at 5:00 a.m. We ended up arriving at 8:00 a.m. due to strong ocean currents and we barely had time to make our international flight at Sydney airport that was due to leave at 12:15 p.m. We got to the gate as passengers were boarding and it was a very close call. Just our recent experience.

Barb

My husband and I were on a recent cruise that was supposed to arrive in Sydney at 5:00 a.m. We ended up arriving at 8:00 a.m. due to strong ocean currents and we barely had time to make our international flight at Sydney airport that was due to leave at 12:15 p.m. We got to the gate as passengers were boarding and it was a very close call. Just our recent experience.

Barb

Thanks, we have decided to take the morning after flight.