NYC port

Issyalex

And the new name for Hells Kitchen is Clinton.

The Manhattan cruise terminal location is superb. Within walking distance of so much including Times Square, the theatre district and restaurant row, if you are a good walker Central Park is doable. Really too many attractions to list.

Where would you recommend staying for one night prior to the cruise departing Manhattan terminal. Not familiar with the area and very infrequent visitor to NYC. Looking for easy walking to interesting sights.

Thanks, Mary

We’ve made so many trips to NYC (family and friends there) over the years and there isn’t a bad location. Subways, taxis, Uber are readily available.

I would not stay in Hells Kitchen.

If you are interested in 9/11, lower Manhattan has become a happening place with many new and old attractions including the museum, Oculis, the memorial parks, Eataly. We recently stayed at the Marriott Courtyard across from the memorial, newly refurbished or newly rebuilt.

We like the location of the Hilton on Sixth Avenue, a few blocks south of Central Park. Walk to radio city, Rock Center, St Patricks, Times Square, Fifth Avenue.

Where would you recommend staying for one night prior to the cruise departing Manhattan terminal. Not familiar with the area and very infrequent visitor to NYC. Looking for easy walking to interesting sights.

Thanks, Mary

It really depends on how many days you will be there before departure.

If it is more than one night almost anywhere south of 85th street can work although around 8th avenue and 52nd is centrally located.

I won't answer the question about easy walking since I consider walking from port authority to the MET easy walking.

My bad, should have said between 8th and 5th.

MOMA is on 53rd between 5th and 6th, and top of the rock, etc. is just south.

0728D53E-07A3-4F95-B8C5-D537979B8685_cx0_cy12_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

I used to send folks to the Waldorf Astoria on a regular basis. Their high percentage of former servant rooms kept the costs down for budget seekers.

xWaldorf-NY-696x393.png.pagespeed.ic.mSwatTg_cY.jpg

Too bad that they are closed. The building is going condo. :(:loudcry::mad:

I hope it's ok to ask in here since there are some discussions of where to stay for a hotel. Any recommendations for some place for 3 nights before the cruise? We don't mind using public transit. Everything is so expensive in the central areas. We are hoping for something around $200 to $250/night as we only plan to sleep in the room. Would much prefer using our money for the theater, restaurants in NYC and excursions on the boat.

It depends on when you are planning to stay as hotel room rates vary based on capacity. Apps like Hotwire will give you a good indication of general location and star ratings — you can try that. We stayed at the Marriott Fairfield Inn in the West 40s last December which is the most expensive time right before the holidays and it was basic but clean with a view of the Empire State Building that was definitely in the range you are looking at. Trip advisor is also a good way to check hotels by neighborhood.

I hope it's ok to ask in here since there are some discussions of where to stay for a hotel. Any recommendations for some place for 3 nights before the cruise? We don't mind using public transit. Everything is so expensive in the central areas. We are hoping for something around $200 to $250/night as we only plan to sleep in the room. Would much prefer using our money for the theater, restaurants in NYC and excursions on the boat.

fora wider range of answers check on the East coast departures forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

you can look at trip advisor for reviews

Check out Priceline express deals, there isn’t as much blind bidding nowadays. As previously mentioned, prices and deals depend on what is going on. Weekend nights are cheaper. Various occupancy taxes will add 20% plus to the room rate.

We often use Chase Sapphire Reserve points for Manhattan hotels. Love that credit card.

Over the years we’ve stayed all over, depending on where kids are living. Lower Manhattan is generally less expensive than mid town, we’ve stayed down there a few times. Check out the newly rebuilt Courtyard by Marriott, across from the 911 site. We like Courtyard and Aloft, the new Starwood chain. When we had a kid at Columbia we used Aloft Morningside Heights, uptown near Harlem. But I think uptown is out of the way for sightseeing.

Thanks for the info. Is Manhattan near Hell’s Kitchen? Sorry for the daft question but not stayed in/sailed from NYC before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. It is an easy walk.

And a safe area to walk around in at night.

Lots of good budget hotels in the area. If only to sleep in, for around $150-$200 (not including taxes) per night gets you a room not unlike an inside stateroom on the ship.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

You can find decent budget hotels in the area for around $150-$200 per night not including taxes.

Budget hotels are fine in the area, especially if you are a budget traveler, and if you only intend to sleep the room, and want to save your money for other activities. The room will typically be small, like an inside stateroom, if you don’t mind that. There are lots of cheap , inexpensive ethnic restaurants in the neighborhood if you’re into that. It’s a safe area to walk around even late at night. Or use the excellent and cheap subway system to get around.

Good luck and enjoy NYC. Fun but expensive city. And your cruise too.. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Depending on what you are looking to do, if you want to stretch your $, places in Queens (Long Island City, etc) that aren't too far from a subway stop can be great. We are in NYC 1x/mo or so and grab something cheap - sometimes under $100. Lots of newer build basic places popping up. Works well for midtown-oriented trips but would be less convenient for other areas.

Speaking of stretching $, there is a commuter ferry service with lots of stops now that can take you, for example, from out by Far Rockaway to Manhattan for quite a scenic trip (no narration, great views). If you are doing that long a trip it might be a best fit for cheapskate transit enthusiasts, as you are either taking a long subway ride to complete your trip or doing a second ferry trip to get back. We had a great time!

You can find decent budget hotels in the area for around $150-$200 per night not including taxes.

Budget hotels are fine in the area, especially if you are a budget traveler, and if you only intend to sleep the room, and want to save your money for other activities. The room will typically be small, like an inside stateroom, if you don’t mind that. There are lots of cheap , inexpensive ethnic restaurants in the neighborhood if you’re into that. It’s a safe area to walk around even late at night. Or use the excellent and cheap subway system to get around.

Good luck and enjoy NYC. Fun but expensive city. And your cruise too.. :)

If you are talking about the West Side of Manhattan, then virtually everything that you say is untrue.

That neighborhood is still fairly industrial, i.e. not very safe, particularly at night.

The hotel selections are sparse and expensive.

Walking to the port is inadvisable with luggage as there is a twelve lane highway separating the piers from the rest of Manhattan.

98-large-33ddb3e19a4c133ed93511d5df14bb67.jpg