Low Carb Dieting

jesskuhmarie

I went on my first cruise since doing keto in February. At that point I had been keto for 2 months. Honestly staying keto food wise was totally easy. That said while I don't drink when doing serious keto at home, I do and did drink on cruises and my favorite is also wine. For me I was fine with eating keto and drinking my wine every night of the 12 night cruise. I did gain a few pounds. I forget now how much but less than 5. It came off easily after the cruise. We're cruising again in 3 weeks and I plan to do the same thing again. The key is that when you get home you need to go right back to strict keto and cut out the alcohol again.

Cindy

They do screen for powders and loose tobacco. There was a thread about a couple not allowed to board because their loose tobacco was deemed suspicious.

If you take powdered supplements, keep them in their original packaging.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Now I'm curious what cruise line that was. I've taken numerous supplements i.e, protein powder and drink mix powder in plastic baggies and never got stopped. So perhaps they randomly check for drugs but I doubt it considering how many bags they have to check to get everyone on board.

My point is that It wouldn't stop me from bringing what I want on board simply because there is very remote chance they might find it. Let them. As long as it isn't illegal they can't do anything about it.

2 more days left our our 9 day cruise on Ovation OTS - doubt that I have gained any POF (pounds of fat) as I have had a case of Noro Virus - as some of the has - ugh - really helped with fasting lol :)

Thank you - at least with Noro didn't gain - only 1 POF and gone now! Easy to stay keto/LCHF on Cruise - although we were in Japan and Hong Kong and rice and noodles did 'slip' into my mouth a few times but this WOE has been mine for 27 months now so a few 'cheats' are okay! ON CRUISES ONLY! :D

Home for one week from our 16 day trip to Hong Kong and a 9-day cruise to Southern Japan on Ovation - excellent time!! All unpacked - house back to order and now planning for the two land trips this summer - Cabo San Lucas in September and B2B on Anthem in October and side trip to both sides of Niagra Falls and Smithsonian Museums! Getting us back up to the top of the page! :cool:

Thank you - at least with Noro didn't gain - only 1 POF and gone now! Easy to stay keto/LCHF on Cruise - although we were in Japan and Hong Kong and rice and noodles did 'slip' into my mouth a few times but this WOE has been mine for 27 months now so a few 'cheats' are okay! ON CRUISES ONLY! :D

Home for one week from our 16 day trip to Hong Kong and a 9-day cruise to Southern Japan on Ovation - excellent time!! All unpacked - house back to order and now planning for the two land trips this summer - Cabo San Lucas in September and B2B on Anthem in October and side trip to both sides of Niagra Falls and Smithsonian Museums! Getting us back up to the top of the page! :cool:

Nice Dh has decided he wants to do some land trips in between cruises too. The Smithsonian is on his list. I am certain you will have a wonderful time on your adventures. Happy travels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Hey everyone!

I'm currently trying somewhat of a low carb diet (I just can't seem to give up all the fruit!), but I haven't ate any bread, starches, or added sugars in about 2 weeks. I really want to do a pure ketogenic LCHF diet, but it's hard when my job forces me to eat out daily (if not multiple times a day when I'm out of town!) I've lost 15 pounds since the beginning of February, and hoping to lose another 30 before my cruise in May! I have a total of around 60 more to lose.

I'm also not really exercising at the moment due to my work schedule (I'm a CPA smack in the middle of busy season). I'm trying to add more activity throughout my day and doing sets of 10 squats when I think of it haha! But I plan to definitely get back in the gym regular at the beginning of April when my crazy hours slow down.

First, I'd love to hear from anyone else who has done a low carb diet. In the past I've always just counted calories, have lost up to 40 lbs a few time before, but always gained it back as it seemed like I had to drastically cut calories to the point I was miserable to lose weight or even maintain.

Also, I hope someone has some experience with doing a low carb diet, and then going on a cruise and treating yourself to non diet things :) I have had absolutely no bread or starches for the past two weeks and want to continue this for at least a month, at which point I will probably start allowing myself to have them one day a week. But on the cruise, while I plan to be more sensible that I would have been in the past, I really want to enjoy myself and try all the yummy foods I love (the idea of pizza, blue cantina, and guy's burgers on a ship has me drooling - I've only cruised once before and it was a small Norwegian ship with basically just a buffet and dining room)

So my question is, am I going to feel miserable or have an upset stomach if I eat bread and other carbs daily that week?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to participating here over the next few months.

I did Keto diet from June 2017 - October 2017 faithfully and then went low carb after that. After the first couple of weeks, it was very easy. I found some Facebook groups that shared a lot of low carb recipes. I went off Keto when we went on a cruise in October because I just felt it would be too hard to follow. My husband and I both did it and we did very little exercise. I lost 45 pounds in 6 months and he lost 50 pounds. Good luck!

welcome and congratulations on the lost POF (pounds of fat) - If you are on FaceBook - I do have a group for those of us wanted to get healthy through our WOE (way of eating) - Give me your name if you are interested so I will approve you to the team - the name of the group is LCHF Friends Support Team!

Just requested to join group...name is Barbara Ann. For those with gall bladder issues and fat consumption, try ox bile tablets.

Barbara - don't see the request? Try again! Thanks

Esahuma, I just put in a request too. Doing a little bit of research on Keto and would really like to give it ago. Probably after I get back fr on my cruise since I am leaving on the 30th I if this month. My daughter is getting married next June and I want to loose 30 lbs before then.

Been away from the boards for 2 weeks - friends helped us to celebrate Sam's 70th birthday with a huge Surprise party and 10 more fun-filled days of adventures! I did eat just a little off plan - found out that even though a 'low carb' tortilla may not be bad for most - my allergy to wheat does kick in high gear with just one - so that is off my list - :) Will stick with lettuce wraps or cloud bread :)

Back from 9 day cruise. Afraid to say, good intentions not withstanding, did not follow any program whatsoever 🙄 Up only 5 pounds when I got home probably because of lots of walking. Immediately back to super strict low carb/Keto-ish. Now about 10 days later, cruise weight gone and down 2 pounds from before I left. 🎉

Back from 9 day cruise. Afraid to say, good intentions not withstanding, did not follow any program whatsoever 🙄 Up only 5 pounds when I got home probably because of lots of walking. Immediately back to super strict low carb/Keto-ish. Now about 10 days later, cruise weight gone and down 2 pounds from before I left. 🎉

Yeah for you! I am back on 18 hrs fasting today - will push through to 24 tomorrow - IF(intermittent fasting) and EF (extended fasting) is difficult for me to jump in cold turkey after not following for 2 weeks lol :) :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Just sent request to join your fb group too! My name is Vikki. We cruise this January and I'm already plotting on how to stick to the keto wol. I tend to struggle when away from my regular routine. My husband doesn't try to eat healthy so that makes it even harder. Just started IF along with keto. I have been doing keto off and on for about ten months but just getting more serious the past couple weeks. Thank you to all of you for the inspirations as I read through all the previous posts!

Just sent request to join your fb group too! My name is Vikki. We cruise this January and I'm already plotting on how to stick to the keto wol. I tend to struggle when away from my regular routine. My husband doesn't try to eat healthy so that makes it even harder. Just started IF along with keto. I have been doing keto off and on for about ten months but just getting more serious the past couple weeks. Thank you to all of you for the inspirations as I read through all the previous posts!

Welcome to this forum and also tour fb page! Many of us are able to stay LCHF while we cruise - not 'clean' Keto but pretty much:cool: stay with the program! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
So question, you say no vegetables that grow underground...I know I can do without potatoes and carrots but the idea of giving up onions, garlic, and ginger seems so sad. What are your go to spice mixes?
Not sure who said that but there is no reason to avoid any of those except potatoes. Use carrots and onions in moderation and count them. Nothing wrong with ginger our garlic in reasonable quantities.

So question, you say no vegetables that grow underground...I know I can do without potatoes and carrots but the idea of giving up onions, garlic, and ginger seems so sad. What are your go to spice mixes?

I'm not the one who posted it, but think that was a general rule of thumb. Most root vegetables are high starch/sugar (since the roots often feed the plant). Beets, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, onion, etc will all tend to be higher sugar than "above ground" vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, or leafy greens.

I think for seasoning/spices you would be using such small quantities that the carbs would be negligible. 1TBSP of garlic or ginger would be a lot, while 1TBSP of potato is barely a bite;)

There should be several spice options if you are really concerned though. Pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, mustard seed, celery seed, and leafy spices (cilantro, oregano, parsley, basil, etc) all come to mind as low carb spices.

We eat some onions and lots of garlic!