Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Didnt realize you didnt even need the 7001 for Canada. Have a great cruise!

Canada doesn't require the 7001. However, the info I got from others here said that Celebrity seems to generally want it. Better safe than sorry. Well worth the $30 I paid the vet for the exam and form completion. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. While I have some friend in Seattle that could probably bail me out at the last second, I'd rather keep Scooter with me.

Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean share a form, which makes sense. A copy of the one current as of Spring 2018 can be viewed here.

Note they state: Guests are responsible for obtaining all required documents for the dog to depart the ship in ports of call and at final destination, including USDA certificate from veterinarian.

So, since they specifically referenced the USDA certificate, better to have and not need than to need and not have.

He goes to the groomer on Tuesday, then we leave Thursday. He is shedding so much! I think I've combed an extra Scooter from him in the last couple of weeks!

Vet appointment was this morning. We leave next Thursday for Seattle. I now have the 7001 form and an additional copy of the rabies certificate signed in blue ink.

The vet was funny. She said, "if you are just doing Canada, you don't need the 7001." I replied that I knew that, but the cruise ship expects the 7001 document and better safe than sorry. It just means I don't need to drive it to the capital for a counter signature.

I have the suitcases out and we will be packing this weekend!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Barb, smart thinking. I didn't hear that it wasn't necessary to have 7001 in Canada. I think you're thinking very wisely in having this form for your cruise vacation.

You know that if you have it you'll have more smoother sailing!

Azamara, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean share a form, which makes sense. A copy of the one current as of Spring 2018 can be viewed here.

Note they state: Guests are responsible for obtaining all required documents for the dog to depart the ship in ports of call and at final destination, including USDA certificate from veterinarian.

So, since they specifically referenced the USDA certificate, better to have and not need than to need and not have.

He goes to the groomer on Tuesday, then we leave Thursday. He is shedding so much! I think I've combed an extra Scooter from him in the last couple of weeks!

Barbs, this is the worst first shed for Horton since I first got him in 2012. He sheds twice a year; April and December........I, too, have combed an extra dog off of him daily!!!!

I love the anticipation and getting ready for a cruise, enjoy!

Barb, smart thinking. I didn't hear that it wasn't necessary to have 7001 in Canada. I think you're thinking very wisely in having this form for your cruise vacation.

You know that if you have it you'll have more smoother sailing!

Thanks, Roz.

When I called the USDA vet, they told me Canada just needs the Rabies Cert. As a result, they won't even sign the 7001. My vet said the same. They are the local vet that fills them out for lots of animals that are sent all over. I stumbled into getting the best vet on town a few years ago! She knew off the top of her head requirements for Hawaii and Mexico yesterday. All the military are sent to their practice when they PCS out of the US.

The things we learn!

This thread is simply a wealth of information. Thank you all for sharing your experiences so openly and being so generous with your advice.

My son has recently gotten a psychiatric service dog. He is NOT an emotional support animal as he is being trained for specific tasks and work. He has passed his trainer's preliminary good citizen practice test except that he fusses a bit when my son leaves the room. He takes his job of being with his boy very seriously. (Max, the dog, is still in training for his task work.)

I am not even sure if we will be taking him on a cruise as my son doesn't like to travel. (Part of the purpose of Max is to make the world a bit more accessible to my son and allow him to do things his medical conditions don't allow him to do.) However this thread is giving me a lot more confidence regarding any kind of travel with him so I wanted to say thank you.

This thread is simply a wealth of information. Thank you all for sharing your experiences so openly and being so generous with your advice.

My son has recently gotten a psychiatric service dog. He is NOT an emotional support animal as he is being trained for specific tasks and work. He has passed his trainer's preliminary good citizen practice test except that he fusses a bit when my son leaves the room. He takes his job of being with his boy very seriously. (Max, the dog, is still in training for his task work.)

I am not even sure if we will be taking him on a cruise as my son doesn't like to travel. (Part of the purpose of Max is to make the world a bit more accessible to my son and allow him to do things his medical conditions don't allow him to do.) However this thread is giving me a lot more confidence regarding any kind of travel with him so I wanted to say thank you.

Please do go cruising with Max. One of my most favorite Service Dogs that I had the privilege of meeting onboard a ship was a PTSD Dog who "cleared" every room that his handler entered. I was witness to how this dog worked and it was a miracle how he changed his man's life.

You, Max and your son will make new friends and will have so much fun cruising. We all were a bit scared at first but you will learn to love this way of vacationing with your dog.

This is going to be a very busy weekend, with the Royal Wedding. For all of you attending please let us know how it went.

Did you all hear the story of the man who punched a Hearing Dog, onboard a Frontier Airline? He was upset that the dog was taking up too much room and causing his allergies to act up.

The dog was a Great Dane, the handler was pregnant and her husband defended her and the dog with a push to the ignorant man. The police were called, the handler is going to press charges, as she should. The schmuck hit the dog hard enough to make it yelp! Apparently, it didn't move out of his way fast enough!Disgusting!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

This is going to be a very busy weekend, with the Royal Wedding. For all of you attending please let us know how it went.

Did you all hear the story of the man who punched a Hearing Dog, onboard a Frontier Airline? He was upset that the dog was taking up too much room and causing his allergies to act up.

The dog was a Great Dane, the handler was pregnant and her husband defended her and the dog with a push to the ignorant man. The police were called, the handler is going to press charges, as she should. The schmuck hit the dog hard enough to make it yelp! Apparently, it didn't move out of his way fast enough!Disgusting!

Wow, just wow. He is lucky I wasn't on that plane, I would have punched him right back, Ignorant, sorry excuse for humanity. I am glad the police were called and she is going to press charges.

My understanding is the handler is deaf, and that she was also struck by the man on the Frontier flight.

I hope they convict him of assault. That was totally uncalled for.

We are presently on Celebrity Solstice. I had never noticed the corridor where they put the box. I totally see why! It is definitely a wind tunnel. The ship didn't receive the sod we had requested, but we had practiced with mulch so it is ok. They originally had the box so that only half of it was accessible, and had stuff on top.

There is a second dog on board, a small one, probably a Lapso. It is working naked with no service dog tag that I could see. I know it is legal, but makes people wonder. It is white, and has some bits of fur dyed bluish-purple.

Scooter is making lots of friends. I started telling people a different name so they don't all call him. Particularly a stateroom attendant down the hall. I know they miss theirs.

It is definitely interesting sailing with him!

Hello all! It's been forever since I've checked in but I wanted to remind you all that THIS DOCUMENT listing the service animal entrance requirements for various countries is a thing that exists. I will get around to finishing/updating it soon as I'm about to be on summer break from teaching. We have a new addition to our household: a 5-month old lab-coonhound mix by the name of Camo. While he will never be a service dog, we are hoping to train him as a therapy dog to bring a little puppy love to local hospitals and nursing homes.

Safe travels to all and please give all dogs, service or otherwise, an extra hug and kiss for me!

We are presently on Celebrity Solstice. I had never noticed the corridor where they put the box. I totally see why! It is definitely a wind tunnel. The ship didn't receive the sod we had requested, but we had practiced with mulch so it is ok. They originally had the box so that only half of it was accessible, and had stuff on top.

There is a second dog on board, a small one, probably a Lapso. It is working naked with no service dog tag that I could see. I know it is legal, but makes people wonder. It is white, and has some bits of fur dyed bluish-purple.

Scooter is making lots of friends. I started telling people a different name so they don't all call him. Particularly a stateroom attendant down the hall. I know they miss theirs.

It is definitely interesting sailing with him!

So glad you are having a great time with Scooter!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Hello all! It's been forever since I've checked in but I wanted to remind you all that THIS DOCUMENT listing the service animal entrance requirements for various countries is a thing that exists. I will get around to finishing/updating it soon as I'm about to be on summer break from teaching. We have a new addition to our household: a 5-month old lab-coonhound mix by the name of Camo. While he will never be a service dog, we are hoping to train him as a therapy dog to bring a little puppy love to local hospitals and nursing homes.

Safe travels to all and please give all dogs, service or otherwise, an extra hug and kiss for me!

I had save that document when you first posted it, and glad i did because i have referenced it a few times. Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Welcome back and good luck with Camo.

I look forward to the document that states entrance requirements. Please post it as soon as you can.

I have been following this thread and gaining a lot of knowledge about cruising with a service dog. My daughter will be getting her service dog this November and we are making plans for our next cruise next year. I have read on other threads how great Royal Caribbean and NCL are with individuals that ha e service dogs but I have not seen much feedback for those that have cruised Carnival with their service dog. We usually cruise with Carnival but I want to ensure that our experience for my family and the service dog is a great experience. Can anyone comment on their cruising experience with Csrnival? Thank you for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have been following this thread and gaining a lot of knowledge about cruising with a service dog. My daughter will be getting her service dog this November and we are making plans for our next cruise next year. I have read on other threads how great Royal Caribbean and NCL are with individuals that ha e service dogs but I have not seen much feedback for those that have cruised Carnival with their service dog. We usually cruise with Carnival but I want to ensure that our experience for my family and the service dog is a great experience. Can anyone comment on their cruising experience with Csrnival? Thank you for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Welcome, I did a 15 day Carnival Miracle to Hawaii. Carnival provides a metal pre-made potty-box filled with mulch and put the box right on our veranda. I brought along some artificial turf to cover the mulch and Horton was a happy guy. They provided a plastic bag to put the waste bags in and they change the bag everyday. Remember to bring waste bags with you.

I was very impressed by the pre-made box. The filler was a bit rough on Horton's paws which is why I always bring some rolled up artificial grass to cover whatever the cruise line might provide.

The crew were wonderful and always tried to make us comfortable. They even provided "reserved" signs for our favorite seats in the theatre. We NEVER had to struggle through folks or feet to find our seat. Our Steward always provided extra pool towels for us to cover the couch with, so Horton was always comfortable.

I would definitely recommend Carnival if you're thinking about cruising them. You will need to call their Special Needs Dept. to let them know you're bringing a Service Dog and they will provide you with their paper work to sign. 1-800-227-6482.

Please come back and tell us how your cruise went.

Boy! This retirement thing is not for Sissie's!!!!!!! I'm exhausted, I've never worked so hard!

First, I've been keeping medical appointments, tests that I've been putting off because they didn't fit into my working schedule. Also, been taking care of my car and house, again stuff that was put off and now is getting done.

Check, check, check and check writing. It's expensive not to work. I'm slowly getting into a somewhat good and lasting routine. Not easy to realize that I'm going to be spending this time without my Morey and I need to find a good schedule and plan for a meaningful and fulfilling life. Serious stuff! All good suggestions are welcome.

First, having this remarkable and stable Service Dog in my life has kept my heart and soul together!!!! Thank you Horton Jeffrey for ALWAYS being there for me!

SUGGESTION: I found an amazing vacuum cleaner, Bissell Powerglide Pet......It made my carpets and floors look like new. It was easy to push, not too heavy and really did a good job. My other vacuum was just pushing the hair and dust around and not really picking up the stuff. I emptied the containers 4 times before I was done.

Happy weekend everyone!

Roz,

Hubby has always said he didn't know how we had time to work! I think we were better organized. You did laundry and cleaned the house on Saturday so that you had Sunday open. Now, tomorrow is always another day! I have found out that if I need to get something important done, I have to do it first thing in the morning. Don't come at me in the afternoon with something that "has" to be done. It sends me into a "tail" spin. :hearteyes:

Please do go cruising with Max. One of my most favorite Service Dogs that I had the privilege of meeting onboard a ship was a PTSD Dog who "cleared" every room that his handler entered. I was witness to how this dog worked and it was a miracle how he changed his man's life.

You, Max and your son will make new friends and will have so much fun cruising. We all were a bit scared at first but you will learn to love this way of vacationing with your dog.

Thank you so much. This is quite an adventure and we are learning so much.