Whale Watching in ISP - best other than Glacier Wind?

iujen94

I was all set to book a whale watching trip with Glacier Wind for our stop in ISP on our June 2019 cruise. I emailed them to see when they'd be accepting bookings for next summer, only to find that they are fully booked for our date next year! Soooo....who do you recommend OTHER THAN Glacier Wind? I loved the idea of a small 6-person boat and would like to stick with that if there's another good option, but I'm open to a larger boat if it's a great company and a great experience.

Thanks!

We used Hoonah Adventure last year and loved them!!

Is that the same as Hoonah Travel Adventures? From their website, it looks like their boats are a little bigger. Do you remember about how many people were on your boat?

Thanks!

We are booked this June with Hoonah Whale Tours not to be confused with Hoonah Travel Adventures (who we have a bear search booked with), they are a fairly young couple, they are getting good reviews and also only take out 6 people. :)

Is that the same as Hoonah Travel Adventures? From their website, it looks like their boats are a little bigger. Do you remember about how many people were on your boat?

Thanks!

I think it is the same. There were about 10 people on our tour

I have gone with both Glacier Wind and F.I.S.H.E.S. Both were great.

the good folks at F.I.S.H.E.S retired, last year was their final season, they are the ones who referred me to Hoonah Whale Tours. :)

Just off the phone with Glacier Winds and sadly they're not booking tours for Seabourn guests right now because Seabourn has a history of cancelling the port. I completely understand the business decision to do this - they're a small company and it's a HASSLE to do refunds etc. But am sad for me:loudcry:

Will try Hoonah Whale Tours and see if they're willing to book us. If not, guess I'll look in Juneau. But there are SO MANY other ships with us in Juneau, ugh.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hoonah Whale Tours is the best- we have used them twice and will go back again we are sure. They are a different company than Hoonah Travel Adventures, so make sure you book the right one.

Hoonah Whale Tours is run by a young couple, Jordan and his family have been fishing for many years in Hoonah. His wife is lovely, and they have young children. They recently built a new home in Hoonah.

Best of all- the whale watching was fabulous!!! We saw bubble net feeding multiple times, and have the most fabulous memories and photos. Jordan does a great job getting you to the whales and positioning you so you have great views. The three hour tour is very satisfying and much better than the 2-hour ship tours.

Have emailed and called Hoonah whale tours and no response to our request for a booking. (we emailed 5/24 and called 5/29 and left a voicemail - I think more than a week is sufficient time even for a small and busy company to respond)(n)

So, Glacier Winds won't take us. Hoonah won't respond to us. Anyone else who does whale watching tours in ISP??

We're the only ship in ISP our day, so....I'm perplexed. And I really don't want to do a larger boat tour from our ship.....

Have emailed and called Hoonah whale tours and no response to our request for a booking. (we emailed 5/24 and called 5/29 and left a voicemail - I think more than a week is sufficient time even for a small and busy company to respond)(n)

So, Glacier Winds won't take us. Hoonah won't respond to us. Anyone else who does whale watching tours in ISP??

We're the only ship in ISP our day, so....I'm perplexed. And I really don't want to do a larger boat tour from our ship.....

I can't recommend them YET, as I haven't done the excursion yet, but I had the same issue you did--Glacier Wind is sold out, so I had to search for an alternative. I landed on Icy Strait Whale Adventures, and while the boat is slightly bigger than the six person boat (max capacity is 26 but they cut it off at 24 and reviews make it seem like they never even hit 24) I still think it is better than the 150 passenger cruise line excursion. Also they are local/native owned and run and the woman I communicated with via email was very helpful and prompt.

I can't recommend them YET, as I haven't done the excursion yet, but I had the same issue you did--Glacier Wind is sold out, so I had to search for an alternative. I landed on Icy Strait Whale Adventures, and while the boat is slightly bigger than the six person boat (max capacity is 26 but they cut it off at 24 and reviews make it seem like they never even hit 24) I still think it is better than the 150 passenger cruise line excursion. Also they are local/native owned and run and the woman I communicated with via email was very helpful and prompt.

Their website lists Ship options for tours - and my ship isn't listed:(. I can't see a way to look at their calendar without choosing a ship....

Their website lists Ship options for tours - and my ship isn't listed:(. I can't see a way to look at their calendar without choosing a ship....

I'd just fill out the contact form and inquire. They got RIGHT back to me when I sent a message.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here but here's the page with the contact info. https://icystraitwhaleadventures.com/contact-us/

Hoonah Whale Tours is the best- we have used them twice and will go back again we are sure. They are a different company than Hoonah Travel Adventures, so make sure you book the right one.

Hoonah Whale Tours is run by a young couple, Jordan and his family have been fishing for many years in Hoonah. His wife is lovely, and they have young children. They recently built a new home in Hoonah.

Best of all- the whale watching was fabulous!!! We saw bubble net feeding multiple times, and have the most fabulous memories and photos. Jordan does a great job getting you to the whales and positioning you so you have great views. The three hour tour is very satisfying and much better than the 2-hour ship tours.

I am so happy to hear this. We are booked with Jordan during our June 15 cruise.

I just had contact with the yesterday. I emailed early east coast time and they responded early alaska time.

I think you may have tried to reach them Joardan and Mariya (Hoonah Whale Tours) when they were packing and relocating from Juneau back to Hoonah for the summer which was around May 25 time frame. I don't think they intentionally ignored you. You may have better luck now that they are settled back at Hoonah if you have not already booked with someone else, they also have live availability on their website where you can book online. :)

Edited by NEWLKAT

I think you may have tried to reach them Joardan and Mariya (Hoonah Whale Tours) when they were packing and relocating from Juneau back to Hoonah for the summer which was around May 25 time frame. I don't think they intentionally ignored you. You may have better luck now that they are settled back at Hoonah if you have not already booked with someone else, they also have live availability on their website where you can book online. :)

OK, I'll try again. But as I said, I left a voicemail on May 29, so....

They do not have an online calendar for September, which is when I'll be there.

OK, I'll try again. But as I said, I left a voicemail on May 29, so....

They do not have an online calendar for September, which is when I'll be there.

We were originally booked with them for this August. Due to Jordan having another job at the school we had to go with someone else. Maybe that's why there isn't a calendar for September.

Maybe that's why there isn't a calendar for September.

The website says to "call for info" not that they don't offer tours that month at all. So if he works another job, maybe it's just super date dependent. I sent another email. We'll see....If I don't hear back in a couple days this time, I'll contact Icy Strait Whale Adventures.

Thanks for the input & options!

Just heard back from Hoonah Whale Tours - their last day this season is August 15 :-( They recommended Glacier Wind and when I explained they're not accepting reservations from Seabourn passengers right now, recommended Hoonah Travel Adventures or Icy Strait Whale Watch - though she was careful to note their boats are larger (which I thought was great customer service).