Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

Enjoying Sirena.

Friendly group of PAXs. Saw a couple of older out of shape guys by the sun deck pool wearing speedos. Noticed the gym is underutilized. So far, 3 days at sea, There was a Zumba workout yesterday morning. About a dozen PAXs attended Zumba.

Myself and two other PAXs in the gym past three days. One, a fit looking “30 something” woman on the treadmill. and a 40is guy using using free weights.

We found doing laps for about 30 minutes or so on the deck 5 promenade, usually the side with full shade, worked best for us to burn those calories. Most folks use the lap track on deck 10 above the pool. However, we try to avoid the hot sun whenever possible, it's a skin cancer thing, so deck 5 worked best for us. Plus we get to keep an eye on the ocean and weather to see what we can see while we're walking.

These constant and endless threads on dress codes are ridiculous. Do other lines on CC engage in this? If you can pay Oceania's prices I would hope you would have some sense of what is acceptable and what is Country Club casual. How many of you just got off the bus from pumpkinville?

These constant and endless threads on dress codes are ridiculous. Do other lines on CC engage in this?

Having been active on the HAL, Celebrity and Azamara boards, I can assure you that these same topics get the same reaction there as here. Mention Dress Code or Food and you are guaranteed some passionate debate. Let’s face it we all have opinions on these topics, but not all of us choose to air them.

I reckon if you removed all these threads from CC the boards would be about half their current size. But that’s only my opinion ;)

I'm not concerned at all. I find it humorous how upset some people become when they have to follow rules that they don't like.

And I find it somewhat humorous and also somewhat sad that some people try to impose a dress standard that fits their "image" of cruising but is not supported by the actual published dress standards.

The standards are pretty clear. Violators are actually quite rare. There is nothing to prevent you from wearing a suit and tie (or a tux:)) if you wish. If the guy at the next table is in dockers and a polo shirt how does that hurt you? If you really want everyone dressed up sail on Cunard.

Delee78;

On our first Oceania cruise several years ago, we had never heard of CC. After we booked our cruise, via our TA, we started to receive a flood of O brochures and still do 😆! We simply used the models in those brochures ( the pictures Lyn was discussing) to gauge what to wear. Pretty simple actually. In following those model’s dress we have never felt under or over dressed, never. My wife doesn’t do the 6 inch heels or the pearls, but to dinner she always were either a dress, nice skirt and blouse, etc. in the same mode as the female model. I still often wear a sports jacket, not because it’s needed, but some times the Restaurants can be very cool. If it’s to warm, I slip it off.

After our first cruise, we had first hand anecdotal knowledge of at least one cruise. Following the general example, set by the models in the brochures should make the process simple, or at least so it seems. Isn’t that the reason Oceania pays for the models to dress as they do and sends hundreds of brochures to your house to look at?

After your first cruise you’ll have your own anecdotal experience. Have fun cruising!

After your first cruise you’ll have your own anecdotal experience. Have fun cruising!

Looks like she has been on a couple of O cruises so not sure what all the hub bub is about sandals came from :confused:

All I can say is after several cruises on Oceania I wear dress sandals & many others ladies do

no one has said we have to go put on closed toed shoes

It has been discussed many times here & probably will be discussed many more time

The no sandals are referring to beach sandals flipflop types ..hopefully Oceania will spell that out more clearly in future

I still think they should post photos of what is & is not acceptable

as they say a picture is worth a thousand words

JMO

I agree with you Lyn. Many, many, many women wear sandals such as your "A" sandal. I too wear an open toed sandal type shoe with sparklie and a heel. I have even asked the general manager about the appropriateness of this sandal and he told me they were perfectly fine. He said the no sandals referred to flip flops or other beach type shoe. O needs to redefine this clause.

Delee78;

On our first Oceania cruise several years ago, we had never heard of CC. After we booked our cruise, via our TA, we started to receive a flood of O brochures and still do 😆! We simply used the models in those brochures ( the pictures Lyn was discussing) to gauge what to wear. Pretty simple actually. In following those model’s dress we have never felt under or over dressed, never. My wife doesn’t do the 6 inch heels or the pearls, but to dinner she always were either a dress, nice skirt and blouse, etc. in the same mode as the female model. I still often wear a sports jacket, not because it’s needed, but some times the Restaurants can be very cool. If it’s to warm, I slip it off.

After our first cruise, we had first hand anecdotal knowledge of at least one cruise. Following the general example, set by the models in the brochures should make the process simple, or at least so it seems. Isn’t that the reason Oceania pays for the models to dress as they do and sends hundreds of brochures to your house to look at?

I was onboard when these models were being photographed. They certainly did not dress like that after doing the shots. Photographers were in jeans after 6pm and yes in the dining room. The "actors " we're much less casual too.

He said the no sandals referred to flip flops or other beach type shoe. O needs to redefine this clause.

I agree

as I suggested earlier photos would be helpful to help new cruisers to Oceania :halo:

Enjoying Sirena.

Friendly group of PAXs. Saw a couple of older out of shape guys by the sun deck pool wearing speedos. Noticed the gym is underutilized. So far, 3 days at sea, There was a Zumba workout yesterday morning. About a dozen PAXs attended Zumba.

Myself and two other PAXs in the gym past three days. One, a fit looking “30 something” woman on the treadmill. and a 40is guy using using free weights.

I stopped wearing spandex type cloth years ago. I never knew fabric could scream or attempt suicide! That being said, I'm about 215-220LB at 5'-9". I stick more to cargo pants & such when venturing ashore & have board shorts when swimming. I'm glad you're enjoying your trip! We lost our one day Cuba stop & are substituting St. Barts. I just hope the Irma mess will be pretty much cleaned up by next Jan.

And at the end of the day, so what?

Do you really think there will be a huge wave of people wearing thongs and pasties to the dining room? Are you concerned that torn jeans will be everywhere on Oceania?

Or do you think that the target demographic, pricing structure, and typical cruise duration on Oceania will self-select for a certain type of passenger who will largely adhere to basic definitions of the current Oceania experience?

So there's a guy at some table wearing a baseball cap.

So there's some woman wearing torn jeans.

If it bothers one so much that they obsess over it, the problem is less the person with the cap or the jeans. Get therapy.

Many of the self-appointed dress czars have shown repeatedly that substance and style are often incongruent. Clearly there are people here who may dress "appropriately" but who are really quite ugly on the inside.

I'll take the guy with the baseball cap who can tell a funny story, is kind to fellow passengers and crew, and is personable over a well-dressed, self-righteous busybody who actually sits in the restaurant making notes of what others are wearing.

You're missing the point! What always seems to happen on the lines we've cruised is the dress code phrase "we request"... A lot of pax start taking that as "we don't enforce"..I never saw so many disgusting looking pax as on the first week of a B2B on Regal Princess in Feb. 2016. It was super bowl week & a lot of Carolina Panther fans were on board. Perhaps you're fine with skanky shorts everywhere along with "wife beater" t shirts. Sorry but I'm not! After that first week the "Trailer trash jamboree" departed & the pax looked like one would expect..Smart casual & reasonable attempts on formal nights. Hey, call me a snob, but when I plunk down the $$ it costs to be on Oceania, I don't want it to ever look like that Princess cruise. This past Jan. pax were very well dressed on Riviera: slacks & collared shirts & frequently sport coat(with or without tie) in the specialty rest. Only 2 pax stood out: A rapper type kid in jeans & some guy with at least 10 different hats that he wore in the specialty rest.

You're missing the point! What always seems to happen on the lines we've cruised is the dress code phrase "we request"... A lot of pax start taking that as "we don't enforce"..I never saw so many disgusting looking pax as on the first week of a B2B on Regal Princess in Feb. 2016. It was super bowl week & a lot of Carolina Panther fans were on board. Perhaps you're fine with skanky shorts everywhere along with "wife beater" t shirts. Sorry but I'm not! After that first week the "Trailer trash jamboree" departed & the pax looked like one would expect..Smart casual & reasonable attempts on formal nights. Hey, call me a snob, but when I plunk down the $$ it costs to be on Oceania, I don't want it to ever look like that Princess cruise. This past Jan. pax were very well dressed on Riviera: slacks & collared shirts & frequently sport coat(with or without tie) in the specialty rest. Only 2 pax stood out: A rapper type kid in jeans & some guy with at least 10 different hats that he wore in the specialty rest.

I'm not missing any point.

Oceania's marketing and branding, pricing, and itineraries self-select for a certain demographic. People looking for a more casual environment are, in my opinion, likely to choose cheaper and shorter cruises that target those passengers.

My point remains - so what if you encounter some very casually dressed passengers?

Move on with your life. Enjoy your cruise.

If you care that much about the "rapper" (we get what you mean by the way), then you are the one with the problem.

If one demands that 100% of fellow passengers dress and behave exactly to one's specifications, then one should charter a private boat.

Otherwise, deal with the realities of life without passing nasty judgment towards others.

I've also made the point here that while some may have the "right look" on the outside, they are rather ugly on the inside. That is on full display here on this thread.

These constant and endless threads on dress codes are ridiculous. Do other lines on CC engage in this? If you can pay Oceania's prices I would hope you would have some sense of what is acceptable and what is Country Club casual. How many of you just got off the bus from pumpkinville?

Most all the sites have 3 big things: Dress codes/tipping/food. Unfortunately from what I've seen on some the cruise lines is a LOT of people hopped off the bus from Pumpkinville. Admittedly a lot skipped by Oceania. I hope it stays that way.

So - here's a new twist on this discussion.

We are currently on Insignia and in port at Pago Pago, Samoa.

Having done some research, I decided to purchase a "formal" navy blue men's "ie faitaga" (dress lava lava wrap).

I'll test the dress code this evening in Terrace and may push the envelope at Polo (along with a dress shirt) later this week. [emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

So - here's a new twist on this discussion.

We are currently on Insignia and in port at Pago Pago, Samoa.

Having done some research, I decided to purchase a "formal" navy blue men's "ie faitaga" (dress lava lava wrap).

I'll test the dress code this evening in Terrace and may push the envelope at Polo (along with a dress shirt) later this week. [emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

Post a picture!

Please don't dominate the rap jack, if you've got nothing new to say.

The issue for me is that Oceania states "resort or country club casual,", but then proceeds to only define those by what NOT to wear, vs. what they actually ARE. A simple Google search does not really clarify either. We are going with polo shirts, no jacket. That will have to be good enough.

• Like 1

The issue for me is that Oceania states "resort or country club casual,", but then proceeds to only define those by what NOT to wear, vs. what they actually ARE. A simple Google search does not really clarify either. We are going with polo shirts, no jacket. That will have to be good enough.

On Sirena now.

First night wore a sports coat to Tuscan Steakhouse.

After that, wore just a collared shirt or Guayabera, dress pants, dress shoes or croc leather loafers to GDR, and Red Ginger.

From what I observed, majority of gents I saw were not wearing sport coats or suits. Did not see any gents in Tux’s.

You will be fine.

Edited by Kingofcool1947