Storing luggage in New York

babs135

Anyone used this facility? On disembarking the QM2 we will be flying down to Fort Lauderdale to pick up the Regal Princess for a 7 day cruise before flying back to New York and after 4 nights hotel stay will be boarding the QM2 for the journey home.

Not sure yet which airline we will be using but if I can avoid excess baggage costs and schlepping more cases than we will need it seems an option.

Haven't done any homework on the Regal Princess, but if we don't need to dress up in formal wear it makes sense to 'leave them behind in New York.

Thanks

Your hotel in NYC will keep your bags, but you’d have the hassle of getting to manhattan then back to an airport and that’s take several hours.

Southwest as Roy mentions imo is your best bet.

I'd try a huge tip to your cabin steward.

Because of security considerations (and the QM2 perhaps takes this more seriously than any other US/UK ship) - I'd be surprised if this would work.

As mentioned, hotels will usually stow your bags for a likely fee and there are stores and companies that will stow your bags - these days attached to an app like https://luggagehero.com/newyork. (Although it appears that most apps are set up for hourly storage, it's worth a shot.) You know your plans best to determine whether a location near the hotel in Manhattan, JFK or the Red Hook pier would be most convenient ...or least inconvenient.

- Mark

Go to the pursers office once on board and they can arrange (for a fee obviously) for your luggage to be stored. You take it off the ship and leave it in a designated place once you are past customs. It will be in your cabin when you board for your return trip.

I can reply to you on this,as we have recently gone through these the same experience and found it very difficult to get answers. We asked our cabin steward to store our small suit carrier and he said that they are not allowed. There is no onboard storage facility offered by Cunard so you have to use luggage concierge services for the sum of $85 per bag. If you self disembark, you simply carry the bag off at 7am and immediately after coming through customs, there is a White Star luggage representative who takes the case from you and off you go. If you are not self disembarking then leave the case outside your stateroom the night before, then collect it from the luggage area and proceed through customs as above. Then cost is per bag, so you can leave a large bag for the same price as a small one ( as long as it meets the normal Cunard requirements for weight etc). On your return to the ship, your bag will be waiting for you outside your stateroom, or so they told us, I have yet to prove this part!

I believe the $85 is for up to 30 days and then there is a part charge for any further time.

In the “proper crossing” thread, the poster kindly provided copies of his daily programme. On the May 12 one (on page 4) is a notice about storing luggage in New York for $85/bag for up to 30 days. You must make arrangements with the purser’s office. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r6mf1915cdhhzva/AABFbspNjvPNfBEJO-cFlBMta?dl=0&preview=May+12+Daily+Programme.pdf

I can reply to you on this,as we have recently gone through these the same experience and found it very difficult to get answers. We asked our cabin steward to store our small suit carrier and he said that they are not allowed. There is no onboard storage facility offered by Cunard so you have to use luggage concierge services for the sum of $85 per bag. If you self disembark, you simply carry the bag off at 7am and immediately after coming through customs, there is a White Star luggage representative who takes the case from you and off you go. If you are not self disembarking then leave the case outside your stateroom the night before, then collect it from the luggage area and proceed through customs as above. Then cost is per bag, so you can leave a large bag for the same price as a small one ( as long as it meets the normal Cunard requirements for weight etc). On your return to the ship, your bag will be waiting for you outside your stateroom, or so they told us, I have yet to prove this part!

I believe the $85 is for up to 30 days and then there is a part charge for any further time.

In the “proper crossing” thread, the poster kindly provided copies of his daily programme. On the May 12 one (on page 4) is a notice about storing luggage in New York for $85/bag for up to 30 days. You must make arrangements with the purser’s office. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r6mf1915cdhhzva/AABFbspNjvPNfBEJO-cFlBMta?dl=0&preview=May+12+Daily+Programme.pdf

Thanks for this. Definitely a consideration rather than the hassle of coping with 3 suitcases and 2 carry-ons whilst negotiating airports and taxis, etc.